Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

DEC Suffolk County Deer Season Info

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 The Architect

The Architect

The Sysop

• Administrators
  • 36,800 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted August 17 2009 - 04:00 PM

Taken from http://www.dec.ny.go...door/40409.html

Special Firearms Deer Season in Parts of Suffolk County
This page contains general information on hunting during Long Island's special shotgun and muzzleloading firearms season in January. Specific information on hunting on DEC-managed lands during this season is available at Firearms Deer Hunting on NYSDEC-Managed Lands in Suffolk County. A brochure of the information on this page, including an Application for Town Permit and Landowner's Endorsement Form, is available at the Region 1 office in Stony Brook or may be downloaded: Special Deer Season in Parts of Suffolk County (551k pdf).

Season Dates:The January firearms deer season begins on the first Monday following the first Saturday in January and ends on the last weekday of January. No firearms deer hunting is allowed on weekends.

Hunting Hours: Sunrise to sunset

Manner of Taking: Shotgun, using a single ball or slug, or a muzzleloading rifle, shooting a single projectile, having a minimum bore of 0.44 inches. Shotgun barrels may be rifled, and telescopic sights may be used. No muzzleloading pistols are permitted.

Valid License & Tags: Hunters must have a valid New York State big game hunting license and big game tag to participate in the hunt. Valid tags include the Regular Season Deer tag, Deer Management Permits (DMP) for Unit 1C, Archery tags, Muzzleloader tags and Bonus DMP's for Unit 1C.

Landowner's Endorsement
The Landowner's Endorsement form (49k pdf) must be signed by a person owning or leasing ten or more acres of land in an area open to hunting during this special season. A detailed written description of the boundaries of the open areas is available on this website or can be reviewed at the department's office.

The Landowner's Endorsement constitutes the landowner's or lessee's written consent for you to hunt on his or her lands in accordance with the conditions of the special season. A landowner or lessee may authorize not more than one hunter for each ten acres nor more than five hunters per 100 acres of land under his or her control. In instances where a landowner has suffered severe deer damage, DEC may authorize the landowner to permit a higher number of hunters over the course of the season. If a landowner or lessee owning or controlling ten or more acres wishes to hunt on his or her own property, he or she must endorse his or her own application and include himself or herself in the hunter quota for that land.

Town Permit
In order to get at Town permit complete the Application for a Town Permit (51k pdf) and present it along with a completed Landowner's Endorsement form and your Big Game License, complete with carcass tags. Permits will be issued starting in early December by the town clerks listed below during their normal business hours. Permits will be issued by town clerks for their respective towns only, and only until their quota is exhausted. Should the quota be exhausted in the town you originally desired to hunt, you must repeat the process of obtaining landowner's consent to hunt in another township. Permits will be issued in the order applicants appear. There may be a $1 fee for the permits. The permit authorizes you to hunt ONLY within the town specified and ONLY on land for which you have obtained a signed Landowner's Endorsement. The permits are NON TRANSFERRABLE.

Town Address Quota Brookhaven 1 Independence Hill
Farmingville 2,500 East Hampton 159 Pantigo Road
East Hampton 1,500 Riverhead 200 Howell Avenue
Riverhead 750 Shelter Island 44 North Ferry Road
Shelter Island 400 Southampton 116 Hampton Road
Southampton 1,500 Southold Main Road, Southold 300

Any person who has violated any provision of the Environmental Conservation Law or the regulation governing this special season while hunting with the special permit, shall, upon apprehension, surrender his or her permit; upon conviction or settlement, the permit may be canceled. Any application for a permit or permit obtained by fraud, or by a person not entitled to a permit, shall be void. No permit will be replaced if it is lost, stolen or destroyed.

While hunting, an individual must carry on his or her person his or her Big Game License and tags, his or her Landowner's Endorsement and his or her Town Permit. All successful hunters must follow the deer tagging and check station procedures.

