Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

FFL to accept non Safe Act AR

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Rgnbull2271

Rgnbull2271

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationEastern LI

Posted April 21 2017 - 09:25 AM

Found a very nice S&W AR15 from out of state that is NOT NY Compliant.  Looking to have this shipped to an FFL on LI and then modify to a fixed Mag to meet compliance.  Anyone know of an FFL on LI that will accept delivery of this AR to modify?

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Steyr AUG man

Steyr AUG man

• Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted April 21 2017 - 09:33 AM

if not, see if the seller can remove the pin and separate the rifle into two pieces, then remove the pistol grip. . ship it in two shipments, the lower without the pistol grip, and then the assembled upper with the pistol grip in the box. assuming he would do that, would this be acceptable? you would have a lower with no evil features, and another box with assorted rifle parts.

#3 Vycor

Vycor

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member + Classifieds
  • 1,851 posts

Posted April 21 2017 - 10:23 AM

You'll have a tough time finding an FFL who will accept the transfer and hand you the firearm if it is not modified. Even if you plan to do the modifications yourself. They cannot hand you a firearm that is currently illegal in NY. You'd have to either have the firearm modified prior to arrival OR pre-arrange with the FFL to have them modify the firearm for you.

Another option, if it's an AR15, just have the weapon broken apart. Meaning have them send the lower without any grip on it to the FFL for the transfer. Everything else can be shipped right to you. Then you can make your modifications to make it NY legal BEFORE putting the firearm together... that's what I'd do since it's an AR15.

I had this issue with a pistol... I had to have the pistol made "NY legal" prior to having it handed to me. It took 2 shipping attempts. First time it didn't mean par... 2nd time I had the person sending me the pistol fix it better so when it came back, it was NY legal

#4 Rgnbull2271

Rgnbull2271

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationEastern LI

Posted April 21 2017 - 10:27 AM

You'll have a tough time finding an FFL who will accept the transfer and hand you the firearm if it is not modified. Even if you plan to do the modifications yourself. They cannot hand you a firearm that is currently illegal in NY. You'd have to either have the firearm modified prior to arrival OR pre-arrange with the FFL to have them modify the firearm for you.

Another option, if it's an AR15, just have the weapon broken apart. Meaning have them send the lower without any grip on it to the FFL for the transfer. Everything else can be shipped right to you. Then you can make your modifications to make it NY legal BEFORE putting the firearm together... that's what I'd do since it's an AR15.

I had this issue with a pistol... I had to have the pistol made "NY legal" prior to having it handed to me. It took 2 shipping attempts. First time it didn't mean par... 2nd time I had the person sending me the pistol fix it better so when it came back, it was NY legal

My plan was to have the FFL modify prior to pick up.  Was not looking for an FFL to hand me a non compliant gun.  Asking around and awaiting replies.  

#5 ProGodProGunProLife

ProGodProGunProLife

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 6,148 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted April 21 2017 - 10:30 AM

Found a very nice S&W AR15 from out of state that is NOT NY Compliant.  Looking to have this shipped to an FFL on LI and then modify to a fixed Mag to meet compliance.  Anyone know of an FFL on LI that will accept delivery of this AR to modify?

Jerry's Firearms in Bohemia might do it.  He has a manufacturer's license, so it would be totally legally for him to receive it, modify it and transfer it to you. I am not sure if it would legal for an FFL without a manufacturing license to do it. 

IIRC, someone on LIGC mentioned that Fred's Gun Shop in Port Jefferson might do this as well.  

• bluekoala likes this

#6 Rgnbull2271

Rgnbull2271

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationEastern LI

Posted April 21 2017 - 10:37 AM

Jerry's Firearms in Bohemia might do it.  He has a manufacturer's license, so it would be totally legally for him to receive it, modify it and transfer it to you. I am not sure if it would legal for an FFL without a manufacturing license to do it. 

IIRC, someone on LIGC mentioned that Fred's Gun Shop in Port Jefferson might do this as well.  

I emailed him this AM as also looking to install his JFS Fixed Mag Kit.  Fingers crossed.

#7 ProGodProGunProLife

ProGodProGunProLife

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator

• 6,148 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted April 21 2017 - 10:50 AM

I emailed him this AM as also looking to install his JFS Fixed Mag Kit.  Fingers crossed.

Jerry's response might be a bit slower than normal today.  He is running a big estate sale out of his shop.  

