Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

CT banned gun list

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 ahesse1488

ahesse1488

_ _ _ _!

• Donated Member
  • 4,289 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted September 16 2011 - 11:20 AM

CT AWB is like ours in that you can have 2 of a set of baby slaughtering features. Unlike NY, they have no mag capacity restrictions and they have a list of specific weapons one cannot own.  The list is below:

Any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire at the option of the user or any of the following specified semiautomatic firearms:  Algimec Agmi; Armalite AR-180; Australian Automatic Arms SAP Pistol; Auto-Ordnance Thompson type; Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type; Barrett Light-Fifty model 82A1; Beretta AR-70; Bushmaster Auto Rifle and Auto Pistol; Calico models M-900, M-950 and 100-P; Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88; Colt AR-15 and Sporter; Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max-1 and Max-2; Encom MK-IV, MP-9 and MP-45; Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FN/FNC; FAMAS MAS 223; Feather AT-9 and Mini-AT; Federal XC-900 and XC-450; Franchi SPAS-12 and LAW-12; Galil AR and ARM; Goncz High-Tech Carbine and High-Tech Long Pistol; Heckler & Koch HK-91, HK-93, HK-94 and SP-89; Holmes MP-83; MAC-10, MAC-11 Carbien type; Intratec TEC-9 and Scorpion; Iver Johnson Enforcer model 3000; Ruger Mini-14/5F folding stock model only; Scarab Skorpion; SIG 57 AMT and 500 Series; Spectre Auto Carbine and Auto Pistol; Springfield Armory BM59, SAR-48 and G-3; Sterling MK-6 and MK-7; Steyr AUG; Street Sweeper and Striker 12 revolving cylinder shotguns; USAS-12; USI Carbine, Mini-Carbine and Pistol; Weaver Arms Nighthawk; Wilkinson "Linda" Pistol.

My question is, for example, they have listed an FN FAL, does that mean I can have any other FAL other than a Fabrique Nationale FAL?

#2 O1SalsaX

O1SalsaX

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2,005 posts

Posted September 16 2011 - 11:28 AM

when they used "type" after all of the rifle names, does that mean that AR or AK clones are not allowed?
Like NY bans rifles by name, i.e. HK MP5, Colt AR-15, etc..but you are allowed to own clones of those rifles as long as it's doesn't say "AR-15" on it..

Is there any interpretation in CT's ban like this?

And aren't you allowed to own NFA items in CT as well? (supressors, SBR's)

#3 SteveG

SteveG

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 5,947 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted September 16 2011 - 11:32 AM

O1SalsaX said:

when they used "type" after all of the rifle names, does that mean that AR or AK clones are not allowed?
Like NY bans rifles by name, i.e. HK MP5, Colt AR-15, etc..but you are allowed to own clones of those rifles as long as it's doesn't say "AR-15" on it..

Is there any interpretation in CT's ban like this?

And aren't you allowed to own NFA items in CT as well? (supressors, SBR's)

I just checked a website (forgot to get hte address so I could post it)
According to that site, anyone owning one of these arms when the law was passed had to register them with the CSP to retain them. If you were found with one of them and they were not registered after the grace period, you would not be arrested but the gun would be considered contraband and it would be forfeited.  According to that site the term "type" included any firearm actually labeled as it is indicated in the list or any gun that is close in appearance although "type"  is not very clear in the explantion. Also there is no exemption for an out fo stater coming into CT to shoot at one of the ranges there.
I will try to find the site again and get the address and post it here.
Steve

#4 SteveG

SteveG

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 5,947 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted September 16 2011 - 11:35 AM

Here is the site
The info appears to go back a ways but it may be useful:

http://www.ctsportsm...till_active.htm
Steve

#5 Digman81

Digman81

Sharp Shooter!

• 482 posts
  • LocationSouth Setauket

Posted September 16 2011 - 12:58 PM

The list pretty much covers any semi-auo rifles with a pistol grip.  :jawdrop   I will never move to CT!

#6 O1SalsaX

O1SalsaX

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2,005 posts

Posted September 16 2011 - 01:21 PM

Digman81 said:

The list pretty much covers any semi-auo rifles with a pistol grip.  :jawdrop   I will never move to CT!

yet NFA machine guns are allowed...Odd

#7 ahesse1488

ahesse1488

_ _ _ _!

