Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Legal for business to refuse $100 bills?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Tonto

Tonto

Play Poker? No, I don't bluff.

• Club LIF Member
  • 8,939 posts
  • LocationMember: O.W.C.A.

Posted May 22 2010 - 11:35 AM

I'm just wondering if anyone knows the answer to this:

With all the counterfeit $100 bills going around...I've seen signs where stores will not take $100 bills.  Now I just went thru a Mc Donald's drive thru to pick a coffee drink for my wife & noticed they now have signs up that they will not take any bill larger than a $20.

Is this actually legal?  refusing to take US currency?  

Anyone know the answer?  Do I need to tell the bank when I cash my paycheck that I want only $20?

(It's not like I want to spend $1.99 & use a $50 or $100)
"Practicing forgiveness does not mean accepting wrong doing" ~ The 14th Dalai Lama
Member: O.W.C.A.   Perry The Platypus Fan Club   Sponsored by: Doofenshmirtz Evil Inc.
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. ~ Stephen Hawking

#2 liseverewx

liseverewx

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,504 posts

Posted May 22 2010 - 11:46 AM

I've seen this as well on the McDonalds drive through line.  I too wondered about the legalities of this.  I thought all stores must accept any and all US currency.  
"Conservatives used to take it, and we're not taking it anymore." - Andrew Breitbart

#3 VolkoSupply

VolkoSupply

Gun Guru

• Forum Sponsor
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 1,512 posts

Posted May 22 2010 - 11:56 AM

At a place like a McDonalds or someplace with a drop safe it may be that the counter people never have more than $50 in the drawer at a time, so they can't make change of a large bill.

We got stuck with a bad $100 the other day.  Annoying, especially when you go to deposit it at the bank.  The bank confiscates the bill, and it's sent to the secret service for validation.  In theory you find out if it was good or bad in two weeks.

I realize why they do it, so let's see what the treasury department comes up with as an answer.
http://www.volko.com
516-741-4466
Family Owned and Operated Supplier of Quality Building Materials since 1948!
Local and Friendly FFL Transfers

#4 The Architect

The Architect

The Sysop

• Administrators
  • 34,379 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted May 22 2010 - 12:00 PM

If someone refuses my $100, Ill be sure to return with 1,000 pennies!  :P

Check out our new raffles area, buy/sell/trade area, and official store today!

Remember that disputes on LIF are accessible to everyone on the Internet. The way in which you conduct yourself on LIF reflects on LIF and on you. Personal attacks will never help you make a point; they hurt the community and deter users from helping create a good community. We understand frustrations surrounding the 'NYSAFE' law which took effect 'behind closed doors'. Rest assured LIF will be addressing this in the very near future.

#5 AkunaMatata

AkunaMatata

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 5,575 posts
  • LocationRiverhead

Posted May 22 2010 - 12:01 PM

I'm pretty sure you can accept or refuse whatever you want as a business owner.
"The sword is the soul. Study the soul to know the sword. An evil soul is an evil sword."

-Shimada Toranosuke, 'The Sword of Doom'

GO TEAM KALASHNIKOV!!!

[face=Times]Team SKS. Just like Team AK, but with more class. [/face]

#6 Doc T

Doc T

Gun Guru

• Others: , , ,
  • 2,497 posts

Posted May 22 2010 - 12:09 PM

I am not saying this is the law, but one night at a gas station I tried to pay with a $100 and the guy there refused it, I told him I had no other money and he runs inside screaming that he is calling the Cops.

Well, the Police came , the guy working there called the store owner, and the Police MADE him take the money.

Policy and Law are never the same. Half the leases in Suffolk contain illegalities, and signing them does not make it "legal". Ladies Night is illegal in New York State. We all know that law is hardly enforced. It is also illegal to be visibly drunk in a bar or for a bartender to serve you if he knows you are intoxicated. So basically, the law says that after about two hours at your sisters wedding, your are in violation and so is the bartender.

Like Stevie said, you can buy a car with a truckload of nickles, legally speaking. Its one of those laws that have LEO;s looking through manuals.
~Christopher

LongIslandFirearms is the Hotel California of the New Age. You can log out anytime you like, but you can never leave.

http://www.liffreedomfund.org

#7 gmirsky

gmirsky

Gun Guru

• 1,738 posts

Posted May 22 2010 - 12:11 PM

Going back to my 8 AM business law 101 & 102 class days with Eugene Maccarone at Hofstra circa 1981 that I got A's in both classes but I digress, a business can refuse payment before services or goods are rendered but cannot refuse a $100 as payment of a debt.

