Long Island Shooters Forum banner

Long Gun & Pistol Safe?

5K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  Nordon 
#1 ·
Looking to purchase a good long gun safe. Need to hold 10-15 long guns and 6-7 pistols. I wouuld appreciate any direction and/or recommendations.

Thanks

#3 ·
all depends on your budget.
wally world has the only low end units worth any thing ----sentry safes-----not way to much and they come fire rated also (some do)

on the get what you really pay for (and i can not remember the name) there is a safe facility on long island in Suffolk that sells them ----(little help with the name and location pleaase) this is where you would get the higher end quality units

#4 ·
Doesn't Liberty Safe have a showroom in Wyandanch?

#5 ·
i recall a couple weeks ago there were several members who were intrested in a possible group buy and someone said PATE and another member had something to do with safes and asked to chime in but nothing ever came of it. does anyone have any connections/juice/knowlege to get a deal for groupe safe buy?

#11 ·
Gander Mountain has a ton the last time I went up there. Now remember this is not just a place to keep your guns but to keep all your valuables. Bigger is better but you need to make sure you can get it where it needs to go. {Down stairs up stairs in the house}. A buddy of mine got one and now it's in the garage he'll need to take a wall out to get it in the house. ??)

#15 ·
I have Sentry Quick Access Safe. I worried about having a gun in the house with a toddler, but this is an amazing safe. Fingerprint has never let me down. Be advised it does go through batteries pretty fast, but I usually get a month before the red light starts blinking on eneloop rechargeables.This is a very good safe. Simple to setup. Have had for a few months so far and the batteries haven't needed to be changed yet. Quality construction.If you want larger ,Fort Knox and Hornady Security Rapid Gun Safe can be good choice.

#18 ·
Be careful with the eneloops. I love eneloops, however, the directions specifically state not to use any rechargeable batteries. This includes nickel metal hydrides. This has been confirmed over and over with sentry and is even mentioned on their website. Apparently, it may damage your unlocking mechanism. You might want to stick with the alklines.

#20 ·
Liberty Safe on Route 110, new location. They carry Liberty, Century/Superior and a few others. Bought my Liberty Franklin back in 2007 from them. Great service and inside delivery. I also have a Superior in another house, it's 10ga all Steel vs the Liberty's 11ga and composite door. You can't go wrong with either. The Superior also comes standard with lighting and door pockets.

#22 ·
After Sentry Safe Quick , I heard great news about The Gunbox Bıometric hand gun safe . some of my friends use it and they suggested . I did some researches and got great reviews about it . So I bought it . I love it and want to share . I've had my GunBox now for about a month and my expectations have been exceeded. The Box itself is very heavy duty and doesn't have a "cheap" feeling to it. It's a descent weight and doesn't look bad on my nightstand. The USB ports in the back are more than convenient for charging our phones each night. The overall construction is very nice.

As for operation, I purchased this unit strictly for the biometric finger print reader. I feel the RFID band is too similar to hiding a key, but I guess I see it's purpose for quick access. Setting up fingerprints is a breeze; my wife and I spent maybe several minutes programming a few of our fingers. We have used the Box, opening/closing over a dozen times to test and have yet to see it not open. The unit also has different alarms, silent and/or audible. I myself prefer the silent alarm where if the Box is moved or tampered with a flashing red light will appear. The only way to stop the light from flashing is by entering a valid fingerprint followed by a second to open the box.

I cannot speak enough good things about this device. Yes, it's a little on the pricey side however once you get one you'll soon want a second for another floor in your house or another room. The few times I have emailed the company directly my responses were received and answer within 48hrs.

Highly recommend this product for parents looking to keep their firearms readily available and still keeping safety in mind.

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have this safe, the only upgrade I made though was to change the override lock cylinder with a Medeco Duracam, as it seemed a bit cheap, that cost another $40 and a bit of tweaking, I would have liked to get a Mult-T-Lock cam, but they are very expensive. A locksmith I went to said it could not be done, but I proved him wrong.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.