Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Need advise from Electrician

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 samwag

samwag

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 288 posts
  • Locationeast northport

Posted April 23 2017 - 10:25 AM

I disagree if the line(feed) were in the box with the light, then all he'd have coming into the box in the pic is a single 3-wire.

What he needs to do is see if the black (hot) lines that are wire nutted togerther switch on and off with the switches, if they do then they are the load side and he's short one conductor, if they don't then he can tie his receptacle hot to that, and the receptacle neutral to the white conductor of the same wire whose hot remains hot when disconnected from the other.?

i think i am misreading this you are not suggesting to tie neutral from receptacle to a hot wire ?

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 Semperfi

Semperfi

Respected Gunowner

• 141 posts

Posted April 23 2017 - 10:56 AM

I disagree if the line(feed) were in the box with the light, then all he'd have coming into the box in the pic is a single 3-wire.

What he needs to do is see if the black (hot) lines that are wire nutted togerther switch on and off with the switches, if they do then they are the load side and he's short one conductor, if they don't then he can tie his receptacle hot to that, and the receptacle neutral to the white conductor of the same wire whose hot remains hot when disconnected from the other.

I think we're going backwards here. The box has no neutral it's tied in at the light. You need the neutral for the outlet to work...
  • samwag likes this

#23 LI Ammo

LI Ammo

Gun Guru

• Forum Sponsor
  • Others: Established Member, Club LIF Member

• 871 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted April 23 2017 - 03:47 PM

What he needs to do is see if the black (hot) lines that are wire nutted togerther switch on and off with the switches, if they do then they are the load side and he's short one conductor, if they don't then he can tie his receptacle hot to that, and the receptacle neutral to the white conductor of the same wire whose hot remains hot when disconnected from the other.

Nope. Not to beat a dead horse, but if there isn't a neutral, it's not capable of being a circuit to attach a receptacle to. Period.

Without a neutral, it's called a switch leg. A switch leg can operate a light or fan, but it is not a complete circuit and cannot have an outlet attached.

There isn't really any other answer. A receptacle require a neutral. I don't know much about anything, but this I'm sure of. (27 years of selling switches and receptacles)

#24 Countrylife307

Countrylife307

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 54 posts
  • LocationEast Meadow NY

Posted April 23 2017 - 08:27 PM

I Hate 3 ways they can get tricky

#25 frank57

frank57

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationMaryland Florida

Posted April 23 2017 - 08:50 PM

On three ways the dark screw on the switch is common with the other 2 screws which is single pole double throw.For three ways to work the feed has to go to 1 dark screw and the load light what ever on the other dark screw on the other switch.the other wires which are called travelers it doesn't matter

Edited by frank57, April 23 2017 - 08:53 PM.

• Landlubber likes this

#26 Camaro45th

Camaro45th

Sharp Shooter!

• 355 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted April 24 2017 - 04:39 AM

I Hate 3 ways they can get tricky

Especially when your not paying any attention to your wife
  • samwag, frank57, fenucho and 1 other like this

#27 Landlubber

Landlubber

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationNassau NY

Posted April 24 2017 - 05:15 AM

On three ways the dark screw on the switch is common with the other 2 screws which is single pole double throw.For three ways to work the feed has to go to 1 dark screw and the load light what ever on the other dark screw on the other switch.the other wires which are called travelers it doesn't matter

Correct "it doesn't matter" as far as tha circuit, if you want the light to be off when both switches are toggled down, and what you've got is a circuit where the light is off with one up/ one down, then switch the travellers (sometimes called runners) at one switch.

#28 Semperfi

Semperfi

Respected Gunowner

• 141 posts

Posted April 24 2017 - 09:08 AM

Especially when your not paying any attention to your wife

Ahhaahhahha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users