Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Moving to NY with long guns and handguns

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 mikeybny

mikeybny

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted May 10 2017 - 08:34 PM

I will be moving to long island in July from Maryland.  I currently have 3 handguns, 2 long guns and a stripped AR lower receiver.  I understand that to get my pistols up here, I will need to have them shipped to a nassau county FFL, then obtain my pistol permit (however long that takes) then can pick them up from that FFL.

But for the long guns, my understanding is that I do not need a permit and can have them shipped to the FFL in nassau county and then pick them up once I have my NYS drivers license and they do the background check and I pay the fees.  At least that is what I was told when I called the pistol permit department of nassau county police, but I just want to double check that that is the procedure.

FYI my handguns are:

CZ 75 PCR

Walther ppq .22

S&W 586 .357

-being as I bought them in maryland, they all have 10 round magazines and should be legal in NY as well

my long guns are:

Remington 870 express 12 gauge

Mosin Nagant

Spikes Tactical lower receiver

I also understand that my AR build will need to be SAFE act compliant and I am accumulating those parts now to ensure that it is NY legal

Any tips or advice on the long gun process or anyone moved to NY with long guns?

Also, any recs for a nassau county FFL I can use? I always try and support sponsors of gun forums if there are any here.  Thanks!

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Seancusmc

Seancusmc

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 615 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted May 10 2017 - 09:00 PM

call the police department pistol licensing bureau here for the appropriate county. Be guided by them. The process to obtaining a license here is long and painful for many. You're probably about to hear a bunch of horror stories and whining from people that went through what you're about to go through. Hope you dont have to sell them.

#3 DanJ

DanJ

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 815 posts

Posted May 10 2017 - 09:03 PM

I don't see any reason why the OP can't just bring his long guns and lower to his new home in NY himself. Why does he need to go through an FFL?

Edited by DanJ, May 10 2017 - 09:05 PM.

• grifhunter, Mr. Shotgun, NRATC53 and 5 others like this

#4 Shotgun682

Shotgun682

LIF Official Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 1,949 posts

Posted May 10 2017 - 10:55 PM

Long guns are yours you don't need to ship them thru any FFL. Handguns will be best of you sold them in Maryland or left them there until you obtain a pistol license here. It could take you 2 years or more to get your pistol license here.
  • joey52685 and ProGodProGunProLife like this

#5 mikeybny

mikeybny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted May 10 2017 - 11:31 PM

Long guns are yours you don't need to ship them thru any FFL. Handguns will be best of you sold them in Maryland or left them there until you obtain a pistol license here. It could take you 2 years or more to get your pistol license here.

yeah, I was worried about that with the handguns.  I may try and see if I can leave them here for now or just sell them...none have sentimental value and can be replaced.  There is a chance that I will need to move out of NY in a year anyway

#6 mikeybny

mikeybny

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted May 10 2017 - 11:33 PM

call the police department pistol licensing bureau here for the appropriate county. Be guided by them. The process to obtaining a license here is long and painful for many. You're probably about to hear a bunch of horror stories and whining from people that went through what you're about to go through. Hope you dont have to sell them.

I did call them, but they seemed a bit confused about the long gun question and process.  She put me on hold to check so I don't have much faith in their understanding of long gun laws.  

has anyone moved to NY with long guns? if so, what was the process?

#7 NRATC53

NRATC53

Soon to be Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 20,960 posts

Posted May 11 2017 - 03:40 AM

I did call them, but they seemed a bit confused about the long gun question and process.  She put me on hold to check so I don't have much faith in their understanding of long gun laws.  

As long as they were NY legal (not prohibited) you put them in a case (ammo separate) , lock it, drive to NY. Done

• Parashooter, boosti, gcloss and 2 others like this

#8 Camaro45th

Camaro45th

Sharp Shooter!

• 436 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted May 11 2017 - 04:32 AM

If you know someone in Nassau, why not just "sell" them to that person (if they have a permit) and this way they can hold on to them for you and you can just "sell" them back to you once you get your permit.

#9 Landlubber

Landlubber

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 60 posts
  • LocationNassau NY

Posted May 11 2017 - 06:09 AM

I don't see any reason why the OP can't just bring his long guns and lower to his new home in NY himself. Why does he need to go through an FFL?

Because, look who he asked for information.

• grifhunter likes this

#10 rlitman

rlitman

Gun Guru

• 1,911 posts
  • LocationBellmore

Posted May 11 2017 - 06:45 AM

As long as they were NY legal (not prohibited) you put them in a case (ammo separate) , lock it, drive to NY. Done

Correct. You can just bring the long guns. But if you feel like shipping them, you can ship them to yourself. No FFL is required.

FFL only comes into play if shipping between two different parties (not the manufacturer either).

From what I've heard, Nassau wait times have improved a lot in the past couple of years. But the advice given at the counter is still horrible.

#11 slowryder

slowryder

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1,201 posts

Posted May 11 2017 - 07:24 AM

Hi mikeybny, Seems like your on right tract, I'd keep the parts for your AR encase you move out of NY in the future, you would than be able to restore your AR back. If you can apply and get a Maryland Wear and Carry Permit prior to your move if possible.
I would contact NCPDPLB and have them mail you the forms so you can pre fill them out. Use you friends as references where you live now. Unless you have some that are here.
I was stationed in Georgia and had a Georgia Weapons license, after 5 years I moved back to NY with all my firearms. Not realizing that my GWL wasn't accepted here. I picked up my application in Yapank for NYSPL here, I asked about references. They told me if I had any in NY to use them. I ended up with 2 from NY and 2 from Ga. After my license arrived, I shipped my pistols here by FFL to get them entered on my license here.
As far as your pistols, leave them with a friend or relative that will be willing to hold them while you obtain a NYSPL. JMHO

https://www.pdcn.org/

#12 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,355 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted May 11 2017 - 07:28 AM

Depends on which County you apply with. Some require you to be a resident for one year before applying for a pistol license.