Bonus Deer Management Permits
Bonus DMPs are available to hunters who take antlerless deer on any Unit 1C DMPs (original or Bonus DMPs) during the special January Firearms season and are valid for one deer of either sex. Bonus DMPs that are used to take an antlerless deer may be replaced with another Bonus DMP. To receive a bonus DMP, hunters must bring the head or whole carcass of an antlerless deer taken on a WMU 1C DMP with a completed carcass tag to a NYSDEC check station (locations and schedule below). Heads which are frozen must be sufficiently thawed prior to arriving at a check station to allow the jaws to be opened.

Deer Check Stations
Deer Check stations are open to check deer and to issue Bonus DMPs. All deer harvested on state managed lands must be presented at a check station. Hunters harvesting deer from private lands are urged to check their deer. The taker shall personally transport the deer to a check station, except that they may designate another to transport the deer, providing the taker's carcass tag and a tag supplied by him/her, on which is written legibly in ink the name and address of the person to transport the deer, the date and the signature of the taker and transporter, are attached to the carcass. DEC check stations will be located as follows:

Station Location Hours
Ridge Conservation Center 484 Randall Rd., north of Rt. 25, mile west of William Floyd Pkwy, Ridge (631) 924-3156 weekdays: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Hither Hills State Park Old Montauk Hwy., ½ mi. east of Montauk Hwy., East Hampton weekdays: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Shelter Island Landfill/Town Hall (for Bonus DMP's only)  Call the wildlife office at 631-444-0310 for dates and hours
NYSDEC Region 1 Office, Stony Brook (for Bonus DMP's only) SUNY at Stony Brook

50 Circle Road
Stony Brook, New York 11790
To make an appointment call 631-444-0310

DEC-Managed Public Deer Hunting
Public hunting is available on certain private, state and federal lands through cooperative agreements between the landholders and DEC. Further details may be obtained from Firearms Deer Hunting on NYSDEC-Managed Lands in Suffolk County.

# Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Topic Starter

Posted A minute ago

#2 The Architect

The Architect

The Sysop

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 36,800 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted August 17 2009 - 04:03 PM

Download the pdf's for maps of these areas.  I have one as a jpg.

#3 The Architect

The Architect

The Sysop

• Administrators
  • 36,800 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted August 17 2009 - 04:05 PM

Managed Land Info:

Procedures
Step 1: Enter drawing for NYSDEC-managed lands.

To hunt for deer on NYSDEC-managed lands you must enter a drawing. This drawing is always held on the first Tuesday of December. All entries must be received by 4:45 p.m. on the day before the drawing.

There are no applications for this drawing. To enter send a No. 10 legal-size envelope (4" x 9 ½") to:

NYSDEC - Deer Drawing
Box 659
Ridge, NY 11961-0659
This envelope must contain a self-addressed, stamped, legal-size return envelope (4" x 9 ½"). You must write your back tag number on the back of the return envelope. Applicants not sending correct envelope sizes will be rejected.

You may only send one entry. Any individual who sends more than one entry will have all of his or hers entries removed from the drawing. Each member of a two-hunter party may send one entry.

Step 2: Receive drawing number.
Within two weeks of the drawing date you will receive a drawing number in the mail. This drawing number will indicate the day in which your are to make a reservation to hunt. You must make your reservation at the Ridge hunter Check Station during the last full week (Monday-Friday) before December 25.

The sheet listing your drawing number is the only record of your selection and will be needed to select a reservation.

Step 3: Make hunting reservation.
When making a reservation you must have each of the following items with you:

Drawing Number & Instructions sheet with completed Application for Town Permit
Big Game License
Valid Big Game Carcass Tag
Reservations must be made in person at the Ridge Hunter Check Station at the time indicated by your drawing number or anytime thereafter. You may send another person to represent you but your representative must know your preferred area and date.

You may make only one reservation. A hunter who makes a reservation with a partner holding a number must forfeit his or her own number. Two hunters may not sign up as each other's hunting partners to hunt on different days. Upon making a reservation, you will be issued a Landowner's Endorsement and a Town Permit for the property and town that you have made a reservation for.

