Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

where to offroad/mudding/wheeling ??

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 MasonEtAl

MasonEtAl

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 2,648 posts

Posted January 14 2017 - 09:59 AM

Rausch has great trails. If you want to test each your ride and your skills go to Rausch and run the more difficult trails.  Articulation, large rocks, mud, water, tight turns, narrow roads & openings, steep inclines/declines.. make for respectable proving grounds.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 Machria

Machria

Respected Gunowner

• 122 posts
  • LocationSuffolk South Shore

Posted January 15 2017 - 11:55 AM

To make this thread proper, "can you open carry while offroading in a hunting area legally?"

Your welcome!   ;)

#23 LIshoot

LIshoot

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationCentereach

Posted January 15 2017 - 12:31 PM

Rausch has great trails. If you want to test each your ride and your skills go to Rausch and run the more difficult trails. Articulation, large rocks, mud, water, tight turns, narrow roads & openings, steep inclines/declines.. make for respectable proving grounds.

I recall that many places don't let you ride the more difficult trails unless your rig meets certain criteria? So, for those just getting started it might not be a great proving ground to rest the limits of what you had.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

#24 Machria

Machria

Respected Gunowner

• 122 posts
  • LocationSuffolk South Shore

Posted January 15 2017 - 12:46 PM

Doesn't this get mud on your truck???    YUK!!!!      :popcorn

#25 MasonEtAl

MasonEtAl

Gun Guru

• 2,648 posts

Posted January 15 2017 - 03:50 PM

I recall that many places don't let you ride the more difficult trails unless your rig meets certain criteria? So, for those just getting started it might not be a great proving ground to rest the limits of what you had.

Schedule a guided run. They will visually inspect and talk with you and thereafter let you know what you can handle when you get there.  There is a range of trails with different experiences, all of which can be of a benefit.

#26 LIshoot

LIshoot

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationCentereach

Posted January 15 2017 - 03:51 PM

Schedule a guided run. They will visually inspect and talk with you and thereafter let you know what you can handle when you get there. There is a range of trails with different experiences, all of which can be of a benefit.

Alright, I'm interested. Are there any upcoming runs from long Island to Rausch Creek coming up?

I won't be able to go up myself because I don't have any friends with Offroad vehicles and they won't let you go up on your own.

#27 Jakef150

Jakef150

Respected Gunowner

• Club LIF Member
  • 268 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted January 15 2017 - 04:31 PM

Or hit the beach with permit

#28 Steve936

Steve936

Respected Gunowner

• Donated Member
  • 297 posts

Posted January 17 2017 - 08:42 AM

Hey fellas, as far as I know, there are zero legal trails on LI. Any talk about the legality of any "trail" is wrong, there are no legal "trails".

Is there a dirt road here and there that you might be able to drive on without causing a ruckus, sure. But believe me when I tell you, once it gets out that people are "off roading" on them, you will see enforcement.

Dirt roads are boring anyway, and why run the risk that on the day you decide to drive on it, isn't the day they decide to enforce the law.

As someone pointed out earlier, Long Island sucks for our sport or even the casual off roader that thinks they might want t try it.

You have a few options if you think you want to get into it.

There's NORA, Northeast Off Road Adventures in Ellenville NY. Www.NYoffroaddriving.com

It's an off-road school, from beginner to advanced levels. Great operation, run by very experienced off road guys. Legit off roaders.

There's Rausch Creek in PA. 2500 acres of trails from beginner up to advanced. Fully marked, guide yourself with a map they give you or there is an app called maplets that is pretty awesome. 2 truck minimum per group. They also are affiliated with a group that does guided beginner rides up to advanced training. Inquire with them.

And there's Long Island Off Road Club. Established in 1993 making it the oldest, organized off-roading club in our area. They have access to private properties all over the NE for off roading. They also have access to their own 2500acre property up in the Catskills in Delaware County. They have monthly trips to various properties. Everything from bone stock to wild rigs. Complete beginners to guys that have have been doing it for more then 20 years. They have an open to the public event in June on their property with a "101 class" for newbies taught by their experienced guides, camping and trails all weekend for all levels.

