Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Walther PPK.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 T.Webb

T.Webb

Assault is a behavior; Not a weapon.

• 11,694 posts
  • LocationS.W. Suffolk; Stephentown, NY

Posted October 01 2009 - 06:26 AM

I know that this is a stupid reason to justify a gun purchase but ... a buddy gave me a Desantis left handed shoulder holster for a Walther PPK.

So, does anyone know anything about the current PPK? I know that some were recalled. I know that Walther licensed various manufacturers to make the guns. (Interarms, S&W, maybe more)

Which ones are better?

Which ones should I avoid?

And finally, is there any version with a left handed or ambidextrous safety?
My mind is like a steel trap ... Rusty and Illegal in 34 states.

We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control.

May God Bless the USA, and our troops!

#2 Pvt. Joker

Pvt. Joker

Respected Gunowner

• 152 posts

Posted October 01 2009 - 06:59 AM

I've never seen or heard of a left-handed safety for any PP/PPK series. As the slide is solid on the right side, that would be a VERY custom proposition.

If you plan to carry it in normal DA mode, it's not a big deal as the safety would be off anyway. The "safety" is mainly used as a decocker on PP/PPK guns.

Actually, I managed to break the safety on a PPK using it as a decocker (if the hammer drops on the safety enough times, eventually it will break), so if the truth were known, I don't use that safety for anything.

The PP/PPK guns are very historic and nostalgic and just hella cool but IMHO they are way overrated as "shooters." I have a pair of them and they don't get out much because I have other small guns that work at least as well (if not better) and are more pleasant to shoot.
"We will march on a road of bones." --Hunter S. Thompson

#3 Richard S

Richard S

Marksman

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 91 posts

Posted October 01 2009 - 07:28 PM

T. Webb:

I acquired my first PPK in Germany back in the 1960s. There is indisputably a certain style to the pistol, not to mention all the history behind it. (Hitler used one when he committed suicide in his Berlin bunker just as the Soviet Army was closing in on him.)

By today's standards, the PPK and PPK/S are a little large and heavy for a pistol chambered for the .380 ACP cartridge. However, a PPK would certainly be a fine addition to any collection. Smith & Wesson holds the current production license in the U. S., and their versions have a longer tang than the original German models in order to eliminate the famous "Walther bite." (I still have a faint scar on the web of my right hand as a souvenir from my original PPK.)

I don't usually cite Wikipedia as a source, but I've read its review of Walther's PP series of pistols and noticed no errors. You may find it to be of some interest.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Walther_PPK

Good luck.
Posted Image (1963-1967) "GO ARMY!" Posted Image  
               Nemo me impune lacessit.

#4 slowryder

slowryder

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 927 posts

Posted October 02 2009 - 10:19 PM

My PPKS has a left side safety and I perfer hammer block safety  to trigger safety of Glock or Steyr.  The new S&W is supposely betterb than the Interarms
2008 Victory Vision
76 - 79 197th infantry Brig.(MP)
80 - 82 Active reserve
.380       -5
9mm       -10 looking Stery S9
9x18       -5 
.40 S&W  -1
.45 ACP   -3 looking Gold Cup & RI Cdmr 2 
357MAG   -1
38 Super    looking Colt or Kimber 1
NRA member
SAF Defender Club

#5 cas

cas

115:5

• 4,021 posts

Posted October 02 2009 - 10:34 PM

Wasn't Interarms just the importer?  

The PPK / PPKs is definitely a gun you should try before you buy. They eat some people up.

#6 DavidE

DavidE

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted October 02 2009 - 10:36 PM

I bought a used Manhurin made (St. Etienne, France) Walther PPK/S in .380 ACP a couple of years ago.

I was actually looking for a Sig 232, but the price was too good an opportunity to pass up. It is stainless finish with light wear.

It shoots great, I wouldn't feel under armed with it. Yes it gets style points, but it is a practical little beastie, and sized just fine for me. I picked up a couple extra mags from Smith and Wesson's Walther USA web site, and it rides in a Bagmaster holster when I am at the range. Yeah, Bagmaster, I admit it, and it it works fine.

#7 Pvt. Joker

Pvt. Joker

Respected Gunowner

• 152 posts

Posted October 03 2009 - 05:49 AM

DavidE said:

Yeah, Bagmaster, I admit it, and it it works fine.
Don't apologize for Bagmaster stuff. I have a couple of their things. One is a "one size fits all" holster for 4"-5" autos that I've been using heavily as a range holster for three years now. Still looks new and still works great. It lives in my range bag.

"We will march on a road of bones." --Hunter S. Thompson

#8 ecr

ecr

Gun Guru

• Distinguished Member
  • Others: Club LIF Member, Committee Member, Junior Member

• 4,778 posts
  • LocationNorth Great River, New York

Posted October 03 2009 - 06:37 AM

T. . . . . one of my business partners has two PPKs. One is polished stainless and the other "stock" stainless. I know he wanted to sell either or both.  Perhaps you could get a deal on the two!?. . . unless you have your heart set on the blued versions.  Let me know. . . you can see them at my office in DP.
Eric C. Rohrbaugh - - - - - - -  Maker of things (2005 NRA Shooting Illustrated "Handgun of the Year") and an NRA Life Member - - - - - - -

#9 cycler

cycler

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 1,114 posts
  • LocationBellmore

Posted October 03 2009 - 06:40 AM

I have the Smith & Wesson PPKS and bought it because of the history behind it and well James Bond used it as well.  It shoots ok.  Meaning when I shoot it , it feels abrupt and not a soft shot like a Beretta, HK, FN, or IWI.  It gets out once in a while just so I can put some rounds through it.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users