Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Kahr K9 de-authorized by NYPD

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 TimmE

TimmE

Gun Guru

• 893 posts

Posted December 08 2011 - 10:46 PM

The NYPD made the Kahr K9 unauthorized for off-duty carry.  Do you think this means there will be good deals popping up on used models??

#2 deathsythe

deathsythe

SAF Life Member, NRA Member

• Club LIF Member
  • 4,389 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted December 08 2011 - 10:55 PM

Lets hope so.
-R.J.

Official NYS Motto said:

Some Animals are More Equal than Others.
Gun Control isn't about guns, it is about control.

#3 SordidSlayer

SordidSlayer

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,011 posts

Posted December 08 2011 - 10:59 PM

Sounds like there might be allot of trade in's.  That also really sucks for the guys who have had, carried their K9's around and now all of a sudden,.....um yea not any more. Looks like the PD is big enough and dosnt care about the cops at all, even financially who cant afford to purchase another off duty pistol.

#4 NESROK

NESROK

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,685 posts
  • LocationThe Blackest of Holes

Posted December 08 2011 - 11:05 PM

there was too many problems between khar and the nypd. also there was too many problems with the trigger jobs done on the pistol.as for guys not being able to afford buying new off-duty's? one CO told us thats what the uniform check ids for. A-HOLE!!
Behind a Gun...I'll Make My Final Stand.

#5 zxracer3

zxracer3

Sharp Shooter!

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 426 posts

Posted December 08 2011 - 11:22 PM

Didn't they deauthorize it years ago for being an unreliable pos.   If an agency dropped something that was once approved, I don't think I would want to own that model gun no matter what deal I was getting.  

#6 mongo

mongo

INFIDEL

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 4,080 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted December 08 2011 - 11:35 PM

Remember they made the S&W mod60 un-authorized due to the frame cracking (top strap)from the plus p ammo. If they purchased it from the equiptment section a refund was given.
An armed man is a citizen, An unarmed man is a subject.   George Washington  ......   Tom
If it was easy, Then anyone could do it.    NRA Life    NYSRPA

#7 T.Webb

T.Webb

Assault is a behavior; Not a weapon.

• 11,356 posts
  • LocationS.W. Suffolk; Stephentown, NY

Posted December 08 2011 - 11:36 PM

zxracer3 said:

Didn't they deauthorize it years ago for being an unreliable pos.   If an agency dropped something that was once approved, I don't think I would want to own that model gun no matter what deal I was getting.  

The K9 is an awesome gun. the NYPD wanted trigger alterations for weight and pull. When Kahr couldn't keep up with NYPD's ever changing demands, the NYPD de-authorized the gun. (But there's also some speculation that Bloomberg doesn't want any gun manufacturers in NY. Just look what he did to the Henry Rifle Co.)

Some shops on the Island have used NYPD trade-ins for under $225.00. And that's a super deal and a half.

My mind is like a steel trap ... Rusty and Illegal in 34 states.

We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control.

May God Bless the USA, and our troops!

#8 Dan 0351

Dan 0351

Gun Guru

• 4,258 posts

Posted December 08 2011 - 11:39 PM

I personaly love the Sig P226's and have been around them (and Sig armorer) for 18 years.  The NYPD had problems with theirs.....I heard they mess w/ them once they get 'em before they go out on the street and THAT'S why all the problems.  Can anyone confirm that?
NRA, Life Member
US Ignorance Fighters, part-time Member

#9 CommackBoy

CommackBoy

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 5,389 posts
  • LocationCommack, NY

Posted December 08 2011 - 11:47 PM

SIG is already double action. They mess with glocks and install a 12lbs NY2 trigger in them.
NRA Life Member, NRA RSO
Traveling from West to East in Search of Light

#10 Dan 0351

Dan 0351

Gun Guru

• 4,258 posts

Posted December 08 2011 - 11:52 PM

I know the Sigs are DAO, like NCPD used to have (now DAK's), but I heard they did something to the FACTORY DOA's....is that true?
NRA, Life Member

#11 mongo

mongo

INFIDEL

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 4,080 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted December 09 2011 - 12:33 AM

Hi Dan, I remember when they switched over to autos, the guys that took the Sigs, besides having a super long gritty  trigger pull, had to send their pistols back to be refinished. The finish that was on them was coming off the guns in large flakes, Looked like rust was on the steel causing this. I took the S&W 4659 which was DAO from the factory, With a little TLC and spring kit, the trigger was just like the mod.64's
An armed man is a citizen, An unarmed man is a subject.   George Washington  ......   Tom
If it was easy, Then anyone could do it.    NRA Life    NYSRPA

#12 Dan 0351

Dan 0351

Gun Guru

• 4,258 posts

Posted December 09 2011 - 12:43 AM

mongo said:

