Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

new to firearms and want to try shooting

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 LarryD23

LarryD23

Sharp Shooter!

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 410 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted May 17 2017 - 10:26 PM

the zombie apocalypse is already here, some have been posting on this OP !

i am not a rich person, i don't have the money to buy multiple rifles .. i most likely won't be hunting in new york, i hope to move southwest !

this post was about finding someone who would let me try out their rifles, one and a half people offered that ! i am not looking for advice really

Good luck then.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#42 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 3,975 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted May 18 2017 - 08:13 AM

Both the USA and USMC will gladly let you try out their rifles...https://video.search...d7&action=click

• boss351 likes this

#43 dogonapillow

dogonapillow

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Locationmineola

Posted May 18 2017 - 08:15 AM

Both the USA and USMC will gladly let you try out their rifles...

i actually went to an air force recruiter, i ended up passing because of a couple of reasons one being that i'd be forced to eat crap cafeteria food for at least three years and the second being i'd be forced to live with someone i don't know for at least a couple years

i need my solitude and quality food !

#44 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 3,975 posts

Posted May 18 2017 - 08:40 AM

must be nice to let others serve their country for you

#45 dogonapillow

dogonapillow

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Locationmineola

Posted May 18 2017 - 08:42 AM

why be passive aggressive ? nothing better to do retired man ? 

#46 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 3,975 posts

Posted May 18 2017 - 09:06 AM

no, just wishing you good luck finding someone to babysit.   but if you pay them enough...

• Destro likes this

#47 Range Time

Range Time

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationWestern Suffolk

Posted May 18 2017 - 02:36 PM

Jason, I offered to take you shooting because I believe it is our responsibility to help people learn about firearms. The fact that some people here want to give you advice only may be frustrating, but it's understandable given the risks involved and (sadly) the prevalence of the NY gun owner hesitance that comes from fighting for scraps and having to be guarded about what is our right. Because of your reaction to some negativity, you have turned off a bunch of people who might have been happy to help you out once they got to know you. No one, except maybe a company, will allow you to shoot his or her firearms, without giving you some advice.
  • ProGodProGunProLife, LarryD23 and Camaro45th like this

#48 dogonapillow

dogonapillow

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Locationmineola

Posted May 18 2017 - 03:13 PM

well, i'm not trying to make friends, especially not a forum seeing as forums are notorious for housing dumbasses 

i got a 'warning' cuz some retardee suggested i join the army to shoot guns. yeah let me commit three years minimum of my life so i can shoot a gun, then he becomes even more passive aggressive and denies he's being passive aggressive 

you can learn more on youtube than you can from one single person .. i'm just trying to shoot some different calibers, not find a boyfriend ! 

anyway, i've found someone willing to do that so this OP is pretty much dead ! 

#49 Jaredwii

Jaredwii

Respected Gunowner

• 180 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County, ISLIP

Posted May 18 2017 - 03:35 PM

Um did i miss something cause i noticed OP is banned? 

#50 ProGodProGunProLife

ProGodProGunProLife

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 6,107 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted May 18 2017 - 03:41 PM

well, i'm not trying to make friends, especially not a forum seeing as forums are notorious for housing dumbasses 

i got a 'warning' cuz some retardee suggested i join the army to shoot guns. yeah let me commit three years minimum of my life so i can shoot a gun, then he becomes even more passive aggressive and denies he's being passive aggressive 

you can learn more on youtube than you can from one single person .. i'm just trying to shoot some different calibers, not find a boyfriend ! 

anyway, i've found someone willing to do that so this OP is pretty much dead ! 

Bye, troll.

#51 mak00

mak00

Gun Guru

• 2,340 posts

Posted May 18 2017 - 03:53 PM

when i buy a rifle i plan on getting snap caps ! no recoil with those and i can still have a higher caliber gun !

saw the savage arms axis 2 in store today, can't remember in which caliber but it was a wood 'frame' and pretty heavy !

Banned. Easy come, easy go.

Lots of good advice. but I think he had a chip on his shoulder. 

He's a young man that thinks he's going to buy a "high" caliber rifle & practice shooting w/ snap caps. Then go hunting when the day comes (gun will probably fly out of his hands or scope bite is my guess.)

Has no idea what caliber he wants, except it's going to be a "High" caliber.  Ahhh, young an naïve.

