Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Target shooting on public land?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cprstn54

cprstn54

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationCenterport, NY

Posted April 13 2017 - 03:50 PM

I see that folks expect the DEC rules on bowhunting distances apply to archery practice on private land.

Is practice on public lands limited to hunting season and permitees?

Or can I set up  bag target against the bluff at Caumsett and fire away? If not, why not?

Similarly, I can practice at the Cedar Creek County Park range all year but can I also practice in the  nearby wetlands? If not, why not?

I guess I am asking, Where are the rules governing archery on public lands?

Ken C

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member + Classifieds
  • 7,246 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted April 13 2017 - 07:51 PM

I see that folks expect the DEC rules on bowhunting distances apply to archery practice on private land.

Is practice on public lands limited to hunting season and permitees?

Or can I set up  bag target against the bluff at Caumsett and fire away? If not, why not?

Similarly, I can practice at the Cedar Creek County Park range all year but can I also practice in the  nearby wetlands? If not, why not?

I guess I am asking, Where are the rules governing archery on public lands?

Ken C

Cedar Creek Park has a designated area for archery. Most towns and villages have no discharge laws. Best to use an archery range for practice. I don't know of any other public lands that allow you to practice archery.

#3 cprstn54

cprstn54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationCenterport, NY

Posted April 14 2017 - 07:27 AM

I looked it up for Huntington and that appears correct.

Huntington prohibits using a "firearm" anywhere in the Town, with listed exceptions.

However, the good burghers - always short on expertise - define "firearm" as follows: "Includes a weapon which acts by the force of gunpowder or from which a shot is discharged by the force of an explosion, as well as an air rifle, an air gun and a longbow."

That would exclude compound bows, recurve bows and crossbows.

Ken C

• Steyr AUG man likes this

#4 cprstn54

cprstn54

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationCenterport, NY

Posted April 15 2017 - 06:52 AM

Also, the ordinance (Chapter 109) does *not* have an exception for "backyard archery" no matter how big your property is -- except during a short deer season and for permittees.

Lastly, there does not appear to be an exception for shotgun and waterfowl, which is odd.

Seems to me Huntington, which has no public ranges and few (if any) private ones, makes it very inconvenient to hone your 2d Amendment skills. Maybe infringes on your Constitutional rights. If only we had some sportsmen judges in the Eastern District . . .

Ken C

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users