Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

2017 Spring Turkey

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 7,476 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted April 13 2017 - 06:53 AM

Starting to hear the gobbles on my property early in the morning. The roost is not far my house.
Opening day is May 1st, good time to scout areas for deer hunting and prepare a few spots for trail cameras.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2016051095074012.jpg

• mak00 likes this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• Topic Starter
  • LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 10,153 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted April 13 2017 - 09:11 AM

You bag that sucker or did the tree take him out.

I really thing I like turkey hunting better then deer hunting.then I also offered to give up big game if my wife would let me get two Bird dogs.

• Yaphank Kid likes this

#3 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,476 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted April 13 2017 - 09:23 AM

You bag that sucker or did the tree take him out.

I really thing I like turkey hunting better then deer hunting.then I also offered to give up big game if my wife would let me get two Bird dogs.

Never compromise when it comes to hunting or guns!

#4 minuteman1970

minuteman1970

Sharp Shooter!

• 434 posts

Posted April 13 2017 - 10:00 AM

Nice!

When do you have to start worrying about ticks in the woods out east?

#5 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator

• 10,153 posts

Posted April 13 2017 - 10:12 AM

Nice!

When do you have to start worrying about ticks in the woods out east?

The second you step out of your car. I've had tick out east all time of the year and since you most likely sitting on the ground your right where they want you so they can crawl on you.

• Trailblazer likes this

#6 leftjammer

leftjammer

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 2,391 posts
  • LocationNew Hyde Park

Posted April 13 2017 - 08:22 PM

Starting to hear the gobbles on my property early in the morning. The roost is not far my house.
Opening day is May 1st, good time to scout areas for deer hunting and prepare a few spots for trail cameras.

This is good news. I usually only hunt em the first week or two and then move on to catching bass, which I'm much more successful with. LOL

#7 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,476 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted April 14 2017 - 07:02 AM

This is good news. I usually only hunt em the first week or two and then move on to catching bass, which I'm much more successful with. LOL

Was watching a Tom strutting in the field yesterday. The season in my opinion should start in Mid April. Most hunters give up once all the grass is over a foot high in the fields. It becomes difficult to hunt with all the bugs and overgrowth that is common in May.

#8 leftjammer

leftjammer

Gun Guru

• 2,391 posts
  • LocationNew Hyde Park

Posted April 15 2017 - 05:58 AM

Was watching a Tom strutting in the field yesterday. The season in my opinion should start in Mid April. Most hunters give up once all the grass is over a foot high in the fields. It becomes difficult to hunt with all the bugs and overgrowth that is common in May.

EXACTLY!!!

#9 leftjammer

leftjammer

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 2,391 posts
  • LocationNew Hyde Park

Posted May 01 2017 - 08:44 PM

Heading up Thurs. - going old school - back to the campground -

basically looks like rain for the 4 days I'll be there.

Gonna have to test my camping skills that I havent used in a while - tarps galore....LOL

#10 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,476 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted May 01 2017 - 09:18 PM

I didn't set my alarm and got up late. I didn't hear any shots today. I did see hunters driving with ATVs going down my road this afternoon. The Weather was nice this morning. It's raining now. I guess it's going to be very wet tomorrow.

#11 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• Topic Starter
  • LIF Site Moderator

• 10,153 posts

Posted May 01 2017 - 10:48 PM

Well bag a bird im going to try any get outon the island this week. 

#12 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,476 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted May 04 2017 - 09:55 AM

It was chilly this morning, 28 degrees not one response to my call. It's about 10:30 now and moving to another spot. I hate the spring bugs!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20170504_105150496.jpg

#13 leftjammer

leftjammer

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 2,391 posts
  • LocationNew Hyde Park

Posted May 13 2017 - 08:40 AM

Gave it a go last weekend. Tough hunting - Tougher weather.

Got to camp around 10 in the am on Thurs. We did some scouting and setup our blind for the next morning. Back to camp, we setup, gathered some wood and had lunch. Wasn't long after that the first drizzle starting coming down. We made a nice fire had a few cocktails as evening set in and hit the bunks early.

Rained or shall I say POURED all night and into the am, the walk to the blind was like walking thru a car wash - Anyway we sat it out till 9 - no action and LOTS AND LOTS of rain.  Well that was a washout for the day. 

Next up was a trip into town for some supplies, and then back to camp to dodge the occasional  shower as it seemed to start to let up. But it really didn't.

After lunch it was more scouting (that means driving around..LOL) we did see a few birds in a particular area multiple times, so that was going to be our spot for the next morning.

