Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

LI Outdoorsman, RVC

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 O1SalsaX

O1SalsaX

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2,005 posts

Posted November 18 2009 - 03:24 PM

I really don't like posting negative threads about local retailers but this had got to be shared...
I gave this shop several chances and every single time they have failed to provide me with accurate info.

On one of my first visits, this guy that was showing me handguns (mainly glocks) was trying to convince me that POST-BAN high cap mags are perfectly legal to own as long as your pistol is PRE-BAN.
I disputed this, obviously, but it still didn't sit right with me knowing that this guy was offering advice that end you up in Jail for a FELONY.

I gave them another chance recently, just wanted to check out their used hanguns since they were local.
I regretted giving them that..
Once again, he offered up completely false info. But, he did correct the pre-ban /post-ban discussion I had on my first visit.
He said that they "recently changed the laws" and the high-cap mag has to be pre-ban only unless you are LE.

This visit, he blew me away with some of the handguns I looked at were marked LE on the tag.
He said that he couldn't sell them to me if I wasn't LE. I assumed Hi-cap mags, but I was wrong.
They only have 8 or 9 round mags since they were subcompacts.
He said that he couldn't sell them to me because it had a magazine disconnect. So it wouldn't fire when the mag was ejected, even if there was one in the chamber.
WTF?!
He used the same thing with non-LE aren't allowed to have Night-sights on a factory gun.

Wow!!

So, I'm totally done with this place.
I hope anyone that is on here saves themselves the headache and continues on to ANY other shop instead.

#2 ten ring

ten ring

Sharp Shooter!

• Banned
  • 300 posts

Posted November 18 2009 - 03:27 PM

You don't go to a bait station to buy a gun IMHO. That says it all about this place.:damn "Doc"
NRA Endowment Life
NYSRPA
USAS
NMLRA

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you!

#3 bachi

bachi

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,147 posts

Posted November 18 2009 - 03:41 PM

O1SalsaX said:

On one of my first visits, this guy that was showing me handguns (mainly glocks) was trying to convince me that POST-BAN high cap mags are perfectly legal to own as long as your pistol is PRE-BAN.
I disputed this, obviously, but it still didn't sit right with me knowing that this guy was offering advice that end you up in Jail for a FELONY.

That is funny, bec a guy there gave me the same advice, I thought he was just trying to be a gun shop version of a used car salesman. I do not think I will ever buy a gun there (unless it is a great deal of course),  however, they sometimes have good deals on ammo, and they will let you buy them out , no limit on the amount.

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
EMT-Paramedic

#4 O1SalsaX

O1SalsaX

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 2,005 posts

Posted November 18 2009 - 03:50 PM

I NEVER saw a good deal on 9mm or .22lr ammo over there.
In fact they were more money than Dicks or Sports Authority.
A 40 pack of reloaded 9mm for $20?! No thanks..

In fact, I did notice a sign on the 50 packs of 9mm Gold Dots saying "L.E. ONLY".
LOL
If you drive down to South shore sportsman or Hunter Sports, you can buy 50 packs of Gold Dots, why not there?!

Even if they are basically giving stuff away, it's not worth the headache involved.

#5 deerhunter

deerhunter

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted December 31 2009 - 10:52 PM

I have been shopping at the Long Island Outdoorsman for more that 4 years and the Family owned store is on the ball and has never given me bad advice in the 4 years i've been shopping there. The A.T.F. uphold the laws in NYS. a preband mag can only go into a new gun IF IT IS STAMPED WITH A DATE to make it PRE BAND. If you people are going to bash a gun srore you should know what you talking about.
The young lady at the Long Island Outdoorsman has been in the gun buisness for over 20 YEARS and HAS NEVER BEEN RAIDED BY THE ATF. or been finded or there FFL been taken away like some other gun stores, think about that next time you go into your locale gun store

#6 M14BULLETTS

M14BULLETTS

Gun Guru

• Banned
  • 5,029 posts

Posted December 31 2009 - 11:02 PM

I have stopped in a few times , never bought anything. I have also been told funny things there.  If they treat you right and price it right go there if not use your head.  But be carefull with the info you get
GENE

FORMER GOLD/CLUB MEMBER NOW P/T LURKER

#7 The Architect

The Architect

The Sysop

• Administrators
  • 35,174 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted December 31 2009 - 11:30 PM

deerhunter said:

I have been shopping at the Long Island Outdoorsman for more that 4 years and the Family owned store is on the ball and has never given me bad advice in the 4 years i've been shopping there. The A.T.F. uphold the laws in NYS. a preband mag can only go into a new gun IF IT IS STAMPED WITH A DATE to make it PRE BAND. If you people are going to bash a gun srore you should know what you talking about.
The young lady at the Long Island Outdoorsman has been in the gun buisness for over 20 YEARS and HAS NEVER BEEN RAIDED BY THE ATF. or been finded or there FFL been taken away like some other gun stores, think about that next time you go into your locale gun store

Ronald,
Hello.  Thanks for signing up. Please make certain you validate your membership here before posting.   I find it a little odd that your first and only post is to back up a store.

See you around the boards.

Check out our new raffles area, buy/sell/trade area, and official store today!

Remember that disputes on LIF are accessible to everyone on the Internet. The way in which you conduct yourself on LIF reflects on LIF and on you. Personal attacks will never help you make a point; they hurt the community and deter users from helping create a good community. We understand frustrations surrounding the 'NYSAFE' law which took effect 'behind closed doors'. Rest assured LIF will be addressing this in the very near future.

