Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Moving to NY with long guns and handguns

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 NRATC53

NRATC53

Soon to be Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 20,960 posts

Posted May 12 2017 - 06:11 AM

Good Luck and while your driving here wave to all the peoples moving trucks going in the opposite direction leaving the State...

Yup, first truckload done

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 NRATC53

NRATC53

Soon to be Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 20,960 posts

Posted May 12 2017 - 06:17 AM

Thing is, Nassau is notorirous for their lack of competence in handling long guns - they've been sued (and they lost) several times over people's long guns...

Don't do anything stupid to get yourself and your vehicle searched on your trip and you'll be fine.....   Remember the phrase "No, I do not consent to any search"   

Actual conversation during traffic stop:

"Anything in here I need to know about?"

"Nope"

"Mind if I look?"

"I do not content to any searches"

"You sound like you know something about the law. Well, so do I- This is almost a gravity knife"

"and you're almost a cop. Anything else?"

[Hands back knife, license registration and insurance card, walks back to Sector car and leaves]

I do not recommend anyone else do what is listed above

• Parashooter and ProGodProGunProLife like this

#23 Fotheringill

Fotheringill

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 618 posts

Posted May 12 2017 - 10:23 AM

Guys-

On the Remington 870 Express, does that have to be NY Compliant?

Grips, length, etc.?

#24 joey52685

joey52685

Sharp Shooter!

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 643 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted May 12 2017 - 12:46 PM

Guys-

On the Remington 870 Express, does that have to be NY Compliant?

Grips, length, etc.?

The Remington 870 is a pump action not a semi-automatic, so you don't have to worry about any of the features like the grip or adjustable stock.  You do need to ensure the overall length is at least 26in and the barrel is at least 18in.  The 870 Express meets those requirements out of the box. 

#25 anothersteve

anothersteve

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 819 posts

Posted May 12 2017 - 07:41 PM

Sorry, you lost me at
"Moving "to" New York".
Later,Steve

Edited by anothersteve, May 12 2017 - 07:42 PM.

• Parashooter and RoadRage like this

#26 mikeybny

mikeybny

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted May 12 2017 - 08:56 PM

thanks for all the input and "support." I'll be in NY for at least a year.  there is a good chance that I will need to move again next year, so I'm hopeful if I do it will be to a state that respects the constitution and doesn't have leadership with their heads so far up you know where.

In the meantime, I look forward to learning more on this board and getting to know some of shooting community on LI

For right now, I think I'm going to sell my handguns and keep my long guns and work on that aspect of my collection for the year

#27 slowryder

slowryder

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1,201 posts

Posted May 13 2017 - 06:15 AM

Post your pistols here. If some one here likes them, It's just a matter of shipping them from a FFL in Md. to a FFL here in NY.
Just a thought.

#28 NRATC53

NRATC53

Soon to be Ex NYer

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 20,960 posts

Posted May 13 2017 - 04:00 PM

Correct. You can just bring the long guns. But if you feel like shipping them, you can ship them to yourself. No FFL is required.

FFL only comes into play if shipping between two different parties (not the manufacturer either).

From what I've heard, Nassau wait times have improved a lot in the past couple of years. But the advice given at the counter is still horrible.

It's not rocket science

#29 mikeybny

mikeybny

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted May 13 2017 - 09:31 PM

It's not rocket science

agreed, but getting a correct answer from the people in the police department seemed to be challenging, which is why I asked here.

• Parashooter, pj4863 and rlitman like this

#30 NRATC53

NRATC53

Soon to be Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 20,960 posts

Posted May 14 2017 - 06:20 AM

agreed, but getting a correct answer from the people in the police department seemed to be challenging, which is why I asked here.

I know- Definitely not knocking you, just aggravated that those who are tasked with enforcing those parts of the law are so used to making things up as they go along that you have to ask here. Always happy to help

• Parashooter, gcloss, rlitman and 1 other like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users