Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

AMERICAN OUTDOOR SPORTS (FARMINGDALE)

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#1 norad58

norad58

Marksman

• Banned
  • 74 posts

Posted September 15 2009 - 01:23 PM

I have bought several rifles at American Outdoor Sports.  Theyve always been a little rude and, what i like to call, "gun shop attitudinal".  Im used to it as I cant ever pass up a gun shop without taking a look so Ive been in polite and not so polite shops.  As long as youre not directly disrespecting me, i can overlook some people who seem to think that because they may know a little bit about something they feel theyre an authority about anything.  
About two weeks ago as i was doing my occasional crawl through all of the usual gun L.I. shops to take a look and see what they have.  I called for their hours and they said they would be closing at 5:30.  I told them that i would be there shortly to look at some handguns.  I arrived at 4:45 and they were already putting away the small collection of handguns that they have for sale.  Mind you i drove out from NYC to take a look.  Ok no prob Ill just look at some rifles.  There were three workers there and I couldnt get any of them to help me and seemed to bothering them.  Ok, while Im here let me see if they have any CZ-52s which I have been looking for for a while.  I asked a clerk who was tall, goofy looking, with a crew cut and glasses if i remember correctly, if they had any CZ-52's  in stock.  The answer I got was a loud, rude, retarded sounding "WHA?!!".  I repeated and he dismissively said "I dont know what that is." and went back to putting away handguns and ignoring my follow up question.  I walked out and swore I would never go back.  Wasted trip, gas and time.  Vowed to never return and would never give them any more of my business...EVER...NO MATTER THE DEAL...NO MATTER THE PRICE.
Once when I was just beginning to get into firearms I was at the same store and made the mistake of asking, out of curiosity, if one needed to have a handgun permit to buy handgun ammunition.  The really short guy with the dyed hair and pompadour (i think hes the owner) LITERALLY laughed in my face along with the big, retarded clerk and never directly answered my question.  Just stood there laughing loudly and long right in my face.  I was a bit younger back then and was sometimes reluctant to confront asshole behavior so I just walked out.  I thought that it could have been a moment where a young shooter (and potential customer) could have been educated on what is required to purchase handgun ammo and perhaps become a valued customer in the future...but no.  
With that said the guy in there with the pony tail is pretty knowledgeable and helpful when hes not busy...but I will never be back.

PS-I now have a CCW permit for NYS and own many, many guns and buy them all of the time.  Guess who's never gotten a penny of my money since then and never will... ;)

#2 The Architect

The Architect

The Sysop

• Administrators
  • 34,327 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted September 15 2009 - 01:28 PM

Turning down business.. Wow.  I'd like to be them.. they must be rich!

Check out our new raffles area, buy/sell/trade area, and official store today!

Remember that disputes on LIF are accessible to everyone on the Internet. The way in which you conduct yourself on LIF reflects on LIF and on you. Personal attacks will never help you make a point; they hurt the community and deter users from helping create a good community. We understand frustrations surrounding the 'NYSAFE' law which took effect 'behind closed doors'. Rest assured LIF will be addressing this in the very near future.

#3 Vertiviper

Vertiviper

Iz'gon'rain

• Board Moderator
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted September 15 2009 - 01:29 PM

Good story, that sounds about right. When the owner of that place spoke up at the last S.A.F.E. meeting during a raffle, I didn't bother clapping my hands.

More importantly....you got a CCW permit DEEP behind enemy lines. Wow.  8)
Rosie O'Donnell

#4 nyguns

nyguns

Moved to Texas!!

• 2,136 posts

Posted September 15 2009 - 01:29 PM

It's the customers in that shop that scare me more. You will see some highly recommended shops listed in this forum to choose from.

Welcome to LIF.
NRA Lifetime Member
-------
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain

#5 The Architect

The Architect

The Sysop

• Administrators
  • 34,327 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted September 15 2009 - 01:41 PM

LIF does not lean toward any specific firearm shop.  However if you do your reading, Im certain you will find ones that are good and those that are bad :)

norad58,
Stop by the Welcome Mat and make an introduction :)

Check out our new raffles area, buy/sell/trade area, and official store today!

Remember that disputes on LIF are accessible to everyone on the Internet. The way in which you conduct yourself on LIF reflects on LIF and on you. Personal attacks will never help you make a point; they hurt the community and deter users from helping create a good community. We understand frustrations surrounding the 'NYSAFE' law which took effect 'behind closed doors'. Rest assured LIF will be addressing this in the very near future.

#6 Dazzo

Dazzo

Gun Guru

• 868 posts

Posted September 15 2009 - 01:49 PM

Ahh...good old American Outdoor Sports...yup, you pretty much hit the nail on the head norad58, that's the same type of service me and my buddies get when we go. They pretty much just service the true outdoor hunters and long guns shopper...guess they must have built up a good clientele back in the day.

Not worth stopping in for handguns...the few that they have are pretty much used, and old stock...if you can even see them through the 80 year old scratched and taped up glass counter.  Great location, with a little soap and water and some friendly service, that place would be a gold mine.
NRA Life Member

#7 norad58

norad58

Marksman

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • 74 posts

Posted September 15 2009 - 01:49 PM

I really dont know how they stay in business.  No matter.  Their guns are crap and overpriced.  They were convenient when the range nearby was actually open. :B

#8 JChris97

JChris97

Gun Guru

• 1,370 posts
  • LocationTyler, Texas

Posted September 15 2009 - 01:52 PM

Unfortunately, as many of us know, this is a very common problem with gun shops on Long Island.
As Steve suggested, read through some of the threads here, to find what others are saying about our shops.
John

What part of "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" don't you understand ?

