Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

where to offroad/mudding/wheeling ??

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 fordboy

fordboy

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 52 posts

Posted January 16 2012 - 09:12 AM

hey 4x4 guys im looking for some new spots to hit this winter i been in 112 trails costco trails and the meadows out east that old horse track or w,e it is.... im looking for new spots maybe fire trails out east or some good mud trails even some private trails on someones property lol also a place with little police activity 112 is blown up cops all over you know what i mean and i got some quads n dirtbikes too thanks local 4x4 guys !!!!

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 scottzilla

scottzilla

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 1,564 posts

Posted January 16 2012 - 09:15 AM

Where are the Costco trails?

#3 fordboy

fordboy

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 52 posts

Posted January 16 2012 - 09:33 AM

Where are the Costco trails?

Costco trails are right behind costco in Holbrook

#4 Edward_Blake

Edward_Blake

The Artist formally known as AR_Guy

• Club LIF Member
  • 6,896 posts

Posted January 16 2012 - 10:09 AM

Maybe avoid the tickets and go here.
http://www.rauschcreekoffroadpark.org/
  • MasonEtAl, libuckhunter and deeda1129 like this

#5 The Architect

The Architect

The Sysop

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 36,800 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted January 16 2012 - 10:25 AM

It's important to know that wherever you go, please do it legally.  

We do NOT entertain illegal 4x4 threads, posts, topics.

Think about the harm your vehicle is doing to private property costing owners, tenants and others thousands of dollars.

#6 fordboy

fordboy

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 52 posts

Posted January 16 2012 - 10:44 AM

hey guys trying to do some LEGAL wheeling around here anyone know of people with property of know someone who allows them to do trail riding on there property thanks guys

#7 The Architect

The Architect

The Sysop

• Administrators
  • 36,800 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted January 16 2012 - 10:47 AM

hey guys trying to do some LEGAL wheeling around here anyone know of people with property of know someone who allows them to do trail riding on there property thanks guys

Sounds like a terrific idea.  Let's try to get some listing(s) together for all to enjoy!

#8 Vertiviper

Vertiviper

Iz'gon'rain

• LIF Site Moderator
  • 4,890 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted January 16 2012 - 10:53 AM

I've been to PA many times to Rausch Creek, as there aren't any legal places to go wheeling on Long Island.

#9 O1SalsaX

O1SalsaX

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2,377 posts

Posted January 16 2012 - 11:06 AM

There are NO LEGAL trails on Long Island.
Join Long Island Offroad.
They have monthly trailrides on legal private property in addition to runs to Rausch Creek.

Rausch Creek is another great place to wheel legally.
  • deeda1129 likes this

#10 The Architect

The Architect

The Sysop

• Administrators
  • 36,800 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted January 16 2012 - 11:09 AM

There are NO LEGAL trails on Long Island.

Ends this discussion.. LOL

#11 scottzilla

scottzilla

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1,564 posts

Posted January 16 2012 - 11:31 AM

Actually, there are legal places to offroad.  One nice spot is a hundred yards down the road from where everyone loves to shoot: The Brookhaven Range. 8)
Perfectly legal.
There used to be some pretty massive mud back there but they bulldozed the puddles (Probably for mosquito control).  
Some big trucks still get stuck though.
Posted Image

These guys chose to wander on to private property and found it difficult to get back!
  Posted Image

#12 scottzilla

scottzilla

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1,564 posts

Posted January 16 2012 - 11:44 AM

Heres another from the CR111 side.
Posted Image

#13 O1SalsaX

O1SalsaX

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2,377 posts

Posted January 16 2012 - 12:29 PM

Actually, there are legal places to offroad.  One nice spot is a hundred yards down the road from where everyone loves to shoot: The Brookhaven Range. 8)
Perfectly legal.
There used to be some pretty massive mud back there but they bulldozed the puddles (Probably for mosquito control).  
Some big trucks still get stuck though.
These guys chose to wander on to private property and found it difficult to get back!

A lot of those are DEC hunting access trails and a DEC permit is required in order to enter LEGALLY.
And usually it needs to be during hunting season for the purposes of hunting.

The rest are for the Fire Department access for brush fire control.

So while the DEC is choosing not to currently enforce their own rules, they can and will without notice.
I have heard of quads and ATV's being impounded on those very trails and drivers of registered trucks being ticketted for tresspassing by DEC.

And SCPD drive those trails as well, looking for unregistered motor vehicles...

Same goes for Toppings Path and Hot Water Street. Both are non-maintained roads but DEC signs are up EVERYWHERE.
So Be warned.
And the SCPD monitors local offroad message boards for illegal trails as well...So count on them knowing about these places too. ;)

Besides the fact that those are completely boring trails than any sedan can drive on.
Get out to Rausch Creek and see what offroading is about.
A little more than driving on a gravel parking lot or dirt road through some puddles.

#14 scottzilla

scottzilla

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1,564 posts

Posted January 16 2012 - 12:37 PM

A lot of those are DEC hunting access trails and a DEC permit is required in order to enter LEGALLY.
And usually it needs to be during hunting season for the purposes of hunting.

The rest are for the Fire Department access for brush fire control.

So while the DEC is choosing not to currently enforce their own rules, they can and will without notice.
I have heard of quads and ATV's being impounded on those very trails and drivers of registered trucks being ticketted for tresspassing by DEC.

And SCPD drive those trails as well, looking for unregistered motor vehicles...

Same goes for Toppings Path and Hot Water Street. Both are non-maintained roads but DEC signs are up EVERYWHERE.
So Be warned.
And the SCPD monitors local offroad message boards for illegal trails as well...So count on them knowing about these places too. ;)

Besides the fact that those are completely boring trails than any sedan can drive on.
Get out to Rausch Creek and see what offroading is about.
A little more than driving on a gravel parking lot or dirt road through some puddles.

ATV's get impounded because unless ridden on your own property (Or with written permission from the property owner) they are illegal.
They check for hunting licenses but you cannot be given a ticket for tresspassing unless you wander off the allowable trail (The legal trail) and into hiking trails or areas marked "No motorized vehicles".
It is not illegal to drive the trail we are discussing.
I could care less if the cops are reading this post-nothing illegal is being discussed. ;)
You can drive past BH range and drive the trails back there and you are not doing anything illegal.

#15 scottzilla

scottzilla

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 1,564 posts

Posted January 16 2012 - 12:39 PM

Forget to mention....
A "Sedan" will make it 10 feet before being stopped in it's tracks.  Not the toughest trails but let's be honest: most SUV's aren't all that tough.

#16 fordboy

fordboy

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 52 posts

Posted January 17 2012 - 11:09 PM

hell where are these trails hopefully add some 12in of snow and ice and these trails will make the local jeep kids break out there winches lol i been to Rausch Creek to me its ok but i like the southern style bogs and mudholes

#17 P.B.

P.B.

Advanced Member

• Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted January 29 2012 - 08:50 PM

man those trails look nice

#18 jlk265

jlk265

Sharp Shooter!

• Established Member
  • 356 posts

Posted April 05 2012 - 01:37 PM

If anyone is up for organizing a Rouch Creek LIF trip (im sure plenty of us have our PA licenses!) I'd certainly be up for it.  Any takers?

#19 LIshoot

LIshoot

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationCentereach

Posted January 13 2017 - 10:52 PM

Any developments on this topic? I found topping path and hot water st on Google maps and figured since they're listed as public roads then they are legal to drive on?

Do I just need a hunting permit?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

#20 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 19,364 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted January 14 2017 - 06:32 AM

All the fun things I do are outside of NYS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users