Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Free Venison

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#21 PaPaBear

PaPaBear

NYS Safety Instructor

• Board Moderator
  • 3,872 posts
  • LocationIslip

Posted November 21 2010 - 08:43 AM

if you are getting them for the town then the town has some one shooting them for them so yes they can use a shot gun and they can hunt 24-7 till the number that the town put on them is filled
papabear

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 perimedik

perimedik

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 3,551 posts
  • LocationThe Gunshine State Now

Posted November 21 2010 - 04:41 PM

Venison Stew Today
2 lbs of venison
2 lbs of pototaes
5 cups of flash frozen fresh mixed veggies
2 cups of (low sodium) beef stock
Seasoning (to taste, I have my own blend of garlic, onion, paprika, fresh ground pepper, kosher salt etc)

sear Venison in bottom of Dutch Oven with 2 tsp of butter and olive oil
add veggies and pototoes
mix in stock and let it simmer for 4 to 6 hours

Posted Image

#23 JesChefHunter

JesChefHunter

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 138 posts

Posted November 28 2010 - 11:48 PM

Nice recipe and thanks for the info I'll be calling them in the morning.

#24 NorthForkSportsman

NorthForkSportsman

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • Others: MOD - Buy/Sell
  • 9,630 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between here and Hawaii

Posted November 28 2010 - 11:56 PM

Let us know what you hear from them.

#25 the blur

the blur

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 2,788 posts

Posted November 29 2010 - 08:18 PM

I've been eating venison steaks.   taste like lamb.  very good.

Havn't gotten to the back straps yet, or the filets,  but soon.

We took some stew meat, and attempted to make a deer stew,  but the meat was very tough to eat.

#26 ligun

ligun

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 2,307 posts

Posted November 29 2010 - 08:44 PM

I've been eating venison steaks.   taste like lamb.  very good.

Havn't gotten to the back straps yet, or the filets,  but soon.

We took some stew meat, and attempted to make a deer stew,  but the meat was very tough to eat.

How long did you stew it for.  I think it has to be stewed for 4 to 6 hours (See post above).

#27 JesChefHunter

JesChefHunter

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 138 posts

Posted December 03 2010 - 11:24 AM

So i called and they called me back and told me they have a deer for me. Thanks again for that number. I'll post again after i pick up the deer.

#28 madmax

madmax

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 2,246 posts

Posted December 03 2010 - 11:43 AM

I may need to do this, while I have tags, I have no time currently. :(

#29 TJA

TJA

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 79 posts

Posted December 13 2010 - 07:37 PM

Thanks for this info!  I picked one up today that had been shot this morning.  Just finished skinning it and I'm now reading up on butchering while the carcass hangs in the garage.  I'm going to have a nicely stocked freezer tonight.

#30 the blur

the blur

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 2,788 posts

Posted December 13 2010 - 08:27 PM

Let it age hanging for a week in your garage.  as long as it's cold enough.

#31 madmax

madmax

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 2,246 posts

Posted December 16 2010 - 04:29 PM

Just called. I know its late, but.. might as well, right? heh.

#32 ligun

ligun

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 2,307 posts

Posted December 16 2010 - 09:28 PM

Just called. I know its late, but.. might as well, right? heh.

These deer are taken on "nuisance" permits and these permits are issued throughout the year.  Currently the excess number of deer on the East end far exceed what hunters take. Also, if you have a nuisance permit, you can shoot a deer with a rifle on Long Island.

#33 madmax

madmax

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 2,246 posts

Posted December 17 2010 - 06:08 AM

I have DMP tags and the regular season/archery/muzzle tags, couldnt really get much time out in the woods this year.

#34 finfeathr

finfeathr

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 173 posts

Posted December 17 2010 - 07:48 AM

These deer are taken on "nuisance" permits and these permits are issued throughout the year.  Currently the excess number of deer on the East end far exceed what hunters take. Also, if you have a nuisance permit, you can shoot a deer with a rifle on Long Island.

no you cant..needs to be a shotgun.

#35 PeepSight

PeepSight

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 15,413 posts

Posted December 17 2010 - 08:03 AM

I was able to yeild a pretty signifcant amount of meat last night
Took a while to butcher myself however I am happy because I did my best to have minimal scrap.

Everything is plastic wraped and butcher papered.
I did place some stuff in ziplocs because i'll be using it first.
The backstraps I kept in the fridge because I pland on cooking them today.

some pics in a bit

one
Posted Image

hyde removed (I didn't know you could use a shotgun out of season for a nuisance permit? I guess since it is provate property when they took them)
Posted Image

most of it broken down. had to get in the nooks for mince and grinder meat. That'll make some good sausages in the next few days
Posted Image

Some of the stuff packaged up. I put some stuff in just saran wrap, some in ziplocs.
Posted Image

broke down the rumps and shoulders too. There is a look of good steak medalions and roasts out of that

I'm impressed with your work!
And you did all this with a Swiss Army Knife? ??)

#36 the blur

the blur

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 2,788 posts

Posted October 01 2011 - 10:28 PM

are they doing this again this year ?

#37 OH UNCLE PAUL

OH UNCLE PAUL

Banned

• Banned
  • 17,343 posts

Posted October 01 2011 - 11:01 PM

Color me surprised and paint me as paranoid.

1. I am surprised that some people on this forum are that happy to put food on the table or are that broke. Are times really that hard?? I thought we just had a "Best Steakhouse" thread.

2. I would never take food off of a stranger or from an unknown source. Yes I would take meat from someone I know and trust, but to take meat from an unknown source and eat it, much less feed to family?? Someone could have done something evil to it.  For me no thank you. I don't even let someone that I dont know bring me back something from a deli that is not factory sealed, and that goes double for some of the people that I work with.

#38 PaPaBear

PaPaBear

NYS Safety Instructor

• Board Moderator
  • 3,872 posts
  • LocationIslip

Posted October 25 2011 - 05:00 PM

Color me surprised and paint me as paranoid.

1. I am surprised that some people on this forum are that happy to put food on the table or are that broke. Are times really that hard?? I thought we just had a "Best Steakhouse" thread.

2. I would never take food off of a stranger or from an unknown source. Yes I would take meat from someone I know and trust, but to take meat from an unknown source and eat it, much less feed to family?? Someone could have done something evil to it.  For me no thank you. I don't even let someone that I dont know bring me back something from a deli that is not factory sealed, and that goes double for some of the people that I work with.

I just took venison from a friend of mine some one drop off a deer to get mounted and did not want the meat so he called and I went and picked it up this is the three deer I have gotten from him in as many years  
if some one is going to do it then can do it to any thing from meat to veggies sealed or not   you have to trust to get trust back I found if you don't trust others it is because you can't trust your self
papabear
  • snowblind and jpcool like this

#39 Captain Will

Captain Will

Banned

• Banned
  • 19,574 posts

Posted October 25 2011 - 06:36 PM

Somebody could do something "evil" every time you go to a restaurant, or what about a drive through? I reckon a guy who is donating his shot deer is no more likely to be "evil" than the disgruntled deli worker or McD's employee.

The one thing I WOULD watch out for was meat that had started to spoil or was not dressed properly, you have a pretty sensitive chemical detector right in front of your face to help make those types of determinations.

#40 the blur

the blur

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 2,788 posts

Posted October 25 2011 - 06:43 PM

Rich is giving away Venison ???
I WANT SOME !!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users