Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Looking for a gunsmith in Nassau or Suffolk

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chezgianni

chezgianni

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationNorth Shore Nassau County

Posted March 29 2017 - 10:24 AM

I am looking for a gunsmith, tried Bob at County Gunsmith and phone is disconnected.  Also tried T&T Tactical and found out they are out of business.  No need to elaborate.

I was given an SKB O/U model 600 with a rotted pad and fixed chokes.  I would like to convert it to a sporting clay shotgun by threading it for choke tubes (Win/Browning/Benelli) type as I have many chokes.  Plus cutting the stock shorter and a new pad.

I brought it to Campsite but they called me to pick it up as their indipendent gunsmith doesn't want or can't do the job.  Kind of do not understand why.

Thanks in advance for any directions.

Regards,

John M.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Camaro45th

Camaro45th

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 539 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted March 29 2017 - 11:02 AM

I am looking for a gunsmith, tried Bob at County Gunsmith and phone is disconnected. Also tried T&T Tactical and found out they are out of business. No need to elaborate.
I was given an SKB O/U model 600 with a rotted pad and fixed chokes. I would like to convert it to a sporting clay shotgun by threading it for choke tubes (Win/Browning/Benelli) type as I have many chokes. Plus cutting the stock shorter and a new pad.
I brought it to Campsite but they called me to pick it up as their indipendent gunsmith doesn't want or can't do the job. Kind of do not understand why.
Thanks in advance for any directions.
Regards,
John M.

TNT is out in seaford now. The NHP location closed a few years ago to me knowledge.
  • chezgianni likes this

#3 Blade21

Blade21

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1,766 posts

Posted March 29 2017 - 11:19 AM

I have someone in PA but you'll have to drive out there.

• TJ Ironhorse and chezgianni like this

#4 Fotheringill

Fotheringill

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 618 posts

Posted March 29 2017 - 01:01 PM

As the French would say- Bon chance.

I have no idea how many firearms in need of attention are in Nassau and Suffolk, but I imagine if there were/are/will be enough, we would have at least a few competent gunsmiths.

• chezgianni likes this

#5 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 10,147 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted March 29 2017 - 01:46 PM

Fred's gun shop Port Jefferson

• chezgianni likes this

#6 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • Others: , , ,
  • 5,004 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, all the time

Posted March 30 2017 - 06:42 AM

I've been using the gunsmithing services at Benson's Gun Shop, in Coram, (631) 736-0065, for more than 30 years. They always took good care of my guns.

Gary

#7 chezgianni

chezgianni

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationNorth Shore Nassau County

Posted March 30 2017 - 09:42 AM

Thank you one and all for your info.  I also was given Michael Britt in Mineola now run by his son Randy.  I picked up the shotgun yesterday from Campsite and they told me their gunsmith did not have the cutters for the chokes.  I didn't inquire whether didn't have the cutters for the winchokes/benelli/browing invectors family or for all the others as well.  Sending to Briely I just do not see the value of the SKB plain model to spend for the Briely premium work.

To Gary, we have met several occasions while I was also member of SASI which I quit only for the long trips for me from my location.  Great group of sportsmen.  My club has taken over the Nassau Friends of the NRA annual dinner events.

Regards to all and thanks again for your help.

#8 Yaphank Kid

Yaphank Kid

Older Budweiser

• Donated Member
  • 2,181 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted March 30 2017 - 05:39 PM

Use Mike Orlen in MA for choke installations. Half the price of Briley and fast turnaround. I had 2 guns done and had them back in 6 days.
Michael R. Orlen

79 Salem St.

Amherst, MA 01002

413-256-1630

• chezgianni likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users