Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Suffolk pistol permit application, how difficult?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 dclw

dclw

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted June 06 2009 - 09:33 PM

Hi,
I am newbie in this forum and I am glad I found this site.
I never own a gun or touch a real gun but always wanted to. One of the reasons that I did not apply for a gun license in all these years (many years) is my imagination of a very complicate license application process. From this site today, I now learned it seems quite easy but is not sure. I have a family of 5 and is living in Commack, Suffolk for the last 20 years.

I just have few questions and hope you guys can help.
1. Is it easy to fill out the applicaiton form?
2. Do you require to put down references from friends in the application? This is the reason I never apply for one as I do not want my friend/relative to know about gun license applicaiton. This could scare them off.
3. Is the application cost just $10? Sounds too much a bargain nowadays.
4. Do you need license to buy ammo? (I dont want to but curious).

Thanks ahead
dclw

#2 M1garand

M1garand

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others: ,
  • 1,114 posts

Posted June 06 2009 - 09:42 PM

Hello.  

Suffolk County Pistol licensed by 2 different agencies, based on which part of Suffolk county you live in.  Western part of 5 town residents have to go through Suffolk County Sheriff's department.  Others go through SCPD.

Application is relatively easy to fill out, but do require 4 references that you've known for 1 or more years and residing in Suffolk County.

Application does cost more than $10.  I believe it is about $85 (I could be wrong).

You don't need to have a license to buy ammo in New York.

I hope this helps.
www.pttactical.com
NRA Certified Instructor/Training Counselor/Chief Range Safety Officer
Glock/Bushmaster Factory Certified Armorer
CPR/AED/FIRST AID Instructor

#3 Johnc

Johnc

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: , ,
  • 3,908 posts

Posted June 06 2009 - 09:46 PM

Welcome DCLW!

The application is not difficult to fill out.  I tell people not to get overwhelmed with it.  Go slow, page by page.

You are required to put down references.   People need to sign for you.

Yes $10.00 is a bargain.  The cost is higher.

Technically,  you do not need a license to purchase ammo, however, be prepared to present a pistol license at certain stores when buying any ammo that is chambered in pistol calibers.

Here is a post I made some time ago with information that will assist you.  

Good luck and if we can help,  let us know.

John
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Be part of the solution, not part of the problem.  Join us at http://www.liffreedomfund.org/

#4 Johnson

Johnson

Respected Gunowner

• 299 posts

Posted June 06 2009 - 10:02 PM

Tell them everything, do not lie.  Be clear, type .pdf file if you can and print it out, neatness counts.  List your references in alphabetical order.  Follow all instructions, and try to read the 35 page manual if possible before filling out, it helps.

Note: Arrests include that stupid $25 ticket for an open beer you got at Jones beach when you were 18 (I wish they put this exact text on the form), or when you had to take a leak, pulled over on the highway and got caught.  You have to get dispositions for those and include with your form.  Not sure who handles this for LI, but 346 Broadway in Manhattan handles dispositions for 5 boros, if they are old, got to room 201 (like Hogwarts library)

$10 mailed in with the form.  4 character references must fill out "CR" forms and get them notarized.  

$94.25 when you go for your interview (money order to SCPD), PO goes over every question in DETAIL with you, DO NOT LIE, you re-sign answers to all questions, get photographed and fingerprinted, and they then do background check, I believe "rap" sheet via NYDOJ and FBI.

I think you can get all info on yourself (if you are curious) via the NYDOJ for $50 (must send in fingerprints).

from what I hear, 6 months from start to finish.

#5 The Big Ox

The Big Ox

Warm, Caring Nurturer

• LIF Site Moderator
  • 5,996 posts
  • LocationRonkonkoma

Posted June 06 2009 - 10:08 PM

First off, Welcome!

The application fee is $10.00. Once you submit the application, you'll be contacted in about a month to schedule an interview. At the interview, you'll have to submit a money order for $94.25 for your fingerprinting fee.

Your references must know you for at least one year, and they can not be related to you....not even in-laws. They also can't be members of any law enforcement agency. The application says they should be Suffolk County residents. Try to make sure that your references are also upstanding citizens. You can ask co-workers, neighbors, etc.

The advice we give to everyone is this: BE HONEST! The application is an integrity test. The staff at the pistol licensing bureau, (if they have your name, DOB, social security number and fingerprints), can find out the answer to every question on the application on their own....they want to see if you answer the questions truthfully. If you have ANY questions on how to fill out the application, check with us on here. DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, USE A PISTOL LICENSE SERVICE! You will get better and more accurate information on this site, for free, than you will from any so-called "service" that claims they can do the forms for you and get the license to you quicker. It is a waste of money that can be better spent on your new gun when you get your license.