The Ridge Hunter Check Station is located north of Route 25 on Randall Road (1/3 mile west of the William Floyd Parkway, L.I.E. Exit 68 North) in the Hamlet of Ridge, Suffolk County.

Step 4: Appear to hunt on reservation day.
On the morning which you are to hunt, you must first report to the appropriate hunter check station to receive an access permit for the property.

Check stations will open ½ hour before sunrise, except that the Ridge Check Station will open 45 minutes before sunrise for those hunting Sarnoff and Westhampton. You should arrive one hour before sunrise.

To hunt you must have each of the following items with you:

Landowner's Endorsement (41K pdf) form issued by the Department,
Town Permit obtained from the town clerk or from NYSDEC,
Big Game License
Valid Big Game Carcass Tag
You must arrive at the check station by 8:00 a.m. to claim your reservation unless you notify us (631-924-3156) that you will be arriving late. At 8 AM, unclaimed reservations will become available to others who have the proper paperwork. After hunting, you must return to the check station no later than 30 minutes after sunset.

Ridge Hunter Check Station
484 Randall Road
Ridge, NY 11961
(631) 924-3156

The check station is open from November 1 through December 31 and for each day of the January deer season.

See attachement for Landowner's Endorsement

#4 Billy Longbow

Billy Longbow

Gun Guru

• 581 posts

Posted January 27 2014 - 04:09 PM

Last week. Anyone get lucky yet?

I blew a brutal 2 hour stalk and missed a doe at 70 yards last week after the snow storm. Shot right over her but she surprised me (and me her) when we came up upon each other. Going out again tomorrow.

#5 MetalHead

MetalHead

Giraffe Hunter

• Club LIF Member
  • 3,768 posts
  • Locationfarmingdale

Posted January 27 2014 - 04:17 PM

The ridiculous procedure they have in place for shotgun season hunting has deterred me yet another year. Its hard enough to take a day off to hunt but another day to make a reservation is just deterring. Its no wonder we have a deer problem. Good luck tomorrow. Maybe when/if I retire I can spend a few years hunting again before I die.

#6 knightofsuffolk

knightofsuffolk

Winter is coming

• 3,569 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted January 27 2014 - 04:47 PM

After two brutal hunts at Wertheim, (both in the middle of stupidly cold weather and snow), I finally nailed one on Friday. Small yearling buck, his nads hadn't even dropped yet, but OMG those tenderloins were simply delicious. And it was Nancy's first time cooking 'em, she nailed it.
It was also her first time helping out with the butchering. She's getting pretty good with a gun, now, having seen her work with a knife on a carcass I have to say guys I'm getting a little scared.
What have I created?

Attached Thumbnails

• 315.jpg

• jack park and lynyrd like this

#7 knightofsuffolk

knightofsuffolk

Winter is coming

• 3,569 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted January 27 2014 - 04:53 PM

A shot of my very, very cold lunch. The water for the MRE heater froze. It frigging FROZE!

Attached Thumbnails

• 301.jpg

#8 loadingdockman

loadingdockman

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 4,938 posts
  • LocationYou will never know........

Posted January 27 2014 - 04:54 PM

After two brutal hunts at Wertheim, (both in the middle of stupidly cold weather and snow), I finally nailed one on Friday. Small yearling buck, his nads hadn't even dropped yet, but OMG those tenderloins were simply delicious. And it was Nancy's first time cooking 'em, she nailed it.
It was also her first time helping out with the butchering. She's getting pretty good with a gun, now, having seen her work with a knife on a carcass I have to say guys I'm getting a little scared.
What have I created?

What you have created is everyman's dream woman.....

#9 knightofsuffolk

knightofsuffolk

Winter is coming

• 3,569 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted January 27 2014 - 04:58 PM

Yeah, I believe so. Beautiful, (I had nothing to do with that) and deadly (I'll take credit).
And no, I'm not sharing the REALLY good stuff...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users