Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Case shoulder issues

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 10,097 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted May 19 2017 - 08:54 PM

Hey guys just loaded and shot 30 30-06 round and I found it hard to lock the bolt down. When I got home  I looked over the brass and thought it was just maybe the new heads I was using need to be seated a little deeper. I start setting up to load up some 308win and wanted to make sure I didn't have the same issue well I set the test round to the max col and tried to cycle the bolt on my 308 it was very hard to close the bolt all the way. Open and close the bolt handle and it got a little easier. Check the round be after it ejected and it was not touching the lands. Next i just cyled a empty case and it was the same. I'm thinking maybe it the case it was not fired out of my gun so maybe the chamber might have been a little loss in the gun it was fired from so I puthought one of the case from my gun in it it was smooth as glass so I full length resized it and tried it again Bam the issue is back. It seem the shoulder is getting miss shape when resized how do I stop this from happening any more.  Here some pictures  left is fired right is resized both where fired from the same gun.

Attached File  1495245178319-1328819613.jpg   93.01KB   2 downloads

Attached File  1495245217724-391354286.jpg   111.48KB   1 downloads

Any help be great.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Lou G

Lou G

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 597 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted May 20 2017 - 10:52 AM

I had the same problem with my 50 BMG. After I annealed the case I bumped the the shoulder back slightly with my full length neck sizer die. I had to keep closing the bolt on  the case till it worked. There were some cases that would not work at all. Also take the the sizer off your decaping die.

Edited by Lou G, May 20 2017 - 10:52 AM.

• NRATC53 likes this

#3 Shotgun682

Shotgun682

LIF Official Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 1,949 posts

Posted May 20 2017 - 12:00 PM

Can't see much in the pics but to much case lube, a dirty sizing die or your sizing die not adjusted properly can cause your problems
  • leftjammer likes this

#4 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator

• 10,097 posts

Posted May 21 2017 - 07:55 AM

Ok I figured it out I reset the die to bottom out before it would cam over and just about lock up the pres and it's all good. It was not even a quarter turn of the die.
  • NRATC53 and Mad Russian like this

#5 Mad Russian

Mad Russian

Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 21,970 posts
  • LocationUltimate irony is admiring a foreign President more than your own!

Posted May 21 2017 - 07:58 PM

Ok I figured it out I reset the die to bottom out before it would cam over and just about lock up the pres and it's all good. It was not even a quarter turn of the die.

Remember that hundredths of an inch make a big difference...
Old don't reload Winchester branded rifle brass because I've had too many instances of the neck and shoulder collapsing during a full resize.

Edited by Mad Russian, May 21 2017 - 07:59 PM.

#6 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator

• 10,097 posts

Posted May 22 2017 - 08:51 AM

Remember that hundredths of an inch make a big difference...
Old don't reload Winchester branded rifle brass because I've had too many instances of the neck and shoulder collapsing during a full resize.

I looked at my older 30-06 and the case are normal but the newer ones are out of spec I'll have to reset that die as well.
  • Mad Russian likes this

#7 Fotheringill

Fotheringill

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 618 posts

Posted May 22 2017 - 09:01 AM

If you are going to resize some, it is suggested you resize all. It will avoid frustration later when you get mediocre results because the cases are not the same.

• Mad Russian likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users