• killian likes this

#8 DarkStorm

DarkStorm

Gun Guru

• Forum Sponsor
  • Others: Donated Member

• 2,356 posts

Posted April 21 2017 - 11:42 AM

In order to modify a firearm in inventory, Federal Law requires that the FFL be a type 7 "manufacturer", the FFL then needs to engrave the firearm with their license name and location in minimum 1/16" tall and .003" deep letters, in accordance with 27 CFR 478.92.  The engraving is not required if both the original and new manufacturer have a marking variance approved by the ATF.  Most reputable manufacturers will not sign off on other manufacturers to re-manufacturer their firearms and many will void the warranty if the firearm is modified.  If the FFL manufacturers 50 or more rifles per year, they must all pay federal excise tax in the amount of 11% of 75% of the retail value of the firearm to the TTB.  If the firearm has already had some excise tax paid by the original manufacturer, then that may be taken as credit, but the challenge is knowing the amount.  The latter two requirements tend to make modifying a firearm not cost effective, assuming the FFL is following the law and I would strongly encourage any of them to do so.  In short, you are better off buying a rifle that is already compliant from the original manufacturer.  In addition to DSI, there are probably another half dozen manufacturers manufacturing NYS compliant rifles.

#9 Landlubber

Landlubber

Respected Gunowner

• 120 posts
  • LocationNassau NY

Posted April 21 2017 - 03:30 PM

Check post #2 by Steyr Aug man. that is what I would do.

#10 Swstock

Swstock

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1,593 posts

Posted April 21 2017 - 06:29 PM

Watch out. Troop L says you can't do it.

#11 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,460 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted April 21 2017 - 06:39 PM

Friday Night thread

#12 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator

• 10,147 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted April 21 2017 - 06:51 PM

You cold see if the seller would do the conversion if you send him the parts that maybe a option

Use a Jerry's or DD ranch mag lock

#13 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12,172 posts
  • LocationRunning with the spirits of the Nesaquake & Caleb Smith

Posted April 22 2017 - 02:02 PM

Back in the pre-ban days we'd use an intermediary to do the compliance work out of state. That would probably be a more reasonable option. ADCO for instance did a lot of compliance work like pinning stocks, welding barrels, etc. They have an excellent reputation and had some of the first neutered NY SCARs available. Many would send out a gun bought in auction to them to get work done prior to sending it to an FFL in state. Just a route that may be a workable option for you OP.

https://www.adcofire...m/shopservices/

• Tonto likes this

#14 Steyr AUG man

Steyr AUG man

• Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted April 22 2017 - 04:14 PM

You mean they are under the misconception that you can't do it.

#15 Swstock

Swstock

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1,593 posts

Posted April 22 2017 - 08:33 PM

You mean they are under the misconception that you can't do it.

Edit.. Delete

Edited by Swstock, April 22 2017 - 08:35 PM.

#16 Swstock

Swstock

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1,593 posts

Posted April 22 2017 - 08:34 PM

Back in the pre-ban days we'd use an intermediary to do the compliance work out of state. That would probably be a more reasonable option. ADCO for instance did a lot of compliance work like pinning stocks, welding barrels, etc. They have an excellent reputation and had some of the first neutered NY SCARs available. Many would send out a gun bought in auction to them to get work done prior to sending it to an FFL in state. Just a route that may be a workable option for you OP.

But did they engrave the parts "in accordance with 27 CFR 478.92"?

Edited by Swstock, April 22 2017 - 08:36 PM.

#17 bberetta1

bberetta1

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 3,124 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted April 22 2017 - 08:38 PM

Or you could just build one for yourself.

#18 Semperfi

Semperfi

Respected Gunowner

• 205 posts

Posted April 22 2017 - 11:38 PM

Do they still have ny scars?

#19 Nordon

Nordon

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 6,181 posts
  • LocationEast Northport, not far from Brooklyn

Posted April 23 2017 - 07:21 AM

What about Prez Trump to the rescue ? I thought he'd have all of our terrible, unconstitutional NY gun laws reversed by now.

Sorry for using your schtick Steyr Aug man. All said in jest.

Edited by Nordon, April 23 2017 - 07:22 AM.

#20 Rgnbull2271

Rgnbull2271

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationEastern LI

Posted April 23 2017 - 07:32 AM

Thanks for all the help and insight.  Awaiting word if seller will ship in 2 separate packages, if not, its going to Jerrys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users