Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Barrel vise for field?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cprstn54

cprstn54

Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 25 posts
  • LocationCenterport, NY

Posted May 16 2017 - 10:23 AM

When I tried to put a muzzle brake on my new T/C Compass 300WM I found it took serious torque to crush the "crush washer" - even a little bit.

I could put the barrel in a vise with appropriate hardwood cheeks, but I would like to be able to undo this on the road or in the field. In the meanwhile, I just used hi-temp, medium-strength thread locker and it works OK.

Is there anything that will hold the barrel, other than the large clunky barrel vises I see at Midway, etc.?

Vise grips would be nice, if they could be covered so they didn't mess up the barrel.

Also, is there a type of crush washer that compresses with less force? I have seen in forums that you need 40 lb-ft to compress one. Seems like way too much.

Ken C

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Mad Russian

Mad Russian

Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!

• Donated Member
  • 21,970 posts
  • LocationUltimate irony is admiring a foreign President more than your own!

Posted May 16 2017 - 12:10 PM

Drill and tap the brake with a 6-32 or an 8-32 tap (larger is easier to tap), use a set screw to hold the brake. Make sure you dimple the threads with the drill bit where the set screw contacts the barrel (it will prevent the set screw from crushing the threads making removal hard) and chase the threads with the brake.
From then on all you need is a Allen key to remove the brake.
  • Yaphank Kid likes this

#3 Yaphank Kid

Yaphank Kid

Older Budweiser

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 2,174 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted May 17 2017 - 07:14 PM

You could use a strap wrench
  • Mad Russian likes this

#4 cprstn54

cprstn54

Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 25 posts
  • LocationCenterport, NY

Posted May 18 2017 - 07:18 AM

I do have a strap wrench left over from my boating days when I had to immobilize the drive shaft. Handle is almost 2' long, tho.

Drilling and tapping for me means a trip to a machine shop because I don't have a jig that would let me drill perpendicular to the barrel.

I am thinking I will try a panel nut as a jam nut. I have an adjustable wrench with thin jaws that might do the job. I can paint it flat black. If the jaws are too wide, they make ultra-thin spanner sets.

Ken C

#5 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 10,530 posts

Posted May 18 2017 - 07:33 AM

When I tried to put a muzzle brake on my new T/C Compass 300WM I found it took serious torque to crush the "crush washer" - even a little bit.

I could put the barrel in a vise with appropriate hardwood cheeks, but I would like to be able to undo this on the road or in the field. In the meanwhile, I just used hi-temp, medium-strength thread locker and it works OK.

Is there anything that will hold the barrel, other than the large clunky barrel vises I see at Midway, etc.?

Vise grips would be nice, if they could be covered so they didn't mess up the barrel.

Also, is there a type of crush washer that compresses with less force? I have seen in forums that you need 40 lb-ft to compress one. Seems like way too much.

Ken C

40 lb-ft isn't all that much in the world of tightening things...  but with a fine pitch thread that is a LOT of "crush" power

• Mad Russian likes this

#6 Mad Russian

Mad Russian

Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!

• Donated Member
  • 21,970 posts
  • LocationUltimate irony is admiring a foreign President more than your own!

Posted May 18 2017 - 07:43 AM

Don't need a machine shop. You need a vise, a drill and tapping handle. The hole also doesn't need to be within 1/100 of an inch of perpendicular to the barrel, all its doing is preventing the brake from turning and that doesn't require a lot of torque.
  • Parashooter likes this

#7 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member + Classifieds
  • 10,530 posts

Posted May 18 2017 - 09:48 AM

Meant to post this earlier.... But a barrel WRENCH will do the job of a barrel VISE "in the field"  to hold the barrel while you turn the brake.

a 2 foot bar/handle with barrel blocks - maybe even a clamp to attach it to the bench, and now it's a barrel "vise".

Why would you want to be doing this 'in the field' anyway?

#8 cprstn54

cprstn54

Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 25 posts
  • LocationCenterport, NY

Posted May 18 2017 - 10:16 AM

Meant to post this earlier.... But a barrel WRENCH will do the job of a barrel VISE "in the field"  to hold the barrel while you turn the brake.

a 2 foot bar/handle with barrel blocks - maybe even a clamp to attach it to the bench, and now it's a barrel "vise".

Why would you want to be doing this 'in the field' anyway?

----------

1-Kindly provide a URL showing the kind of barrel wrench you mean.

2-Change it for a flash hider? Or just put the thread protector back on. Also, what started me on this quest was that I learned that some ranges won't let you use them because it annoys the shooters to your sides.

Ken C

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users