Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

NYC Rifle/Shotgun Permit process

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 alex

alex

Respected Gunowner

• 120 posts

Posted June 27 2011 - 03:23 PM

so now that I possess a NYC Handgun license, I am thinking of going for my rifle/shotgun permit. My question is besides filling the app and getting the same type of notarized forms/documents again (e.g. safe guard, Affidavit of Co-Habitant, proof of address, etc) ,  Is there an interview involved,  are they going to ask for character references letters? How long is the wait time before receiving notice of approval? Is there a wait time for purchasing long guns like there is with pistols (every 3 mths with purchase document)? Thanks!

#2 The Architect

The Architect

The Sysop

• Administrators
  • 34,496 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted June 27 2011 - 03:32 PM

Keep your reciept for the cost to obtain your license (just incase you can get a 'refund') / SAF lawsuit

okay, back on topic.

Check out our new raffles area, buy/sell/trade area, and official store today!

Remember that disputes on LIF are accessible to everyone on the Internet. The way in which you conduct yourself on LIF reflects on LIF and on you. Personal attacks will never help you make a point; they hurt the community and deter users from helping create a good community. We understand frustrations surrounding the 'NYSAFE' law which took effect 'behind closed doors'. Rest assured LIF will be addressing this in the very near future.

#3 alex

alex

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 120 posts

Posted June 27 2011 - 03:40 PM

hmm you think i should wait...?

#4 The Architect

The Architect

The Sysop

• Administrators
  • 34,496 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted June 27 2011 - 03:41 PM

alex said:

hmm you think i should wait...?

Why wait? Na..

Go for it, just keep all the records.

Check out our new raffles area, buy/sell/trade area, and official store today!

Remember that disputes on LIF are accessible to everyone on the Internet. The way in which you conduct yourself on LIF reflects on LIF and on you. Personal attacks will never help you make a point; they hurt the community and deter users from helping create a good community. We understand frustrations surrounding the 'NYSAFE' law which took effect 'behind closed doors'. Rest assured LIF will be addressing this in the very near future.

#5 jimmy870

jimmy870

Gun Guru

• 640 posts
  • LocationFreedom less State

Posted June 27 2011 - 10:47 PM

Just fill out all the paper work ( notarized forms/documents ) and pay and you will get it in 3 months tops and you can have it without having to buy a rifle or shot gun.

No interview...
Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains. - Winston Churchill

A liberal is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air. - Winston Churchill

SAF/NRA /NYSRPA

#6 bkjohn

bkjohn

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 1,021 posts

Posted June 27 2011 - 11:16 PM

jimmy870 said:

Just fill out all the paper work ( notarized forms/documents ) and pay and you will get it in 3 months tops and you can have it without having to buy a rifle or shot gun.

No interview...

:yepthat

View PostNikstorm, on May 20 2013 - 09:53 AM, said:

I'm all about dicks, I love em.

#7 alex

alex

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 120 posts

Posted June 28 2011 - 06:59 AM

That's it not even character refernce letters?

#8 jimmy870

jimmy870

Gun Guru

• 640 posts
  • LocationFreedom less State

Posted June 28 2011 - 07:49 AM

Yes ! no Character Ref ..
Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains. - Winston Churchill

A liberal is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air. - Winston Churchill

SAF/NRA /NYSRPA

#9 Nordon

Nordon

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 4,505 posts

Posted June 28 2011 - 08:05 AM

Wow, from what I remember getting mine in '91 when I lived in Brooklyn, pretty much went down there, filled out the paperwork, and walked out with it the same day.  Then again, this was before NICS and any of that stuff.  I just needed to go down there with a hunter education certificate and a hunting license (I was a Resident Alien at the time).

#10 Willus

Willus

Respected Gunowner

• 136 posts

Posted June 28 2011 - 08:07 AM

I think you only need the letters if you are not a citizen... it's in there somewhere...

#11 Lamont

Lamont

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others: ,
  • 1,244 posts

Posted June 28 2011 - 08:29 AM

jimmy870 said:

No interview...

Pretty much. And if you have a question about a rifle or shotgun...have aspirin on hand, believe me!
"...Shall NOT be infringed." GOD! What part do you NOT understand?!

#12 alex

alex

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 120 posts

Posted June 28 2011 - 08:42 AM

Thanks guys!

#13 CommackBoy

CommackBoy

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 5,876 posts
  • LocationCommack, NY

Posted June 28 2011 - 09:05 AM

I believe there is still a limitation of one rifle every three months. You will get several purchase documents but can't use them all at once.
NRA Life Member, NRA RSO
Traveling from West to East in Search of Light

#14 alex

alex

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 120 posts

Posted June 28 2011 - 10:38 AM

well...Ruger Mini-14 here I come! None folding stock of course...

sucks I can't own an AR type rifle! :(

#15 abbthe1

abbthe1

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted June 29 2011 - 03:13 PM

The wait is around 11 weeks. You can purchase one firearm every 90 days. That includes handgun and rifle, but I don't think rifle section talks to pistol section so theoretically you can still purchase a rifle even if you just purchased handgun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users