Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Removal of Front Sight on Bushmaster AR-15

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 rabbithunter21

rabbithunter21

Marksman

• 60 posts

Posted October 11 2011 - 09:48 AM

I purchased the Nikon M-223 1-4x20 scope and the M-223 mount and I know I have to remove the carry handle and I think the front sight.

If I definitely have to remove the front sight, does anyone have a video or a step-by-step they can suggest that would help me with that?

Thank you!!!
Rather be judged by 12 than be carried by 6

#2 vmtcmt

vmtcmt

Uh-oh...

• LIF Site Moderator
  • 8,041 posts
  • LocationRychia

Posted October 11 2011 - 10:11 AM

Are you sure you have to remove the front sight? You may have an issue. If it is a standard AR front sight, it contains the gas block, which is needed for it to operate. If you have a NY legal pinned and/or welded muzzle brake, it would have to be removed and the front sight would have to be replaced by a low profile gas block. It may be easier to replace the barrel.

Anyway, to remove the front sight, the muzzle brake has to be removed, then the taper pins have to be driven out, then the front sight can be removed from the muzzle end. There are many vids on you tube that show how to assemble an upper, including the front sight.

(Another freakin') Steve

#3 rabbithunter21

rabbithunter21

Marksman

• Topic Starter
  • 60 posts

Posted October 11 2011 - 10:36 AM

vmtcmt said:

Are you sure you have to remove the front sight? You may have an issue. If it is a standard AR front sight, it contains the gas block, which is needed for it to operate. If you have a NY legal pinned and/or welded muzzle brake, it would have to be removed and the front sight would have to be replaced by a low profile gas block. It may be easier to replace the barrel.

Anyway, to remove the front sight, the muzzle brake has to be removed, then the taper pins have to be driven out, then the front sight can be removed from the muzzle end. There are many vids on you tube that show how to assemble an upper, including the front sight.

Do you think there is a possibilty that I wont have to remove the front sight at all?

#4 vmtcmt

vmtcmt

Uh-oh...

• LIF Site Moderator
  • 8,041 posts
  • LocationRychia

Posted October 11 2011 - 10:58 AM

It is possible, but it depends on the type of mount you choose, and how comfortable you are with how high it is.

There are scope mounts that go on top of the carry handle, but it may be too high to get a usable cheek weld.

(Another freakin') Steve

#5 PGNHAWK

PGNHAWK

Respected Gunowner

• 211 posts

Posted October 11 2011 - 11:01 AM

You may view the front sight in your scope "window" - depending on where this falls in the scope window, you can leave it or remove it.
I removed mine and replaced it with a low-profile gas block, but it was fairly simple because I had a mid weight barrel with a crowned front end, no muzzle brake / flash hider to mess with.
If you have to remove the front sight, you can always just dremel off the top "triangle" portion; leaving the gas block in place... look around the internets, you'll see examples of this...

#6 Walker1847

Walker1847

Walker1847

• Club LIF Member
  • 7,468 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, NY

Posted October 11 2011 - 11:18 AM

rabbithunter21 said:

Do you think there is a possibilty that I wont have to remove the front sight at all?

This looks like you won't have to.

"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."
---Thomas Jefferson

"Gun Control is a job-safety program for criminals"
--- John Lott

“Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves”.
--- William Pitt, 1783

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"
--- R.J.Wiedemann.LtCol.USMC Ret
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air Force Veteran
Club LIF
NRA Member

#7 goosecatcher

goosecatcher

Sharp Shooter!

• Banned
  • 469 posts

Posted October 11 2011 - 11:28 AM

Try out the scope first.  Its possible the front sight is not in the scope "window" as PGNHAWK suggested.

I ran this for a little while and I never saw the front sight post.  The focal point of the front sight is so close that it wouldn't even show a shadow in the field of view.  
Posted Image
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future." --Adolf Hitler, 1935

#8 Dfisch

Dfisch

Gun Guru

• 1,483 posts

Posted October 11 2011 - 11:44 AM

http://www.ar15.com/..._4/226782_.html
Scroll about 2/3 of the way down.  I tried this once but I didn't remove the post from the barrel.  Good luck.
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
Certified Colt M16/AR15 Armorer

#9 DanG

DanG

Marksman

• 78 posts

Posted October 11 2011 - 12:35 PM

The odds are really good that you won't even notice the front sight base . Mount your scope, and try it before cutting/changing anything. I'll assume you have a removeable carry handle upper, which unscrews to reveal a rail , and you will mount your scope to that?
DanG

#10 rabbithunter21

rabbithunter21

Marksman

• Topic Starter
  • 60 posts

Posted October 11 2011 - 12:45 PM

DanG said:

The odds are really good that you won't even notice the front sight base . Mount your scope, and try it before cutting/changing anything. I'll assume you have a removeable carry handle upper, which unscrews to reveal a rail , and you will mount your scope to that?
DanG

Yea Dan, I have a removable carry handle upper. As I am new to this, all i have to do is unscrew the two knobs and remove it right? Then mount the mount and scope?

#11 DanG

DanG

Marksman

• 78 posts

Posted October 11 2011 - 01:25 PM

Exactly right  !

#12 rabbithunter21

rabbithunter21

Marksman

• Topic Starter
  • 60 posts

Posted October 11 2011 - 01:26 PM

DanG said:

Exactly right  !

Thanks!!

#13 Edward_Blake

Edward_Blake

The Artist formally known as AR_Guy

• Club LIF Member
  • 5,619 posts

Posted October 11 2011 - 01:29 PM

At 4x you won't notice the front sight post. Certain mounts will raise the scope enough that 1 x will work also. The carry handle just unscrews. Good luck.
"To prohibit a citizen from wearing or carrying a war arm . . . is an unwarranted restriction upon the constitutional right to keep and bear arms. If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of constitutional privilege." [Wilson v. State, 33 Ark. 557, at 560, 34 Am. Rep. 52, at 54 (1878)]

Handy little carbine. The M44 is a combination flash bang grenade, flame thrower, rifle, and spear all in one.

#14 Babaloo

Babaloo

Gun Guru

• 2,168 posts
  • LocationWading River

Posted October 11 2011 - 01:34 PM

I cut the front sight off mine and put on a 2 piece flip up. Was a little unnerving but I managed to not touch the barrel at all. Came out great.
Freedom is a complex thing, Millions of men have died fighting for it and even more have died because of it. While every death is tragic, some more so than others , every one is worth it! Because the alternative is infinitely worse!
http://www.youtube.c...ser/Babaloo1211

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users