Back at camp it was the same old - clears up for 10-15 minutes, the rains some more. Hit the bunks early again, and again rain all night.

The next morning looked promising. The rain had let up -skies were starting to clear - blind was setup and we were in a good area.

Daybreak brought a few deer within 30 yards. A good sign...... well 3 hrs later no hint of any birds -no sighting, no sounds.at 

Made a call that we should break down camp and get outta there and relax home on Sunday. 

Although it was sunny and nice as we packed it up Im glad we did. Once we put the last item in the truck the rain started coming down AGAIN!!  Last we heard it was going to rain on that Sunday so packing it up was the right thing to do

#14 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,476 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted May 13 2017 - 02:21 PM

I was busy this week no time to hunt. Around 11am on Thursday I was waking to my truck carrying some clothes and shoes. A black unmarked Charger slowed down and turned around as I was putting my things inside my vehicle. The unmarked pulled in my driveway. It was a young guy from the DEC ENCON. He asked if I shot a turkey and I said no. He said that I was wearing a camo jacket and believed that I was hunting turkey. He looked in my pick up for a turkey and I said to him that I own this property and that I have an appointment to get to. He again asked me again if I hunted turkey because he got a call about someone shooting a turkey. I said no again, I was wearing a blue polo shirt and grey pants with a white colored watch. My camo jacket was the reason he initially stopped to talk to me and get him a reason to question me more. I let him know that I wasn't hunting and have not seen a turkey or heard a gunshot. His attitude started to change once I let him know that I dealt with hunting complaints and would get Encon calling on the radio that they are responding. The camo jacket wasn't a good enough reason to stop. If you don't have a firearm with you the Game Warden has no business to stop you. I should request a foil for a field report.

#15 leftjammer

leftjammer

Gun Guru

• 2,391 posts
  • LocationNew Hyde Park

Posted May 13 2017 - 03:51 PM

sometimes I wonder what the motivation for these guys is to act like that.

I had two DEC guys approach me as I was ready to move to another spot a couple of years back after my dog and I had just successfully managed to bag a grouse. The usual...license, gun check, bag limit the whole bit..

They asked how many birds I had bagged and If I told them once I told them at least 4 other times. "ONE!!"... they just kept asking if I bagged anything else, If I had slugs in my pocket.

At one point I had to get defensive...

I said guys: " You think I'm just some guy that showed up with a Brittany and started shooting up the woods. You know how difficult it is to bag a grouse on the wing?? I 've been hunting this area for 20+yrs,, I dont understand what you are trying to do here".  It wasnt until then they started to "preach" to me how to clean the bird, how to cook it...etc etc".  

Not for nothing but, I dont want to be your friend. do what you need to do and let me get on with my day..

They left down the road in the same direction I was going to be going. After 10 minute they returned as I was packing to dog to tell me there were a few pheasant down the road. So down the road I went with them not to far behind.. I seriously these those two jackasses thought I was gonna shoot them pheasants right on the road.

Probably much their dismay I parked the car, gave the birds time to get into cover and then got out with the dog and loaded my gun and off I went.

#16 kouzman

kouzman

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 144 posts
  • Locationnew york

Posted May 15 2017 - 08:19 PM

My two birds on opening day. Upstate NY.

20170501_071904_zpsyggkaed8.jpg

And the beards next to 3 3" shells for comparison.

20170501_101630_zpszvbj4m3b.jpg
  • boosti likes this

#17 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,476 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted May 15 2017 - 09:04 PM

My two birds on opening day. Upstate NY.20170501_071904_zpsyggkaed8.jpg
And the beards next to 3 3" shells for comparison.20170501_101630_zpszvbj4m3b.jpg

Congratulations, Two bird limit one per day.

#18 Yaphank Kid

Yaphank Kid

Older Budweiser

• Donated Member
  • 2,181 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted May 15 2017 - 09:09 PM

DEC drinks a special kind of Kool aid.  Knowing they have the most jurisdiction in the state goes to their head.

#19 kouzman

kouzman

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 144 posts
  • Locationnew york

Posted May 16 2017 - 05:59 AM

Congratulations, Two bird limit one per day.

Correct. The left one i got the right one my cousin. The funny part is that we got them literally 10 mins apart.

We saw 4 of them in a span of 2 hours. The right one was extremely fisty. He was circling around the decoy and puffing his chest before he went down. I wish i had a camera on me to shoot a video.

#20 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,476 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted May 16 2017 - 06:11 AM

DEC drinks a special kind of Kool aid.  Knowing they have the most jurisdiction in the state goes to their head.

They still can't enter a home without consent and need exigent circumstances like a Police Officer entering a home without a warrant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users