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 4,289 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted September 16 2011 - 01:43 PM

Digman81 said:

It must be by exact brand because I know people in CT who have AR's and AK's

#8 SteveG

SteveG

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 5,947 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted September 16 2011 - 01:48 PM

ahesse1488 said:

It must be by exact brand because I know people in CT who have AR's and AK's

It IS by exact brand AND Model. But that doesn;t necessarily mean you can;t have them. According to the website posted above, you could have them if you owned them and registered them. I don;t know if that changed since that website published.
Steve

#9 hydtguy

hydtguy

just working to improve,one round at a time

• 1,680 posts
  • Locationplainview

Posted September 16 2011 - 03:48 PM

I guess you can’t take off the heat thinngy or the thing on the end that makes the flash look like  little yellow daises to make the thing compliant.

I wish I could move to Texas………

#10 HKFANBOY

HKFANBOY

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationDreaming of a free state

Posted September 16 2011 - 03:55 PM

Digman81 said:

Yeah, but they have unrestricted CCW.

#11 warmnfuzzyar

warmnfuzzyar

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 5,894 posts

Posted September 16 2011 - 03:58 PM

I think its a machine gun state also.
...........  " what does not kill me makes me sleepy "

#12 Pat M

Pat M

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationBay Shore

Posted September 16 2011 - 04:25 PM

"Colt AR-15 and Sporter."  Great, specify the one that is manufactured in your own state and allow your residents to own all the others.  Not good for business.  "Auto Ordnance Thompson type".......guess they're worried about mobsters and moonshiners, a return to the roaring twenties.  These lists are absurd.

#13 ahesse1488

ahesse1488

_ _ _ _!

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 4,289 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted September 16 2011 - 04:41 PM

Pat M said:

"Colt AR-15 and Sporter."  Great, specify the one that is manufactured in your own state and allow your residents to own all the others.  Not good for business.  "Auto Ordnance Thompson type".......guess they're worried about mobsters and moonshiners, a return to the roaring twenties.  These lists are absurd.

Lol, I forgot Colt is in CT, and I never really picked up on how silly the Thompson being on the list is (we all know how those gang bangers are historical replica collectors, WTF?). Geez. Stupidity at it's finest.

#14 blue70chevelle

blue70chevelle

Respected Gunowner

• 231 posts

Posted September 16 2011 - 05:44 PM

The funny thing is, is that they allow SBR's and Machine guns, but they have to be ban compliant if not built on a pre-ban receiver.. Seriously, you have a machine gun, but cant have a bayo lug or telescoping stock.. lol (assuming you drop a RDIAS in a new lower)

#15 Pat M

Pat M

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationBay Shore

Posted September 16 2011 - 06:19 PM

.....and you may not possess that shoulder thingy that flips up.    

#16 Redleg

Redleg

Respected Gunowner

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 145 posts

Posted September 16 2011 - 08:05 PM

To purchase or own an assault type rifle you must have a vaild Connecticut pistol permit.  The AWB had gone into effect in 1994 therefore any receiver manufactured before that date can be built to factory specifications. This includes Armscorp, Latta (Argentine), Imbel (undated) and other domestic receivers.
"Never take a pistol to a gunfight."

#17 TheMongoose

TheMongoose

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,683 posts
  • LocationNear the DMZ

Posted September 18 2011 - 01:28 AM

CT is far better than NY in regards to the toys you can have. Clones of the orginal banned rifles are allowed, as long as muzzle comps and not flash hiders are permanently installed.  Not sure about bayonet lugs, but so what.  You can have cans, sbr's, sbs's, hi caps and full auto only (select fire is bad for some reason).  My CT carry license (non resident) was issued in a timely fashion.  Soooo, all in all not so bad.  Oh, and property taxes are lower too.
NRA Member
SAF Life Member
NYSRPA Member
Westchester County Firearms Owners Association Member
Marine Corps League Life Member

#18 TheMongoose

TheMongoose

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,683 posts
  • LocationNear the DMZ

Posted September 18 2011 - 01:33 AM

One more thing, they also have the ban on pistols weighing more than 50 oz.
NRA Member
SAF Life Member
NYSRPA Member
Westchester County Firearms Owners Association Member
Marine Corps League Life Member

#19 wreckhog

wreckhog

Banned

• Banned
  • 8,963 posts
  • LocationMcDonalds

Posted September 18 2011 - 03:08 AM

Plenty of AR type guns are bought, and sold and possessed legally in CT every day. As far as what was legal, an 8 or 9 year old killed himself a couple of years ago firing a full auto Uzi. Perfectly legal.

#20 SteveG

SteveG

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 5,947 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted September 18 2011 - 07:03 AM

wreckhog said:

Plenty of AR type guns are bought, and sold and possessed legally in CT every day. As far as what was legal, an 8 or 9 year old killed himself a couple of years ago firing a full auto Uzi. Perfectly legal.

The 9 yr old that was killed I think was in Massachusettes, not Conn.
Steve

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users