They're only interested in people that want to do things legally. They are part of larger organizations that fight to make access for off road vehicles on public property. If you really want to go off road, then look into a club, get involved. Don't drive down a few dirt roads where access to them is questionable and call it "off roading".

#29 Steve936

Steve936

Respected Gunowner

• Donated Member
  • 297 posts

Posted January 17 2017 - 08:55 AM

Or hit the beach with permit

Well, this is actually not a good idea. We are addressing off roading. The beach access permits are not for "off roading". They are for beach access for fishing, surfing etc. Using this permit to go joyriding or off roading on the beach is what is jeapordizing loss of the priveledge for the user group that fought to get it.

There's Yahoos out there very weekend going into the dunes and accessing areas they shouldn't, leaving garbage, damaging the delicate areas....

And driving on sand for the sake of driving on the sand gets boring and really isn't off roading, in my opinion. It's a means to a purpose, like fishing or surfing. Just my .02
  • ProGodProGunProLife likes this

#30 NRATC53

NRATC53

Soon to be Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 20,713 posts

Posted January 17 2017 - 09:06 AM

There are NO LEGAL trails on Long Island.
Join Long Island Offroad.
They have monthly trailrides on legal private property in addition to runs to Rausch Creek.

Rausch Creek is another great place to wheel legally.

Ends this discussion.. LOL

Actually, there are legal places to offroad.  One nice spot is a hundred yards down the road from where everyone loves to shoot: The Brookhaven Range. 8)
Perfectly legal.
There used to be some pretty massive mud back there but they bulldozed the puddles (Probably for mosquito control).  
Some big trucks still get stuck though.
IMAG0722.jpg

These guys chose to wander on to private property and found it difficult to get back!
  IMAG0721.jpg

A lot of those are DEC hunting access trails and a DEC permit is required in order to enter LEGALLY.
And usually it needs to be during hunting season for the purposes of hunting.

The rest are for the Fire Department access for brush fire control.

So while the DEC is choosing not to currently enforce their own rules, they can and will without notice.
I have heard of quads and ATV's being impounded on those very trails and drivers of registered trucks being ticketted for tresspassing by DEC.

And SCPD drive those trails as well, looking for unregistered motor vehicles...

Same goes for Toppings Path and Hot Water Street. Both are non-maintained roads but DEC signs are up EVERYWHERE.
So Be warned.
And the SCPD monitors local offroad message boards for illegal trails as well...So count on them knowing about these places too. ;)

Besides the fact that those are completely boring trails than any sedan can drive on.
Get out to Rausch Creek and see what offroading is about.
A little more than driving on a gravel parking lot or dirt road through some puddles.
http://www.rauschcreekoffroadpark.org/

Many of those are actual roads (although dirt/mud) and are perfectly legal to drive on Cranberry Highway, Hot Water Street, Toppings path to name a few. DEC signs are for the land on each side of the road. DEC clearly marks no access roads as no vehicles allowed

Edited by NRATC53, January 17 2017 - 09:08 AM.

#31 stuc

stuc

Marksman

• Donated Member
  • 95 posts
  • LocationLI

Posted January 17 2017 - 09:37 AM

Thank You Steve 936. The sport fishing  and surfing permits are for the intended purpose only. Not for dune busting. We in the fishing community (LIBBA and others) fight hard to preserve access as well as maintain the compressor and demo. It's a constant battle to keep what little access we have there now.

• NRATC53 likes this

#32 NRATC53

NRATC53

Soon to be Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 20,713 posts

Posted February 14 2017 - 10:02 AM

Thank You Steve 936. The sport fishing  and surfing permits are for the intended purpose only. Not for dune busting. We in the fishing community (LIBBA and others) fight hard to preserve access as well as maintain the compressor and demo. It's a constant battle to keep what little access we have there now.

Yup, can't tell you how many idiots I've pulled out who had no business being there in the first place

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users