Also, keep in mind that your investigator will contact your spouse/significant other just prior to issuing your license. They will want to know if your spouse/significant other is ok with you getting the license. Make sure your spouse is prepared for this call.

Best of luck to you, and if you have ANY questions, just ask!

#6 Johnson

Johnson

Respected Gunowner

• 299 posts

Posted June 06 2009 - 10:33 PM

Frank, they also contact your employer, PO that interviewed me asked me my wife's number and my boss's number.

#7 123

Sharp Shooter!

• 374 posts

Posted June 07 2009 - 08:03 AM

Ox,

That is about the best most concise description of the Suffolk process that I have seen. I am going to print it and give it out to my friends that are considering applying.

The Big Ox said:

First off, Welcome!

The application fee is $10.00. Once you submit the application, you'll be contacted in about a month to schedule an interview. At the interview, you'll have to submit a money order for $94.25 for your fingerprinting fee.

Your references must know you for at least one year, and they can not be related to you....not even in-laws. They also can't be members of any law enforcement agency. The application says they should be Suffolk County residents. Try to make sure that your references are also upstanding citizens. You can ask co-workers, neighbors, etc.

The advice we give to everyone is this: BE HONEST! The application is an integrity test. The staff at the pistol licensing bureau, (if they have your name, DOB, social security number and fingerprints), can find out the answer to every question on the application on their own....they want to see if you answer the questions truthfully. If you have ANY questions on how to fill out the application, check with us on here. DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, USE A PISTOL LICENSE SERVICE! You will get better and more accurate information on this site, for free, than you will from any so-called "service" that claims they can do the forms for you and get the license to you quicker. It is a waste of money that can be better spent on your new gun when you get your license.

Also, keep in mind that your investigator will contact your spouse/significant other just prior to issuing your license. They will want to know if your spouse/significant other is ok with you getting the license. Make sure your spouse is prepared for this call.

Best of luck to you, and if you have ANY questions, just ask!

#8 The Architect

The Architect

The Sysop

• Administrators
  • 35,143 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted June 07 2009 - 08:52 AM

My advise;

Be honest.

Check out our new raffles area, buy/sell/trade area, and official store today!

Remember that disputes on LIF are accessible to everyone on the Internet. The way in which you conduct yourself on LIF reflects on LIF and on you. Personal attacks will never help you make a point; they hurt the community and deter users from helping create a good community. We understand frustrations surrounding the 'NYSAFE' law which took effect 'behind closed doors'. Rest assured LIF will be addressing this in the very near future.

#9 dclw

dclw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted June 07 2009 - 09:02 AM

HI guys,

Thank you so much for the information. Now I understand the process.
The hardest part is references because your friends are going to ask you why do I need a permit? I have a clean record but still, it is uncomforting when you know your firends might call them about me. I will have to plan this well.

Thanks you guys for such quick reponses. Great forum!
dclw

#10 dclw

dclw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted June 07 2009 - 09:23 AM

In addition, can someone explain the permit rule on rifle/shotgun regulation in the town of Commack area?

dclw

#11 jack park

jack park

Gun Guru

• Forum Sponsor
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 2,926 posts
  • LocationMiller Place

Posted June 07 2009 - 09:28 AM

Your references can't be relatives so other than your wife who will probobly be called (my wife was) no one in your family may find out. And the refences can be people you work with and depending on how many that is you may find less of a problem than you thought

NRA Life Member
NYSRPA
Peconic River Sportsmans
And Secular Member Of The Tribe

#12 Johnson

Johnson

Respected Gunowner

• 299 posts

Posted June 07 2009 - 09:38 AM

dclw said:

In addition, can someone explain the permit rule on rifle/shotgun regulation in the town of Commack area?

dclw

There isn't one, except for some laws regarding assault weapons, in terms of shotguns and rifles, no registration/license is necessary (Except NYC).

#13 Johnson

Johnson

Respected Gunowner

• 299 posts

Posted June 07 2009 - 09:55 AM

dclw said:

HI guys,

The hardest part is references because your friends are going to ask you why do I need a permit? I have a clean record but still, it is uncomforting when you know your firends might call them about me. I will have to plan this well.

dclw

Tell you references your want a pistol to go target shooting, and can't see why they would have a problem with that.