The clause "Good for all debts public and private" printed on the note make the note (it's not real constitutional money!) valid for the payments of all incurred debts. By refusing the $100 bill before the debt is incurred is legal. Refusing the $100 bill after a debt is incurred discharges the debtor of any obligation to pay the debt. So those of you who want to pay your taxes in pennies or nickels cannot do so but if you show up with $1 bills they must accept them otherwise they have discharged your debt.
Greg

"No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session."  -- New York State Surrogate Court Judge Gideon John Tucker, Final Accounting in the Estate of A.B._, 1, Tucker (N.Y. Surrogate Court) 247, 249 (1866)

"It is difficult to make our material condition better by the best law, but it is easy enough to ruin it by bad laws." -- Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919) - August 23rd, 1902, Providence, R.I.

Non timebo mala (I fear no evil)

#8 LIRES1987

LIRES1987

Gun Guru

• 1,122 posts

Posted May 22 2010 - 12:29 PM

This is not uncommon. I have tried to pay with a $50 bill at my local Quiznos and they would not take it. Like McDonald's, they have a corporate policy of not taking anything larger then a $20 bill because they would have to open the safe and only certain employees have the keys. I also tried to use a $50 at my local Taco Bell and they took it only because I had no other cash, I think the fact that I am a frequent customer also played a role.

Now I use my debit card, solves the problem of carrying cash :)
Chris

#9 Mosin1942

Mosin1942

Gun Guru

• 1,942 posts
  • LocationEast Nassau

Posted May 22 2010 - 01:02 PM

Like others have said, the reason is that the register doesn't have enough to break a larger bill - or break a larger bill and still make change for the next guy.
-Mike

"We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way." - George Patton

Si vis pacem para bellum

Support Our Troops

#10 T.Webb

T.Webb

Assault is a behavior; Not a weapon.

• 11,551 posts
  • LocationS.W. Suffolk; Stephentown, NY

Posted May 22 2010 - 04:01 PM

Mosin1942 said:

Like others have said, the reason is that the register doesn't have enough to break a larger bill - or break a larger bill and still make change for the next guy.

That's only one reason. The other reason is they're afraid of getting stuck with a counterfeit.

Neither is my problem. If I offer a legal note, I fully expect it to be accepted.

My mind is like a steel trap ... Rusty and Illegal in 34 states.

We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control.

May God Bless the USA, and our troops!

#11 SigSauer228

SigSauer228

Gun Guru

• 4,500 posts

Posted May 22 2010 - 04:16 PM

In this day and age, this is a common practice so...the consumer should know better. An ATM machine only spits out $20 bills so there goes that excuse.

When I go to the bank, I make sure I they give me a few twenties.
"When Western civilization melts down, I want an AK-47" - Richard Venola

"If he was trying to rob somebody's house, why didn't he have a gun to fight back?" - Sherry Morant

"If you have a semiautomatic and can't take someone down with a standard clip, you shouldn't have one." - Carolyn McCarthy (R-NY D-Mineola)

Bloomberg said discussions of mental health and school programs were "just ways to avoid the issue." when speaking of the tragedy in CT

"You gotta ask me nicely!"

#12 AkunaMatata

AkunaMatata

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 5,575 posts
  • LocationRiverhead

Posted May 22 2010 - 04:24 PM

I tihnk you guys are forgetting something: No business is required to deal with you at all whether you have legal notes or not.
"The sword is the soul. Study the soul to know the sword. An evil soul is an evil sword."

-Shimada Toranosuke, 'The Sword of Doom'

GO TEAM KALASHNIKOV!!!

[face=Times]Team SKS. Just like Team AK, but with more class. [/face]

#13 Tonto

Tonto

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 8,939 posts

Posted May 22 2010 - 04:43 PM

SigSauer228 said:

In this day and age, this is a common practice so...the consumer should know better. An ATM machine only spits out $20 bills so there goes that excuse.

When I go to the bank, I make sure I they give me a few twenties.

I don't use an ATM...don't need it, don't want to pay for it either.

