Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Long Range Rifle Build (Pics)

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Dhob

Dhob

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 85 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted April 01 2017 - 05:33 PM

I did a complete build thread with many pics as I was doing it on a Savage Forum. It really came along exactly as I wanted. Just as I had pictured beforehand. Started with a Savage model 10 Accutrigger. Stripped to bare action and replaced the stock barrel with a Shilen 26" varmint contour in 260 Remington. Wrapped it in an MDT TAC21 chassis. The stock is a Firebird Precision Tac-12 bench rest, in billet aluminum. Scope is an SWFA SS 16x42 held by an American Defense Recon-1 scope mount.

Fun build, and I love everything about this rifle! Looking into getting it on one of the 1000yd ranges in west Pa. Or might just have to wait until I visit my friend where I used to live in Tucson Az. That's when my back yard was basically a LONG range. Miss those days!

Anyway, here it is. Let me know what you think. When i finished this, every gun I own, I BUILT!

image_zpsp8i8e0e8.jpg

image_zps7l4yxxta.jpeg
  • Mad Russian, Nick S., whitefoot and 1 other like this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 TheKnot

TheKnot

Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 26 posts
  • Locationlong island

Posted April 01 2017 - 10:08 PM

That is one nice build 

#3 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 9,951 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted April 01 2017 - 10:20 PM

Look sweet. 260 Remington that seem to be becomeing a popular round lately. Seen a few rifle chamber in it.

Best of luck with it.

#4 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 10,468 posts

Posted April 02 2017 - 12:12 AM

Very nice!

#5 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• 19,417 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted April 02 2017 - 05:17 AM

Nice

#6 CITYREPO61

CITYREPO61

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 409 posts

Posted April 02 2017 - 10:01 AM

I have the same scope and absolutely love it.
It was the scope that showed me you get what you pay for in optics.
Nice build

#7 Dhob

Dhob

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 85 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted April 02 2017 - 02:32 PM

I have the same scope and absolutely love it.
It was the scope that showed me you get what you pay for in optics.
Nice build

Considering it's features, clarity and brightness, let alone toughness, you would be hard pressed to find a better dollar for dollar option, even up to $500. For $300 it's difficult to do better. I am looking at the Athlon scopes right now, the Midas BTR 4.5-27x50. It MAY be a better option dollar for dollar at just under $600. But won't know until I take the plunge. Next time I have $600 I don't need, LOL!

#8 anythinggood

anythinggood

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1,501 posts

Posted April 02 2017 - 09:45 PM

If your looking into long range precision shooting.  Talk to Pual at campsite he runs a training company along with this guy Jackson called Ghost took there 101 class last summer and was well worth the money for two days. 

#9 anythinggood

anythinggood

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1,501 posts

Posted April 02 2017 - 09:49 PM

That range in west PA is probably mifflin sportsman club made a trip out there last month great club if you have any questions pm me.

Attached Files

#10 anythinggood

anythinggood

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1,501 posts

Posted April 02 2017 - 10:05 PM

That Midas scope your talking about stay away from your better buying a fixed power swfa scope for 300 the build quality is far superior and meet us mill specs there also have a us navy contract and have used the 10x version on 50bmg many time works just fine for that application.  A variable power scope that goes from 4.5-27x should be in the $2000 plus price not sub $600 thats not coming from a scope stub I love me a deal.  I would look into I.O.R Valdada U.S optics SmitBender NightForce or higher end Vortex if your looking at ultra long range scopes for 1760 yard Plus shooting.  My dad uses a U.S optics 10x first focal mil mil scope and shoots out to 1000 plus yards with a 20inch 308 and has no problem.  It's all about optical clarity and tracking at the end of the day not how much magnification you r running.  I was a Valdada first focal 3.5-18x and use it between 12x-16x and have no desire for more unless pushing 338lapua 7mm-300wm to the limits.

#11 anythinggood

anythinggood

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1,501 posts

Posted April 02 2017 - 10:07 PM

if your going cheap go SWFA or Vortex PST in first focal matching MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA

#12 set2374

set2374

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • 451 posts
  • LocationEast Rockaway

Posted April 03 2017 - 10:42 AM

if your going cheap go SWFA or Vortex PST in first focal matching MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA

I guess cheap is relative.   $800 for a vortex pst high variable power scope isn't really "cheap".   

