Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Pistol & moving question

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 fishbust

fishbust

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 2,914 posts
  • LocationEastern Long Island

Posted April 20 2017 - 12:16 PM

Looking to move to Delaware in the future.
Have a suffolk pistol license.
Do we have to start from scratch applying for Delaware permit? What are we supposed to do with the pistols before, during and after the move while waiting for another license in another state? At some point I have to surrender the Suffolk license, making the switch confusing.

Anyone done this before?

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 ProGodProGunProLife

ProGodProGunProLife

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 6,150 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted April 20 2017 - 01:10 PM

You should do your own research, but from what I found online you do not need a permit in DE to own pistols and there is no registration.  You do need a permit to concealed carry.  From what I read they are officially "may issue", but in practice closer to "shall issue" for people with clean records.  

#3 fishbust

fishbust

Gun Guru

• 2,914 posts

Posted April 20 2017 - 01:52 PM

Thanks and I did start my research. I thought the concealed carry was the same as carrying to the range and they don't refer to them as pistols, they call them deadly weapons. Different place, different terminology and rules. It is the transition that seems the problem, cannot take them through the city, probably ship ffl to ffl to hold them. Also cannot be a resident of both states at the same time, hence all these questions.

I will continue my research and also enlist the help of others who relocated from here to there. Thanks again.

#4 ProGodProGunProLife

ProGodProGunProLife

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator

• 6,150 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted April 20 2017 - 02:00 PM

Thanks and I did start my research. I thought the concealed carry was the same as carrying to the range and they don't refer to them as pistols, they call them deadly weapons. Different place, different terminology and rules. It is the transition that seems the problem, cannot take them through the city, probably ship ffl to ffl to hold them. Also cannot be a resident of both states at the same time, hence all these questions.

I will continue my research and also enlist the help of others who relocated from here to there. Thanks again.

Can't you transport them, unloaded and locked up separate from the ammo through the city?

#5 Shotgun682

Shotgun682

LIF Official Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 1,951 posts

Posted April 20 2017 - 02:03 PM

Wrong

Drive to Delaware with your pistols. Do not stop in NYC or NJ.

Get to Delaware and tell Suffolk to !@@ off you moved
  • CJ, fishbust, ProGodProGunProLife and 1 other like this

#6 fishbust

fishbust

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 2,914 posts

Posted April 20 2017 - 02:06 PM

I think it depends if I am a resident of Delaware at that time and having to surrender my license here or still ny suffolk resident. I cannot have the guns here at all if I have to surrender the license before the final "physical" move. The timing will be something for me to figure out when the time comes. I know I won't be reinventing the wheel here, many others have relocated to other states.

#7 fishbust

fishbust

Gun Guru

• 2,914 posts

Posted April 20 2017 - 02:09 PM

Wrong

Drive to Delaware with your pistols. Do not stop in NYC or NJ.

Get to Delaware and tell Suffolk to !@@ off you moved

That sounds great to me. Lol

#8 Shotgun682

Shotgun682

LIF Official Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 1,951 posts

Posted April 20 2017 - 02:11 PM

You surrender your license by mail after you move
  • TJ Ironhorse, Tom Mac, ProGodProGunProLife and 1 other like this

#9 fishbust

fishbust

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 2,914 posts

Posted April 20 2017 - 02:20 PM

You surrender your license by mail after you move

Oh.
This is my 2nd license here. I surrendered it years ago because of ringing in my ears, loud, and they made a big deal over the surrender, in person and they wanted a written letter explaining why, 2 of them interviewed me, etc.
Then a few years ago I got a new one since my hearing doesn't bother me as much anymore. But figured the same big deal when I surrender it again.
By mail sounds better, easier done deal.

#10 fishbust

fishbust

Gun Guru

• 2,914 posts

Posted April 20 2017 - 02:25 PM

But this is awesome! Delaware, the first state should be the opposite of new york!

Fort Miles (many buildings still stand in memory) at Cape Henlopen is a perfect example of why were are all free!

#11 mason852

mason852

Still a David Crockett kid

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,758 posts
  • Locationridge

Posted April 20 2017 - 04:21 PM

I would have a talk with your local LEO in charge (in Delaware) and get his input

#12 NRATC53

NRATC53

Soon to be Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 21,027 posts

Posted April 20 2017 - 04:30 PM

I would have a talk with your local LEO in charge (in Delaware) and get his input

Why? Just follow the instructions if you want to carry, nothing needed to simply possess

http://courts.delawa...d.aspx?ID=33278

#13 NRATC53

NRATC53

Soon to be Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 21,027 posts

Posted April 20 2017 - 04:32 PM

Move to Delaware, take guns with you, unloaded locked container ammo separate. keep your Suffolk license if you wish, if not send it back and say moved out of state

#14 NRATC53

NRATC53

Soon to be Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 21,027 posts

Posted April 20 2017 - 04:33 PM

Delaware gun laws also do not require any kind of permit for the possession of shotguns, rifles, or handguns. Individuals that are barred from possessing firearms are those that have a felony conviction. This is also extended to include misdemeanor offenses of a violent nature.

#15 NRATC53

NRATC53

Soon to be Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 21,027 posts

Posted April 20 2017 - 04:40 PM

Please, the LAST folks you usually ask are the local LE

• Trailblazer, Shotgun682, gcloss and 1 other like this

#16 Lou G

Lou G

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 600 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted April 20 2017 - 05:56 PM

Moved to AZ. many years ago. When I settled in I sent my Suffolk license back and never heard from them. Just move and if they bitch tell to complain to  the Delaware LE. You will be in a state where they have no jurisdiction. And their administrative rules don't apply.

Edited by Lou G, April 20 2017 - 06:01 PM.

• NRATC53 and Trailblazer like this

#17 mason852

mason852

Still a David Crockett kid

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,758 posts
  • Locationridge

Posted April 20 2017 - 06:16 PM

Please, the LAST folks you usually ask are the local LE

O.K but you will just be the New Yawker who moved into his baliwick

And it may surprise some too find many Leos support the 2nd

#18 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator

• 10,156 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted April 20 2017 - 06:30 PM

My brother inlaw move to Virginia cause the Gun laws are better then Maryland and Delaware.  Pack them in your car drive them to the freer state change your drivers license and mail back your PL to PLB with a note and a postcard.

Pack your guns down in one trip(last one and ammo the trip before so no chance of them finding ammo with your guns.

It messed up to have to say this but keep this part quite. I had a good friend get jammed up because his leftwing asshole neighbor found out he moved his guns before he move and the PLB call him and ordered him to present his guns for inspection. His father was a Suffolk Sheriff and found out who drop the dime.

This was about 10 years ago

#19 NRATC53

NRATC53

Soon to be Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 21,027 posts

Posted April 20 2017 - 09:52 PM

O.K but you will just be the New Yawker who moved into his baliwick

And it may surprise some too find many Leos support the 2nd

I know, but better to be informed first. I've been around the country and the world with firearms of all types

#20 CJ

CJ

SUPER STAR

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 5,456 posts
  • LocationTampa/Nassau

Posted April 20 2017 - 10:09 PM

When I moved to FL, I packed up my guns and left. After a few weeks, I called Nassau and told them I left.

Easy peasy

• NRATC53, Trailblazer and hawkeye like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users