Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Ruger SR22, looking for feedback

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Camaro45th

Camaro45th

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 554 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted April 20 2017 - 11:30 AM

I'm thinking of picking up this pistol, does anyone have one, if so can anyone give their opinion. Thank you

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 7,486 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted April 20 2017 - 11:41 AM

I'm thinking of picking up this pistol, does anyone have one, if so can anyone give their opinion. Thank you

If you have a 1911 model. Kimber makes a nice conversion in .22 LR that is fun to shoot.

#3 Camaro45th

Camaro45th

Gun Guru

• 554 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted April 20 2017 - 11:42 AM

Can kimbers conversion work on a colt?

#4 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,486 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted April 20 2017 - 11:43 AM

Yes, used it on my Colt.

#5 TJ Ironhorse

TJ Ironhorse

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1,643 posts

Posted April 20 2017 - 12:21 PM

I own an SR 22 Decent little 22 for the money. I like the fact it comes with interchangeable backstraps. Accommodates different hand sizes. I replaced the factory plastic guide rod with a stainless one. No a requirement, but I prefer it. I'm not thrilled with, what I consider a weak magazine release. Kind of spongy.
Pistol has digested all types of 22 bulk ammo without issues.
I also own a S&W M&&P 22. I prefer the feel of that pistol over the Ruger. Also a pistol that has not given me any issues. I suggest looking at both before buying.
  • boosti likes this

#6 LarryD23

LarryD23

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • 464 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted April 20 2017 - 12:49 PM

Love my Beretta 9M-22.

#7 Camaro45th

Camaro45th

Gun Guru

• 554 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted April 20 2017 - 01:26 PM

Thank you for the feedback. Not sure what to do yet haven't made final decision. I also see the PPQ in 22 as well so maybe I'll go look at that too

#8 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,486 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted April 20 2017 - 02:09 PM

Thank you for the feedback. Not sure what to do yet haven't made final decision. I also see the PPQ in 22 as well so maybe I'll go look at that too

I bought the Kimber because it was economical and still have that crisp 1911 single action trigger. The Ruger is double action. The trigger was a very heavy pull.

#9 rocknat

rocknat

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 4,204 posts

Posted April 20 2017 - 05:10 PM

Here is a thread on it from 2013

http://www.longislan...22#entry1072908

#10 Camaro45th

Camaro45th

Gun Guru

• 554 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted April 20 2017 - 06:13 PM

Here is a thread on it from 2013

http://www.longislan...22#entry1072908

Thank you I read it, seems to be pretty well liked. A few issues here and there I see.

#11 Robant75

Robant75

Respected Gunowner

• Donated Member
  • 197 posts

Posted April 20 2017 - 07:36 PM

I own it and love it. Its small, light and a blast to shoot. I do not, however, have anything to compare it to because the ruger is my only .22lr pistol. I would look into this and the smith but i haven't heard great things about the Walther, actually not even sure if Walther makes it but i can be wrong. Good luck!

#12 Robant75

Robant75

Respected Gunowner

• Donated Member
  • 197 posts

Posted April 20 2017 - 07:42 PM

pretty sure Im wrong about the ppq. I must be confusing it with something else.

#13 Joey232

Joey232

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 83 posts

Posted April 20 2017 - 09:42 PM

I have a Ruger SR22 and I love it. It's just a fun gun to shoot. Very accurate considering the short barrel. Other people that have tried mine have also liked it. 

#14 TJ Ironhorse

TJ Ironhorse

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 1,643 posts

Posted April 20 2017 - 11:05 PM

I believe the Walther has a large amount of negative reviews. I would look into that before considering it.

#15 Camaro45th

Camaro45th

Gun Guru

• 554 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted April 21 2017 - 04:42 AM

So I'm researching the Ruger a little more, I see they offer it in a blued barrel or a stainless barrel. I'm sure stainless is probably better, but what are your thoughts?

#16 MasonEtAl

MasonEtAl

Gun Guru

• 2,651 posts

Posted April 21 2017 - 07:51 AM

pretty sure Im wrong about the ppq. I must be confusing it with something else.

Walther makes a PPQ 22 and P22.  They are different guns.  The PPQ 22, is part the excellent PPQ lineup. It has been well received and is the subject of positive review.  The P22 preceded the PPQ 22 and is a completely different design. I understand the P22 is a poor performer. Walther also sells the PPK/s in 22 which is altogether different.

#17 Vycor

Vycor

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 1,851 posts

Posted April 21 2017 - 10:24 AM

I have one... never use it... I picked up the 22/45 Lite so I shoot that one now over the SR22. SR22 is a nice little pistol, fun to shoot and all. I picked it up because it wasn't that much $$ and it was my first .22 pistol but yeah... never shoo it these days.

#18 Camaro45th

Camaro45th

Gun Guru

• 554 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted April 21 2017 - 11:07 AM

I have one... never use it... I picked up the 22/45 Lite so I shoot that one now over the SR22. SR22 is a nice little pistol, fun to shoot and all. I picked it up because it wasn't that much $$ and it was my first .22 pistol but yeah... never shoo it these days.

Looking to part with it?

#19 Vycor

Vycor

Gun Guru

• 1,851 posts

Posted April 21 2017 - 12:24 PM

Ehhh although I never ever shoot the dang thing, I don't sell my firearms off. I buy them as investments. An SR22 isn't worth anymore then I paid for it now but in 50-100 years (well after I'm gone, my kids) it may be worth something.

#20 Landlubber

Landlubber

Respected Gunowner

• 126 posts
  • LocationNassau NY

Posted April 21 2017 - 03:27 PM

I have one but haven't shot it yet. I'm about 10 minutes from Mitchel. Could probably arrange to let you try it. I have a lot of stuff I haven't shot, about time for a range trip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users