Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

New to the scene. Aka noob

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kc2sgi

kc2sgi

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted April 14 2017 - 09:48 PM

Looking to build a .308 ar and I see that if I buy a lower online it has to be shipped to a ffl. No prob. But I have never done 'tis and was woundering how to go about it. For instance do I purchase the lower first Than go to a ffl. Or is the other way around. Go to the ffl first get info needed and pay fee than buy the lower ? and sorry if I posted in the wrong group like the title says noob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 9,967 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted April 14 2017 - 10:10 PM

Where you located. And where are you looking to buy from. A lot of online places already deal with FFLs on the island.

What I've done is call the DEL you want to receive the firearm to give them a heads up and get his info. Them make sure the place you want to buy from will ship to N.Y. and your FFL (some places will not ship to Nassau County FFL) 

Once you order it call the your FUL and let him know it's on the way. 

Your FFL will most likely let you know when the firearm is in. Them you go and pick it up.

#3 3000fps

3000fps

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 138 posts
  • LocationCommie york

Posted April 14 2017 - 10:16 PM

The lower is the only part of the AR that needs a background check. They lower IS the gun!! Every other part you need will ship right to your door. Find a ffl you like and see if they will accept the lower and transfer it too u or maybe they'll have some in stock already. DSI probably has some lowers in stock if not they will soon. Give them a call, they will also hold your hand through the whole process and have every part youll need as well... Its basically an ar-15 store Do yourself a favor, build out your lower however u like but buy a complete upper with a bcg from a reputable company. The upper is the meat and potatoes. You do not want to improperly install a gas tube or something and blow your hand or face off with plasma gas from it malfunctioning!

#4 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• 19,434 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted April 15 2017 - 05:53 AM

Hello

#5 LarryD23

LarryD23

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • 356 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted April 15 2017 - 07:20 AM

If you are "new to the scene" it might be advantageous to develop a relationship with your local gun store. They can be a valuable resource.

Recently I built a lower receiver and started with a Spike's Tactical stripped lower that I purchased from South Shore Sportsman. They didn't have the lower I wanted in stock and were happy to order it for me. It was actually back ordered on the Spike's website but they were able to get one in a couple of days.

I just checked Slickguns for the latest pricing on my stripped lower. Grab A Gun (which I've learned, from this forum, has great pricing) had the best price at $111.49 (with shipping & no tax). If you add the FFL fee to that, you would be paying more than I paid SSS for my stripped lower ($119.47 with tax & no shipping).

Everything else for my lower I purchased online, with the exception of the mag lock I purchased from Jerry's. In some cases cost was the decider. In other cases it was availability, because I wasn't ordering standard parts (like my SI enhanced bolt catch, etc.).

I have gotten a lot of good advice and support from my local gun shop and I make an effort to do business with them as often as possible. Because of all of the regulatory BS involving firearms, online isn't always the best way to go.

BTW... have fun building your .308

#6 kc2sgi

kc2sgi

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted April 15 2017 - 01:45 PM

Thanks for all the info guys

#7 3000fps

3000fps

Respected Gunowner

• 138 posts
  • LocationCommie york

Posted April 15 2017 - 09:48 PM

Thanks for all the info guys

Your welcome.. thats what the forum is for!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users