Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

hunters safety course

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Ccorrado

Ccorrado

Respected Gunowner

• 140 posts

Posted October 20 2009 - 10:52 PM

hello all how are you doing?
im pretty new here. work as a machinist for rohrbaugh and im looking to get my hunting license this season but need to take a hunters safety course...i went on the DEC website but i work here making you all fine pieces of personal protection and there was only 2 courses listed ont he dec website that werent during the hours i work (mon-fri 6pm-2am graveyard shift) and they were already filled up.i know the time is getting near where i wont be able to do it this season it happened last season and i couldnt hunt last season. anybody know where i can take the hunter safety course during the day mon-fri or on a weekend thats not too far from west islip ny? i appreciate the help!
- chris corrado
this is my rifle, this is my gun, this is for fighting, this is for fun.

#2 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted October 20 2009 - 10:54 PM

Welcome, I will look into a friend of mine that used to do it out of mitchel field, They did it sat and sundays, That ok?

#3 Ccorrado

Ccorrado

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 140 posts

Posted October 20 2009 - 11:03 PM

wheres mitchell field? sat and sunday would be great...only 2 days i have off...thank you very much for the help and quick response!

#4 CJ

CJ

Tired of it all

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 5,015 posts
  • LocationGone

Posted October 20 2009 - 11:06 PM

I took my safety course two weeks ago. There were a few no shows and people who got in on those no shows. As a last resort, if you cant find any openings its worth a shot going to full class and hope for a no show and take their spot. Good luck.

#5 Ccorrado

Ccorrado

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 140 posts

Posted October 20 2009 - 11:09 PM

oh i didnt think of that...all the ones i read about said MUST PRE REGISTER so i didnt even think about dropouts... ill check the dec site again and see if i can find some more coming up when i get a break from making all these r-9 frames!

#6 CJ

CJ

Tired of it all

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 5,015 posts
  • LocationGone

Posted October 20 2009 - 11:19 PM

Ccorrado said:

oh i didnt think of that...all the ones i read about said MUST PRE REGISTER so i didnt even think about dropouts...

The place I went to had a great group of guys running the course. They were very understanding. Pre-registering was also required but they were able get it done.

#7 Ccorrado

Ccorrado

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 140 posts

Posted October 20 2009 - 11:21 PM

interesting...im gunna hafta make some phone calls tomorrow!

#8 Ccorrado

Ccorrado

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 140 posts

Posted October 21 2009 - 08:56 PM

thanks for everyones help who replied. i got in on a course coming up with greatly appreciated help from papabear! thanks bill!

#9 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• 7,173 posts

Posted October 22 2009 - 12:34 AM

CJ said:

I took my safety course two weeks ago. There were a few no shows and people who got in on those no shows. As a last resort, if you cant find any openings its worth a shot going to full class and hope for a no show and take their spot. Good luck.

Not a bad idea....   I just finished hunter safety tonight with Papabear... bowhunter  4 weeks ago....  I did both by just showing up, nicely asking if I could wait to see if there's any no-shows and I was good to go.

there were 68 grads tonight!!!   this course needs to be more often (and on weekends!)  but I think you may be out of luck for this year...  they added a nov. class up at campsite, but it's been taken off the DEC site since it's filled already (weeknights)

You could check CT or PA for a weekend class... But check with NYDEC first to make sure those would be acceptable.

Good Luck!

Pete

"It ain't the guns stupid - It's the CRIMINALS!"

"Never try to teach a pig how to sing...it just wastes your time - and annoys the pig." - Robert Anson Heinlein

Prayer for obama - Psalm 109:8 ~ "Let his days be few and brief; and let others step forward to replace him."

Mom, 20 Sept. 1944 - 22 Sept 2010 RIP

#10 M1garand

M1garand

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others: ,
  • 1,114 posts

Posted October 23 2009 - 03:17 PM

Contact Campsite or Colesium guns (nassau) as they seem to run Hunter Safety courses.
www.pttactical.com
NRA Certified Instructor/Training Counselor/Chief Range Safety Officer
Glock/Bushmaster Factory Certified Armorer
CPR/AED/FIRST AID Instructor

#11 Sam815

Sam815

Marksman

• 89 posts

Posted October 23 2009 - 04:01 PM

I took the Hunter Safety Course at American Outdoor Sports in Farmingdale off of Rt. 110 about two years ago. My son and I took it over course of two Saturday sessions. Well organized and the instructors made the time go by pretty fast. You can check if they are offering one soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users