PROUD MEMBER:   NRA,  SASI,  NYSRPA,  LIF,  OLD BETHPAGE  R & P  

It is the soldier:
Who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag,

that allows the protester to burn the flag

#9 oldct

oldct

Sharp Shooter!

• 488 posts

Posted September 15 2009 - 01:52 PM

They are a bunch of A**HOLES in that store  I will never shop there.
A few years ago I stopped in there looking for a Kimber,  they had a used one in stock.It was nice but not the one I was looking for. When i ask the man who i think was the owner ,short black hire guy with a glasses ,he snapped  at me "there is nothing wrong with the one we have just buy that".I replayed it is not the one I want.He then told me "you don't know what you want." Need less to say I told him you just lost a customer and walk out.

I don't know how they are still in business. Everyone i know that has been in that stores tells me they will not go back. When my friends ask me where to get things i tell the not to go there.

#10 ten ring

ten ring

Sharp Shooter!

• Banned
  • 300 posts

Posted September 15 2009 - 01:57 PM

Add my ditto to my opini9ons of AOS---they are without a doubt the rudest, nastiest individuals including the owner who is the worst of the lot. I walked out of there ten years ago and wouldn't dirty my shoes crossing their threshold. :damn
NRA Endowment Life
NYSRPA
USAS
NMLRA

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you!

#11 norad58

norad58

Marksman

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • 74 posts

Posted September 15 2009 - 01:58 PM

Yeah the little guy has a Napoleon complex or something.  How can you as a business owner, in good conscience, treat returning customers and potential new customers like that?  Its unfortunate in this climate where gunshops are generally going the way of the dinosaur that owners would treat people this way.  Theyll eventually go out of business and I will laugh and continue to shoot the weapons I bought elsewhere.

#12 norad58

norad58

Marksman

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • 74 posts

Posted September 15 2009 - 01:59 PM

BTW...I think his brother is the owner of the Henry Rifle Co.  The informercial is on TV more and more often now.  He should take a few pointer from his brother on how to do business as I believe that Henry has excellent customer service.

#13 norad58

norad58

Marksman

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • 74 posts

Posted September 15 2009 - 02:02 PM

Vertiviper said:

Good story, that sounds about right. When the owner of that place spoke up at the last S.A.F.E. meeting during a raffle, I didn't bother clapping my hands.

More importantly....you got a CCW permit DEEP behind enemy lines. Wow.  8)

Indeed!  I have a place with acreage up by Lake Placid, NY and got my permit through that address.  I can carry anywhere in the state except (DRUM ROLL PLEASE)...NYC >:(
Sometimes you have to work around things to exercise your rights.

#14 lonewolf5347

lonewolf5347

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1,108 posts

Posted September 15 2009 - 02:08 PM

The shop use to be ok. when they were on conklin st.
I don't know if any one here go back that far?
There use to be a great guy there (not the owner) Tommy man you can talk guns all day with this guy,The owner a retired suffolk county police officer (angleo) nice guy back then but the $$ went to his head
The gun guys there now a worth a plug nickle

#15 husker

husker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted September 15 2009 - 02:10 PM

I have been there a few times and always left with out buying something just because they dont know how to talk to people.
I know it is not nice to say but i hope they go out of business

#16 Vertiviper

Vertiviper

Iz'gon'rain

• Board Moderator
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted September 15 2009 - 02:13 PM

husker said:

I have been there a few times and always left with out buying something just because they dont know how to talk to people.
I know it is not nice to say but i hope they go out of business

They just need new management.
Rosie O'Donnell

#17 Dazzo

Dazzo

Gun Guru

• 868 posts

Posted September 15 2009 - 02:14 PM

wow...poll has  American Outdoor Sports with      (13 votes)  6.05%

so I guess there are a couple of guys keeping them in business....

NRA Life Member

#18 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted September 15 2009 - 02:19 PM

I bought one gun from them... Thats was almost 6 yrs ago, back then I had no problems. They were a bit high last time I went price checking...

#19 ramit

ramit

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 882 posts

Posted September 15 2009 - 02:38 PM

I've been in there a bunch of times, while at their present location, which seems like foreever.
In the beginning , not too bad, and bought some odds and ends there.

Last few trips, expensive and same experiences as above.

About 2wks ago, I stopped in, much much more in stock, and the shrimp was actually nice to me, showed me some Garands, and 03a3, and those prices were nearly inline. Almost went for an 03a3 there, but found one at Orion 7 (rather spend my money at Tony's anyway).

#20 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• 7,328 posts

Posted September 15 2009 - 02:49 PM

lonewolf5347 said:

The shop use to be ok. when they were on conklin st.
I don't know if any one here go back that far?
There use to be a great guy there (not the owner) Tommy man you can talk guns all day with this guy,The owner a retired suffolk county police officer (angleo) nice guy back then but the $$ went to his head
The gun guys there now a worth a plug nickle

Conklin???.....  I remember they were across 110 from where they are now, 22-3 years ago,  a block or so south I think? But on Conklin???

Pete

"It ain't the guns stupid - It's the CRIMINALS!"

"Never try to teach a pig how to sing...it just wastes your time - and annoys the pig." - Robert Anson Heinlein

Prayer for obama - Psalm 109:8 ~ "Let his days be few and brief; and let others step forward to replace him."

Mom, 20 Sept. 1944 - 22 Sept 2010 RIP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users