#14 ligun

ligun

Gun Guru

• 2,307 posts

Posted June 07 2009 - 09:59 AM

Also make sure to keep your references happy for at least six months!

#15 The Big Ox

The Big Ox

Warm, Caring Nurturer

• LIF Site Moderator
  • 5,996 posts
  • LocationRonkonkoma

Posted June 07 2009 - 12:27 PM

dclw said:

HI guys,

dclw

I realize how hard it can be to discuss this subject with people...it was for me! Your best bet would be to explain to them that this is something you have wanted to do for many years, and its very important to you.

When I was asked why I wanted to get into firearms ownership, this is basically what I've said:

I have always had an interest in mechanical things. I really like things that are machined to high tolerances, and have the fit and finish that look like a lot of time, energy and craftsmanship went into their creation. Firearms fit this bill perfectly. They are precision instruments that I can examine, take apart, put back together, and study. Their operation, and the skill of using them, are fascinating to me. It is fun and its a challenge to get better at shooting. Its also fun to study their history, as well as their role in history.

It sounds like the folks you're apprehensive about asking to be a reference on your application might think that having a permit means you'll be carrying your gun with you at all times. Explain to them that you're applying for a sportsman permit...which is basically only useful for target shooting (as far as they'll ever know). Their use as a reference is not an endorsement of second amendment rights; its an endorsement of YOU as a good person. Let them know that.

Keep in mind that your investigator will ask you why you want a permit at your interview as well.

#16 METALMAN

METALMAN

Gun Guru

• Banned
  • 837 posts

Posted June 07 2009 - 05:11 PM

dclw,welcome you did the right thing by asking these guys,if you like send me a private message and i will mail you an aplication,every time i go to yapank i grab a hand full,good kuck and thanks for joining
         A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed!                                   

#17 nydevilfan

nydevilfan

Marksman

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 76 posts

Posted June 07 2009 - 07:32 PM

Do all your references have to fill out the seperate reference form and get them notorized or do you just list the references and have them sign it on the pistol permit application?  I see the section on the permit application but I also see a reference form on the SCPD website.  It seems a lot to ask people to fill out this seperate form and get them notorized.

#18 Johnson

Johnson

Respected Gunowner

• 299 posts

Posted June 07 2009 - 07:39 PM

nydevilfan said:

Do all your references have to fill out the seperate reference form and get them notorized or do you just list the references and have them sign it on the pistol permit application?  I see the section on the permit application but I also see a reference form on the SCPD website.  It seems a lot to ask people to fill out this seperate form and get them notorized.

You have to list them in alphabetical order on the main form, put info requested, and they must sign.

You also have to give them the "Character Reference" form (1 pager), which they are supposed to fill out, get notarized and mail in.

Character Reference Form:
http://www.co.suffol...e_Affidavit.pdf

It's not easy, and I think it's this part that discourages most people from applying.

#19 dclw

dclw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted June 07 2009 - 07:46 PM

Thank you guys. You guys are great in providing answers and suggestions.

Bringing up target shooting as an explanation is a good suggestion. I will have to work on this reference issue.
I have a good profession and a normal family. I know I will pass the interview. Just that I have to deal with this final obstacle.  

Thanks again.
dclw.

#20 Mr. Shotgun

Mr. Shotgun

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 1,375 posts

Posted June 07 2009 - 07:48 PM

M1garand said:

Hello.  

Suffolk County Pistol licensed by 2 different agencies, based on which part of Suffolk county you live in.  Western part of 5 town residents have to go through Suffolk County Sheriff's department.  Others go through SCPD.

Application is relatively easy to fill out, but do require 4 references that you've known for 1 or more years and residing in Suffolk County.

Application does cost more than $10.  I believe it is about $85 (I could be wrong).

You don't need to have a license to buy ammo in New York.

I hope this helps.

1) What if I just moved out to Suffolk county and don't know anyone there who can give me references?

2) You'll need to present your gun permit to buy ammo from NYC gun dealers. If you wanna buy pistol ammo, show a pistol permit; Buying rifle/shotgun ammo? Show your rifle/shotgun permit. Additionally, NYC gunshops will keep a log of all ammo sales. They record the caliber and your permit # on a log book so that its easily accessible for the NYPD's review. Lovely isn't it?

Charlie
NRA Member
"If a conservative doesn't like guns, he doesn't buy one. If a liberal doesn't like guns, he wants all guns outlawed. If a conservative is a vegetarian, he doesn't eat meat. If a liberal is a vegetarian, he wants all meat products banned for everyone."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users