• Destro, ProGodProGunProLife and Jaredwii like this

#52 Nick S.

Nick S.

Sharp Shooter!

• 499 posts

Posted May 18 2017 - 06:26 PM

Every one has to start somewhere. I think getting professional instruction from DSI is the best advice. I was very young when I took an NRA course just for my BB gun. Then when I was old enough to join the BSA I received instruction at summer camp. I've been shooting ever since.

#53 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12,152 posts
  • LocationRunning with the spirits of the Nesaquake & Caleb Smith

Posted May 18 2017 - 07:42 PM

Banned. Easy come, easy go.

Lots of good advice. but I think he had a chip on his shoulder. 

He's a young man that thinks he's going to buy a "high" caliber rifle & practice shooting w/ snap caps. Then go hunting when the day comes (gun will probably fly out of his hands or scope bite is my guess.)

Has no idea what caliber he wants, except it's going to be a "High" caliber.  Ahhh, young an naïve.

I think the rainman-esque repeating of "snapcaps" gave away the trollness.

Yeah, doesn't want to practice with live ammo and start with the basics, but thinks he can get the shot placement required for hunting with a larger caliber (doesn't have any idea) through messing around with snap caps. Snap caps, bro.

Edited by Destro, May 18 2017 - 07:42 PM.

• mak00 likes this

#54 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator

• 10,097 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted May 18 2017 - 07:54 PM

i want a rifle for hunting, not to just mess around with ! i will mess around but with snap caps, thus trying to prevent a flinch

i'm looking at a savage arms axis II, dunno what caliber .. probably should go shooting before deciding

Well it you plan on hunting on Long Island your going to need a shotgun cause it shotgun only. Snap cap will not prevent the flinch it will teach you fell of your trigger on your gun. Only live fire trigger time will help.

As for caliber you way far from making that chose. That's why all of the long time shooters on here are all recommending a 22lr gun as your first gun and cause you will be buying one anyway as we all have at least one.

#55 Camaro45th

Camaro45th

Sharp Shooter!

• 436 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted May 18 2017 - 08:06 PM

I'm sorry but this might sound bad coming from a relatively new member here. Like a few have stated, I'm against handing someone I kind of don't know a firearm of mine. Even my 22 which is always looks at as "barely a gun" can be deadly. I understand the frustration of wanting to learn to shoot and trying to try out different things. I know he's gone, and will probably complain elsewhere but if you do see this, go to the store and go buy a small caliber. Maybe if you go to the range and you meet other shooters, after a while they might feel inclined to let you shoot their larger caliber stuff.
  • ProGodProGunProLife likes this

#56 leftjammer

leftjammer

Gun Guru

• 2,371 posts
  • LocationNew Hyde Park

Posted May 18 2017 - 09:33 PM

yep sounded like some young kid who thinks the world owes him something,, 

Can I shoot your rifle?

Im gonna use snap caps LOL

Im going to use it ri gi hunting,,

I dont need no advice

dumbasses on this board  LOL

That was either a troll or a genuine jack ass

• pequa1 and ProGodProGunProLife like this

#57 Jaredwii

Jaredwii

Respected Gunowner

• 180 posts

Posted May 18 2017 - 10:01 PM

Well it you plan on hunting on Long Island your going to need a shotgun cause it shotgun only. Snap cap will not prevent the flinch it will teach you fell of your trigger on your gun. Only live fire trigger time will help.

As for caliber you way far from making that chose. That's why all of the long time shooters on here are all recommending a 22lr gun as your first gun and cause you will be buying one anyway as we all have at least one.

What about pistol as sidearm in case if there's any dangerous animal charging at you?

#58 Jaredwii

Jaredwii

Respected Gunowner

• 180 posts

Posted May 18 2017 - 10:02 PM

Can I shoot your rifle?

I dont need no advice

I'm pretty sure he's 12 years old with too much of Google info on guns..

#59 ProGodProGunProLife

ProGodProGunProLife

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator

• 6,107 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted May 18 2017 - 10:45 PM

Can I shoot your rifle?
I dont need no advice

I hope he was a troll. I'd feel bad for him if he is really that much of a jackass.

I would let any reasonable person try any of my "high caliber rifles". But never a douchebag like him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users