And Mc Donalds USED to take larger bills...they just put the sign up this week.....note: it's a handmade sign.
"Practicing forgiveness does not mean accepting wrong doing" ~ The 14th Dalai Lama
Member: O.W.C.A.   Perry The Platypus Fan Club   Sponsored by: Doofenshmirtz Evil Inc.
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. ~ Stephen Hawking

#14 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• 7,331 posts

Posted May 22 2010 - 08:24 PM

7-11 has the 'no bills larger than $20' for years - but they have never refused a larger bill from me.

Also, the ONLY time I ever received a counterfeit bill - was a $20 - FROM COLUMBIA SAVINGS BANK!!!

Because of that, I will NOT take any large bills from any bank - I KNOW it was just a matter of the teller missed it coming in, and just passed it along ASAP to avoid getting in trouble, but I still got screwed for the $20, PLUS having to deal with police about it.

Pete

"It ain't the guns stupid - It's the CRIMINALS!"

"Never try to teach a pig how to sing...it just wastes your time - and annoys the pig." - Robert Anson Heinlein

Prayer for obama - Psalm 109:8 ~ "Let his days be few and brief; and let others step forward to replace him."

Mom, 20 Sept. 1944 - 22 Sept 2010 RIP

#15 2edgesword

2edgesword

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 5,147 posts

Posted May 22 2010 - 08:33 PM

The Architect said:

If someone refuses my $100, Ill be sure to return with 1,000 pennies!  :P

Actually I think there have been court cases that have upheld a merchants practice NOT to accept thousands of pennies as payment. I'd guess the same case law would allow for an establishment not to accept $100 bills also.

Paul

"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men, and if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible that an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin

Member - NRA, SASI, Old Bethpage R & P Club
Instructor - Martial Blade Concepts, Eskrima, Jiu-Jitsu, Combatives
http://www.martialbladeconcepts.com/

#16 hydtguy

hydtguy

just working to improve,one round at a time

• 1,680 posts
  • Locationplainview

Posted May 22 2010 - 08:52 PM

LMAO   try to buy lunch in the Bronx with a 50 or 100 bill.. its a heck of a way to diet  ;)
FYI my kids a bank teller, she said they have been getting a lot of bad 20s, 50s and 100s. they even are starting to get bad 10s..

PS. She just took her mini medical for NYPD hopes to get in the summer class.  :)

#17 Mosin1942

Mosin1942

Gun Guru

• 1,942 posts
  • LocationEast Nassau

Posted May 22 2010 - 09:32 PM

T.Webb said:

That's only one reason. The other reason is they're afraid of getting stuck with a counterfeit.

Neither is my problem. If I offer a legal note, I fully expect it to be accepted.

Well, it is your problem since any place of business has the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason. "The customer is always right" is NOT the law, it's just a common policy of curteousy extended to customers from business owners. If someone came into your house and demanded you to do something that you didn't want to do, then proclaimed "But you have to, I'm the guest and you're the host!", how would you feel?
-Mike

"We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way." - George Patton

Si vis pacem para bellum

Support Our Troops

#18 Tonto

Tonto

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 8,939 posts

Posted May 22 2010 - 09:45 PM

The question wasn't about refusing service...it was about them refusing to take legal tender...$100's & $50's

#19 Mosin1942

Mosin1942

Gun Guru

• 1,942 posts
  • LocationEast Nassau

Posted May 22 2010 - 10:07 PM

Tonto said:

The question wasn't about refusing service...it was about them refusing to take legal tender...$100's & $50's

Which would be their right of refusing service, their reason being that they will not accept any bills larger than $20. They aren't refusing to accept legal US currency, they are choosing not to accept certain denominations of legal US currency. Refusing legal US currency would be if something cost $5 and they refused to accept a $5 bill, instead demanding that you pay in Euros, Pesos, Yen...
-Mike

Si vis pacem para bellum

Support Our Troops

#20 Tonto

Tonto

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 8,939 posts

Posted May 22 2010 - 10:20 PM

Ok...I just found this on the US Treasury site:

Question I thought that United States currency was legal tender for all debts. Some businesses or governmental agencies say that they will only accept checks, money orders or credit cards as payment, and others will only accept currency notes in denominations of $20 or smaller. Isn't this illegal?

Answer
The pertinent portion of law that applies to your question is the Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," which states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users