Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Scoping a 1911 ??

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 T.Webb

T.Webb

Assault is a behavior; Not a weapon.

• 11,751 posts
  • LocationS.W. Suffolk; Stephentown, NY

Posted January 22 2011 - 08:49 PM

I'm looking to scope an inexpensive 1911. My GSG 1911-.22.

I can't use the mounts that replace the grip panels.

I don't have a rail.

Drilling and tapping the slide would cost more than the gun is worth.

I've seen this under frame mount online, but I have no clue how it mounts. Any ideas ??

My mind is like a steel trap ... Rusty and Illegal in 34 states.

We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control.

May God Bless the USA, and our troops!

#2 Postal Bob

Postal Bob

Gun Guru

• 3,191 posts

Posted January 22 2011 - 10:08 PM

It may be drilled and tapped from the bottom. The problem I see with this mount is that it's mounted towards of the front of the gun, with the weight of the scope towards the back. So it's subject to more upward recoil force. I would expect a seesaw type of effect during recoil. Maybe even causing more front flip up of the gun. Your gun being a .22 shouldn't have much front flip at all, but i think a regular .45 would have it.
Evil beware, Postal Bob is here!
---------------------------------
NROI/ USPSA Range Officer
Vice President Grumman Rod and Rifle Club

#3 CaptainMitchell

CaptainMitchell

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 5,558 posts

Posted January 22 2011 - 10:18 PM

I believe that mounts to a lower rail (where a light or laser would go)and floats above the slide.
Proud member of the NRA. Proud member of Club LIF. Donate Blood. Save a life!

#4 sbninja

sbninja

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 533 posts

Posted January 22 2011 - 10:21 PM

T.Webb said:

I'm looking to scope an inexpensive 1911. My GSG 1911-.22.

I can't use the mounts that replace the grip panels.

I don't have a rail.

Drilling and tapping the slide would cost more than the gun is worth.

I've seen this under frame mount online, but I have no clue how it mounts. Any ideas ??

Why cant you use the mounts that replace the grip panel? like this one?http://www.brownells...RIP_SCOPE_MOUNT

Is it because of the ambi safety? you could maybe modify the grip mount to accommodate.

#5 T.Webb

T.Webb

• Topic Starter
  • 11,751 posts

Posted January 23 2011 - 01:10 PM

sbninja said:

Why cant you use the mounts that replace the grip panel? like this one?http://www.brownells...RIP_SCOPE_MOUNT

Is it because of the ambi safety? you could maybe modify the grip mount to accommodate.

2 Problems. First the ambi safety. Second, I'm anal. Both grips need to match each other.

#6 cas

cas

115:5

• 4,021 posts

Posted January 23 2011 - 02:20 PM

So you have a problem with the grips not matching, but no problem with a scope on a 1911?  :P

#7 DILLIGAS

DILLIGAS

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 584 posts
  • LocationSmithtown, NY

Posted January 23 2011 - 03:25 PM

Get a pistol scope with dovetail mount and replace the original rear sight with it. Problem solved. I plan to do the same thing as soon as I have the money for the scope I want.
Join Date April 6th 2009 - Member Number 98

NRA Member

When the man said "Alcohol Tobacco & Firearms" I thought he was here to make a delivery!
Author unknown (At least to me!)

#8 T.Webb

T.Webb

• Topic Starter
  • 11,751 posts

Posted January 23 2011 - 03:46 PM

cas said:

So you have a problem with the grips not matching, but no problem with a scope on a 1911?  :P

What can I tell you Glen ?? I'm wierd.

#9 cas

cas

115:5

• 4,021 posts

Posted January 23 2011 - 05:07 PM

DILLIGAS said:

Get a pistol scope with dovetail mount and replace the original rear sight with it. Problem solved. I plan to do the same thing as soon as I have the money for the scope I want.

Not sure I'm following you on that?  

Any "slide ride" dot or scope (one that reciprocates with the slide) takes a hell of a beating. There are very few on the market that will take the punishment for very long and even those get iffy.  The ultra light Dr. Optic style ones seem to be the only ones that stand a chance.

TWebb.. since you don't have lots of money invested in the gun, and it's not an heirloom piece, you're best bet might be getting it D&T'd for a real bridge mount from one of the many makers.  The only problem there is the mount and D&T'ing 6-8 holes might cost you as much as the gun.  Though you might be able to pick up an older used mount on one of the IPSC forums.

#10 DILLIGAS

DILLIGAS

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 584 posts
  • LocationSmithtown, NY

Posted January 23 2011 - 05:39 PM

cas said:

Not sure I'm following you on that?  

Any "slide ride" dot or scope (one that reciprocates with the slide) takes a hell of a beating. There are very few on the market that will take the punishment for very long and even those get iffy.  The ultra light Dr. Optic style ones seem to be the only ones that stand a chance.

TWebb.. since you don't have lots of money invested in the gun, and it's not an heirloom piece, you're best bet might be getting it D&T'd for a real bridge mount from one of the many makers.  The only problem there is the mount and D&T'ing 6-8 holes might cost you as much as the gun.  Though you might be able to pick up an older used mount on one of the IPSC forums.

I thought the same thing myself before I was told by some guys at a local bullseye club that this type of mount is OK. I'd like to hear from other people if they ever used this type of mount and what they think of it.
Join Date April 6th 2009 - Member Number 98

NRA Member

When the man said "Alcohol Tobacco & Firearms" I thought he was here to make a delivery!
Author unknown (At least to me!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users