Hi Dan, I remember when they switched over to autos, the guys that took the Sigs, besides having a super long gritty  trigger pull, had to send their pistols back to be refinished. The finish that was on them was coming off the guns in large flakes, Looked like rust was on the steel causing this. I took the S&W 4659 which was DAO from the factory, With a little TLC and spring kit, the trigger was just like the mod.64's

Yo' T, when I left I still had a revolver (64), as did we all (except Sgt's Ops).  I remember the "K-Kote" problems with the Sigs, but I thought the range messed with the factory DAO triggers or something like that - could be wrong.  My partner, Billy (been a Capt. for 8-9 years now), eventually got the Sig and said they were being recalled for something internal - but that was many, many moons ago!
How's that .41 mag. of yours, did you get rid of it?  
NRA, Life Member

#13 NESROK

NESROK

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,685 posts

Posted December 09 2011 - 12:59 AM

hey Dan 0351...I have the Sig P226 for my duty gun and I have no problems with the finish,it's stainless by the way and yes the range does modify all the triggers on the pistols. You do get used to the pull after a while. Even the off-duty guns have trigger jobs done to them.

#14 radio head

radio head

Respected Gunowner

• 126 posts

Posted December 09 2011 - 01:07 AM

It's the NYPD "don't pull the trigger" trigger.  Absolutely amazing.
what in the wide, wide world of sports is-a goin' on here?!

#15 Dan 0351

Dan 0351

Gun Guru

• 4,258 posts

Posted December 09 2011 - 02:03 AM

NESROK said:

hey Dan 0351...I have the Sig P226 for my duty gun and I have no problems with the finish,it's stainless by the way and yes the range does modify all the triggers on the pistols. You do get used to the pull after a while. Even the off-duty guns have trigger jobs done to them.

Thanks Brother, I carried a DA/SA P226 and 228 9mm's for 15 years.  I'm a RO and Sig armorer so I've put a few rounds down 'em.  NO problems with mine at all.  Some older guns (25+ years old) had a few problems, mainly the trigger pivot pins and frame rails cracking....but Sig said they changed the metal in the frames many years ago, so....no more of those issues.  I now carry the P226 DA/SA in .40 and the DA/SA P229 in .40 for about 4 years - NO problems, except one 229's recoil guide (PLASTIC) started to chip.

I'm a big Sig fan.

NRA, Life Member

#16 NESROK

NESROK

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,685 posts

Posted December 09 2011 - 03:17 AM

I remember when i first got on the job i went with the glock 19 and even bought the G26. after a while i got tired of the wide grip of them,traded my glock for the sig and traded the off duty for the S&W 3953TSW and never looked back! sorry to you glock guys but i wasnt "feeling" them glocks! Sig all the way! LOL!!!

#17 BigDogg795

BigDogg795

Sharp Shooter!

• 377 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted December 09 2011 - 03:28 AM

T.Webb said:

The K9 is an awesome gun. the NYPD wanted trigger alterations for weight and pull. When Kahr couldn't keep up with NYPD's ever changing demands, the NYPD de-authorized the gun. (But there's also some speculation that Bloomberg doesn't want any gun manufacturers in NY. Just look what he did to the Henry Rifle Co.)

Some shops on the Island have used NYPD trade-ins for under $225.00. And that's a super deal and a half.

Which shop is this? I'd buy one in a second if I found one for that price!

#18 NESROK

NESROK

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,685 posts

Posted December 09 2011 - 03:46 AM

hey bigdogg there's a guy on sidegig.com selling a khar for 225.00. check it out.

#19 T.Webb

T.Webb

Assault is a behavior; Not a weapon.

• 11,356 posts
  • LocationS.W. Suffolk; Stephentown, NY

Posted December 09 2011 - 08:31 AM

BigDogg795 said:

Which shop is this? I'd buy one in a second if I found one for that price!

I paid $300.00 @ Hunters Essentials for mine. But at Yaphank, during the inspection, the clerk asked me if H-E matched T&T's $225.00 price. I never went back to T&T to confirm this. I've got the stainless version by the way.

All this, about a year and a half ago.

My mind is like a steel trap ... Rusty and Illegal in 34 states.

We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control.

May God Bless the USA, and our troops!

#20 Infidel13

Infidel13

Sharp Shooter!

• 319 posts

Posted December 09 2011 - 08:42 AM

T.Webb said:

...The K9 is an awesome gun. the NYPD wanted trigger alterations for weight and pull. When Kahr couldn't keep up with NYPD's ever changing demands, the NYPD de-authorized the gun. (But there's also some speculation that Bloomberg doesn't want any gun manufacturers in NY. Just look what he did to the Henry Rifle Co.) ...

I have to agree. Bloomberg and his friends are not to keen on any type of firearm industry. Even Numrich got a so-called friendly visit from some state officials inquiring about some of the parts they sell in NYS to customers and how they may be used. Hoepfully Cerberus capital will keep Remington here as an "in your face" reminder to our hoplophobic politicians.
Nicolas

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature.... Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -- Helen Adams Keller, 1957, The Open Door

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users