#8 bachi

bachi

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,147 posts

Posted January 01 2010 - 12:10 AM

deerhunter said:

I apologize if I sound rude, but I do not understand what your are trying to say. Just because a Store has never been raided by the ATF (which actually upholds federal firearm laws and not NYS laws) does not prove that they are not spreading misinformation.  I am happy to hear that you shop at a local store and have had a good experience there. I think they are very nice people also, but the fact remains that they did give me misinformation, and some other members of this forum received similar misinformation. I know some of the members that have posted in this thread and they are honest good people who do not have an agenda or vendetta to hurt this establishment.

On a second note, your statement regarding pre ban mags is not correct, not all pre ban mags have dates, from my limited experience many do not, some have markings or features only ( like Glock caliber placement and notches), others are indistinguishable from  ban and post ban mags. In reality, regarding hi cap mags it is buyer beware, if one gets stopped they may be hassled.

Furthermore, you state that you know that this establishment has never been fined or raided by the ATF, how do you know this as a fact. Please site your source.

On one last note, for the benefit of the members who wish to exchange ideas with you and others on this forum, please try to check your spelling and syntax, it was a little difficult to follow your post.  

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
EMT-Paramedic

#9 OH UNCLE PAUL

OH UNCLE PAUL

Bayley we miss you. 1/10/99 3/29/13

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 11,055 posts
  • LocationTo my right is a rock, my left a hard place

Posted January 01 2010 - 12:27 AM

deerhunter said:

Yeah, I have issues. So what.
I find it interesting. As my age, experience, and knowledge expands. My tolerance shrinks

The FSA (Free Stuff Army) along with "I'm special" attitude is going to be the death of this wonderful country. I'm tired of paying for your stuff and you're only special to your family. Get over it.

#10 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted January 01 2010 - 02:26 AM

i just wanted to make sure this is the store on 110 in farmingdale? the driveway is a down hill and the store is right in front of you?

#11 bachi

bachi

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,147 posts

Posted January 01 2010 - 02:32 AM

i just wanted to make sure this is the store on 110 in farmingdale? the driveway is a down hill and the store is right in front of you?

this si the one I was referring to @ 434 Sunrise Hwy.• Rockville Centre, NY 11570
http://www.lioutdoorsman.com/

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
EMT-Paramedic

#12 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted January 01 2010 - 02:46 AM

oh ok. never been there. i know there was one with a similar name on rt 110 in farmingdale. i went in there and the 2 gentlemen couldnt be bothered helping me so i left.

#13 bachi

bachi

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,147 posts

Posted January 01 2010 - 02:53 AM

oh ok. never been there. i know there was one with a similar name on rt 110 in farmingdale. i went in there and the 2 gentlemen couldnt be bothered helping me so i left.

the site description sounds like  American Outdoor Sportsman
http://www.americanoutdoorsports.com/

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
EMT-Paramedic

#14 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted January 01 2010 - 02:55 AM

yea thats the place i was thinking about.

#15 bachi

bachi

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,147 posts

Posted January 01 2010 - 03:05 AM

yea thats the place i was thinking about.

I was there last week, the roof was leaking, and the place was a mess , apparently the are building a new facility and they sold this building so they are not putting any money into upkeep. The guys behind the counter were really nice and had some nice well priced pistols, they are also having a big sale on all non firearms related items, apparently the new space will only be a gun shop and not a sportsman store. They also told me that they will have a new range at the new location. looking forward to seeing what they put together.

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
EMT-Paramedic

#16 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted January 01 2010 - 03:21 AM

when i went in there about 2 weeks ago i was looking at the pistol cases for about 20 mins and kept looking over at the gentlemen behind the counter and he didnt come over to me at all, i then went over by him and he was in a in debt personal conversation so i waited a minute standing closer to him still nothing and then i left. i guess they see alot of younger people looking at guns and dont even bother because most of them dont have permits and like to just waiste their time but i was shopping for a pistol and went to spend money elsewhere. and yes the roof was leaking when i was in there as well

#17 _

_

Gun Guru

• Banned
  • 5,707 posts

Posted January 01 2010 - 07:12 AM

deerhunter said:

store is highly overpriced and maybe one person "the lady" knows what shes doing but that doesnt make the shop any better (check my post on them regarding 12g slugs and my 30 minute adventure) Ive been there many times just to have honest opinions of my local shops

just because the ATF doesn't raid you, you don't get a sticker.

I have seen people come in 3-4 times there for re-sighting on their rifles because the "expert" who sighted it in @100 yards apparently couldn't hit paper.

for the cost of their products and lack of product knowledge id rather shop at Walmart or Sports Authority

#18 artburg

artburg

It takes hard work to be hated

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 5,055 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County Jail

Posted January 01 2010 - 07:49 AM

deerhunter said:

I assume you meant pre ban,your statement is false.ATF visits all stores to check their workings now and then,sort of like an audit.Or thats what an ATF supervisor told me. :)
I stopped there after not going there for years and was told I could not look at handguns because my son was with me and he was under
the legal age to be with 50ft of such firearms?? I asked"Then I guess he can't come in the store or my house then too??"Was told no ??
Like everything else some people like,some don't.

By the way welcome to the site and Happy Newyear!!!!!!!
Paid for by Artburg for President 2116
I'm artburg and I approve this message

NYS Glock Adoption Center director,I give all unwanted Glocks  a good home regardless of size and caliber :)     

NRA MEMBER
FORMER MEMBER OF MY OWN FAN CLUB
MONSTER addict in denial,now off the wagon...wait back on it,maybe
Honorary HOOTERS GIRL
Member of the Ugly Feet Club

Did You Know FedCop2012 is a Cop FanClub Memeber

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users