#13 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 10,530 posts

Posted May 11 2017 - 08:39 AM

OK - DO NOT ask the police for legal advice - they are not lawyers, and will default to a "no" answer.

Your long guns - no need to ship or pay for FFL/NICS - case them up, locks are not required but a good idea (prevents an unlawful search) Mags out, no ammo in mags, ammo in a separate container (for NYC or DC, NJ... cover your ass thing)

IF you have the choice where to live, Suffolk county is less expensive and less PITA for licensing.

yeah, I was worried about that with the handguns.  I may try and see if I can leave them here for now or just sell them...none have sentimental value and can be replaced.  There is a chance that I will need to move out of NY in a year anyway

I don't know what MD laws are - if you can, leave them there with family or a friend, (I would just park a safe there)  And wait until you get a license here before shipping anything -  Often they drag their feet and take over a year to issue a license, on top of the time they are likely to tell you you have to live he to be a resident...

• joey52685 and rlitman like this

#14 mikeybny

mikeybny

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted May 11 2017 - 08:52 AM

OK - DO NOT ask the police for legal advice - they are not lawyers, and will default to a "no" answer.

Your long guns - no need to ship or pay for FFL/NICS - case them up, locks are not required but a good idea (prevents an unlawful search) Mags out, no ammo in mags, ammo in a separate container (for NYC or DC, NJ... cover your ass thing)

IF you have the choice where to live, Suffolk county is less expensive and less PITA for licensing.

I don't know what MD laws are - if you can, leave them there with family or a friend, (I would just park a safe there)  And wait until you get a license here before shipping anything -  Often they drag their feet and take over a year to issue a license, on top of the time they are likely to tell you you have to live he to be a resident...

Thanks for the info.  i figured the people in the pistol office didn't quite know what they were saying and were just telling me the safest thing from their end.

i'll see if I can find someone to leave my handguns with here in MD as I've already checked with the law and that is allowed as I would be responsible for them still if they were used by the person I leave them with to commit a crime.  To protect myself and my friend, I'd probably take the firing pins out and with me

does NY allow mail order of AR parts? Like could I order a barrel and have it shipped to my house, or does everything (not just the lower) have to go through an FFL?

#15 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,355 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted May 11 2017 - 09:16 AM

Thanks for the info.  i figured the people in the pistol office didn't quite know what they were saying and were just telling me the safest thing from their end.

i'll see if I can find someone to leave my handguns with here in MD as I've already checked with the law and that is allowed as I would be responsible for them still if they were used by the person I leave them with to commit a crime.  To protect myself and my friend, I'd probably take the firing pins out and with me

does NY allow mail order of AR parts? Like could I order a barrel and have it shipped to my house, or does everything (not just the lower) have to go through an FFL?

You may order any gun part for an AR. Only the lower must go through an FFL. You will find stores like Jerry's Firearms and DSI that offer fixed magazine options and have everything you need to have a NY compliant AR.
  • NRATC53, ProGodProGunProLife and rlitman like this

#16 joey52685

joey52685

Sharp Shooter!

• 643 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted May 11 2017 - 01:01 PM

You may order any gun part for an AR. Only the lower must go through an FFL. You will find stores like Jerry's Firearms and DSI that offer fixed magazine options and have everything you need to have a NY compliant AR.

Unfortunately, while this is true, a lot of websites won't ship to us anyway.  But don't be discouraged, plenty of others do you just have to shop around. 

• NRATC53, Seancusmc and boosti like this

#17 Seancusmc

Seancusmc

Gun Guru

• 615 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted May 11 2017 - 09:48 PM

I wouldn't expect the pistol licensing bureau to know about your long guns. All they do is pistols, but thats where you are going to run into difficulty. Most cops dont understand that nonsense safe act bullshit either. Aside from the SAFE act, NY State has pretty standard rifle and shotgun laws. I think you can just bring them with you. You can throw them in a moving truck, put them under a plane etc. There may be different rules, state to state, as to what condition they are transported in with regards to your access to them and ammo. I think you'd be safe having your guns unloaded with no ammunition readily accessible, in the trunk or in the back of  a moving truck. 

#18 LarryD23

LarryD23

Sharp Shooter!

• 410 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted May 12 2017 - 05:12 AM

In case your head hasn't started spinning yet, if you plan on shipping your long guns you should familiarize yourself with the USPS or UPS rules and regulations regarding firearms.

#19 Ransom

Ransom

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 6,259 posts
  • LocationCuomo's State

Posted May 12 2017 - 05:25 AM

Good Luck and while your driving here wave to all the peoples moving trucks going in the opposite direction leaving the State...

• grifhunter, NRATC53 and SemiAutoFetish like this

#20 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• 10,530 posts

Posted May 12 2017 - 06:09 AM

Thing is, Nassau is notorirous for their lack of competence in handling long guns - they've been sued (and they lost) several times over people's long guns...

Don't do anything stupid to get yourself and your vehicle searched on your trip and you'll be fine.....   Remember the phrase "No, I do not consent to any search"   

• NRATC53 and rlitman like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users