Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

AR 15 Gas Block Removal and Installation

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 PaulyFu223

PaulyFu223

Husband, Father, Chef, Gun Guy

• 1,359 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted October 18 2010 - 09:36 PM

Hello Folks,
I am trying to see if anyone has ever done this to their rifle.  I want to remove my standard A2 front sight and replace it with a J&T flattop gas block.  I am farely competent with rifles and minor gunsmithing and have watched several videos of the procedure, but I would still like to know if anyone else has done it and to give me a realistic difficulty level on the job as a whole.  I am also replacing my original forend with a Surefire quadrail and just today added a FAB Defense magwell grip.  I already have a Tango down pistol grip on it and it is looking pretty sweet!  I will post pictures once the whole transformation is complete.

Thanks for any advice!
-Paul
"A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him."
-Winston Churchill

"Bushido is all very well in its way, but it is no match for a 30-06."
- Col. Jeff Cooper

#2 Edward_Blake

Edward_Blake

The Artist formally known as AR_Guy

• Club LIF Member
  • 6,013 posts

Posted October 18 2010 - 09:57 PM

Paul,
I've removed several. And removing them varies in difficulty. Are you set on using the aftermarket front gas block? Or chopping the original down and using an extended rail? Either way to remove the block start with a larger punch to get the pin to start moving, then move to the correct sized smaller punch to finish the job. I find that just getting the pin to start moving is the hardest part. Once they break free, they move easily. Also most pins are installed right to left. I say most because Stag used to install the pins the other way. Be sure to check before hammering. I use the Brownells block made to support the barrel, but I used a wood block in the past.

Does the new gas block use set screws? If so install it and tighten the screws. Then remove the block and file two small flats for the screw. Some people use a drill press to put a small dimple in the location of the screws. The flats will help keep the screws tight. I have no experience with the clamp on blocks.

Let me know if this helps.
"To prohibit a citizen from wearing or carrying a war arm . . . is an unwarranted restriction upon the constitutional right to keep and bear arms. If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of constitutional privilege." [Wilson v. State, 33 Ark. 557, at 560, 34 Am. Rep. 52, at 54 (1878)]

Handy little carbine. The M44 is a combination flash bang grenade, flame thrower, rifle, and spear all in one.

#3 SPM136

SPM136

Respected Gunowner

• 243 posts

Posted October 18 2010 - 10:12 PM

What brand is your upper?  If it's BCM the taper pins are extremely difficult to remove

It can be done though. Make sure you are working on an extremely hard surface (i.e. concrete floor of your garage).  A wooden work bench may flex too much. The front sight block from Brownells is helpful, and make sure to use a BFH (big f'ing hammer)

Good luck

#4 PaulyFu223

PaulyFu223

• Topic Starter
  • 1,359 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted October 18 2010 - 10:19 PM

Yeah I am going to get that front sight block from brownells., it couldnt hurt.  My upper is a Bushmaster XM15 heavy barrel, but it tapers to standard size for the gas block.  The block I am planning on getting has set screws.  Thanks guys.  Anybody else have their personal experiences, by all means.
"A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him."
-Winston Churchill

- Col. Jeff Cooper

#5 Edward_Blake

Edward_Blake

The Artist formally known as AR_Guy

• Club LIF Member
  • 6,013 posts

Posted October 18 2010 - 10:32 PM

Bushmaster? Oh man, I left out that those have been the toughest for me to remove. I also think they install the barrel nut to 10,000 foot pounds of torque. The block and a BFG will help.
"To prohibit a citizen from wearing or carrying a war arm . . . is an unwarranted restriction upon the constitutional right to keep and bear arms. If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of constitutional privilege." [Wilson v. State, 33 Ark. 557, at 560, 34 Am. Rep. 52, at 54 (1878)]

Handy little carbine. The M44 is a combination flash bang grenade, flame thrower, rifle, and spear all in one.

#6 IRWFO -RIP-

IRWFO -RIP-

Gun Guru

• 1,197 posts

Posted October 19 2010 - 05:26 AM

AR_Guy said:

Bushmaster? Oh man, I left out that those have been the toughest for me to remove.

I agree 100%. I've done many Bushy's and I usually have to use a press to get them out.
JERRY    P-MAN

#7 PaulyFu223

PaulyFu223

• Topic Starter
  • 1,359 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted November 18 2010 - 08:03 PM

Update time...

I finally got to working on my AR and with the help of my father, a hammer and a brass punch, I was able to remove the A2 gas block.  The muzzle break was on so snug, we had to heat it just to shimmy it off.  But all in all, I now have a quad rail gas block and a flip down front sight on my AR, next stop: Surefire quad rail already on order.
-Winston Churchill

- Col. Jeff Cooper

#8 DBV61998

DBV61998

Gun Guru

• 581 posts

Posted November 18 2010 - 08:44 PM

if the muzzle brake was removable then you could have an "assault weapon" problem. A threaded barrel is one of those evil features. you need to permanently attach the muzzle brake to make it legal. Unless of course you dont have a pistol grip and the threaded barrel is your only evil feature

#9 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• 7,634 posts

Posted November 18 2010 - 09:28 PM

DBV61998 said:

if the muzzle brake was removable then you could have an "assault weapon" problem. A threaded barrel is one of those evil features. you need to permanently attach the muzzle brake to make it legal. Unless of course you dont have a pistol grip and the threaded barrel is your only evil feature

This is assuming you have a post Sept '94 lower...

Pete

"It ain't the guns stupid - It's the CRIMINALS!"

"Never try to teach a pig how to sing...it just wastes your time - and annoys the pig." - Robert Anson Heinlein

Prayer for obama - Psalm 109:8 ~ "Let his days be few and brief; and let others step forward to replace him."

Mom, 20 Sept. 1944 - 22 Sept 2010 RIP

#10 PaulyFu223

PaulyFu223

• Topic Starter
  • 1,359 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted November 18 2010 - 09:47 PM

I do know however it is an XM15 heavy barrel and is not threaded, the muzzle break is a LEGAL Izzy style break and it is pinned on to the already crowned muzzle.  I bought this rifle legally 4 years ago and have never been questioned to its legality, this is the first time.
-Winston Churchill

- Col. Jeff Cooper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users