#13 Dhob

Dhob

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 85 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted April 04 2017 - 01:01 PM

I agree with you. $800 us A LOT of money to me. But in the optics world, $800 is nothing! There are many professionals who say that anything under $1000 is all the same! To a point, they are correct. What sets truly top end scopes apart is the use of ED glass. No, not "HD"! HD, or "High Definition", is a marketing ploy. ED stands for Extra Low Dispersion, and is the reason for top dollar scopes. All scopes that do not use ED glass rely on glass coatings for better light transmission & clarity. Because of this, two scopes using standard glass, one costing $500 & the other $1000, are actually going to be very similar in clarity and light transmission. I can not afford a scope with ED glass, but I also do not agree that a clear 10x is all you need to engage targets at a "Kajillian" yards away. My eye(because I only have one) is not all that good. I can engage targets further with a 20x than a 10x, even if the 20x is not as clear. Again, I'm not talking about ED glass, as it's out of my price range. The other thing is, I don't have to be able to read the brand logo on a target's shirt, to be able to hit the shape! My top pic in a scope in my price range(well, almost) is actually the SWFA 5-20x50 HD. It's a pretty clear scope, with the features and reticle I want. Sure, a $3000 scope sure is nice to look through. But it's not going to give you magic skills, and I would just NEVER spend that much on a scope!

#14 Vycor

Vycor

Gun Guru

• 1,845 posts

Posted April 04 2017 - 01:33 PM

$800 isn't that bad for a scope. I think I paid $650 for my Nikon . No bipod though?

#15 set2374

set2374

Sharp Shooter!

• 451 posts
  • LocationEast Rockaway

Posted April 04 2017 - 01:57 PM

I agree with you. $800 us A LOT of money to me. But in the optics world, $800 is nothing! There are many professionals who say that anything under $1000 is all the same! To a point, they are correct. What sets truly top end scopes apart is the use of ED glass. No, not "HD"! HD, or "High Definition", is a marketing ploy. ED stands for Extra Low Dispersion, and is the reason for top dollar scopes. All scopes that do not use ED glass rely on glass coatings for better light transmission & clarity. Because of this, two scopes using standard glass, one costing $500 & the other $1000, are actually going to be very similar in clarity and light transmission. I can not afford a scope with ED glass, but I also do not agree that a clear 10x is all you need to engage targets at a "Kajillian" yards away. My eye(because I only have one) is not all that good. I can engage targets further with a 20x than a 10x, even if the 20x is not as clear. Again, I'm not talking about ED glass, as it's out of my price range. The other thing is, I don't have to be able to read the brand logo on a target's shirt, to be able to hit the shape! My top pic in a scope in my price range(well, almost) is actually the SWFA 5-20x50 HD. It's a pretty clear scope, with the features and reticle I want. Sure, a $3000 scope sure is nice to look through. But it's not going to give you magic skills, and I would just NEVER spend that much on a scope!

If I were a marine corp sniper being sent to some sh!thole in Afghanistan to provide overwatch or to take out some Taliban leaders, money should be no object since that glass is life and death.   For most of us, however, we stuck shooting on long island most of the time where the longest we can shoot is 200 or maybe 300 yards if we're lucky.   If you're a hunter, you'll probably do well with a good quality 3-9x40 scope (and you can find plenty of good ones under $300), since you are not going to get many clean shots at whitetail in upstate NY that are over 75 yards anyway.  With those unfortunately limitations, is there a need for high end, high mag glass???   Don't get me wrong, if a guy has the money to burn, go for it! 

#16 Vycor

Vycor

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 1,845 posts

Posted April 04 2017 - 03:15 PM

I looked up mine, $360 It's an ole Buckmaster 3-18 x40 - works fine for our ranges here on LI.

But man would I love a rifle like the OP has for something really far away. I love sniping, just hitting that target so far away is an awesome feeling.

#17 Dhob

Dhob

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 85 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted April 04 2017 - 03:39 PM

I looked up mine, $360 It's an ole Buckmaster 3-18 x40 - works fine for our ranges here on LI.

But man would I love a rifle like the OP has for something really far away. I love sniping, just hitting that target so far away is an awesome feeling.

Vycor, you would be surprised at the cost of this rifle. I am an incredibly wary, & frugal shopper. I also have deliberate patience. Because I build my own firearms, I can take my time acquiring the parts needed. It cost me approx. $1400 for everything. Again, that's A LOT of money to me. But when saved for, and parts ordered over a period of time, it's much easier to absorb.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users