Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Mobile speed camera union turnpike now

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 LarryD23

LarryD23

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 274 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted March 20 2017 - 06:17 PM

Regarding red light cameras, Nassau county has signs in front of all the intersections with cameras, but NYC doesnt.

If you use the Waze app you will get an audio warning anytime to approach a red light camera.

• Mr. Shotgun likes this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 Mr. Shotgun

Mr. Shotgun

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 1,599 posts
  • LocationBehind Enemy Lines

Posted March 20 2017 - 06:57 PM

would my V1 Radar detector pick this up?

#23 SigSauer228

SigSauer228

Gun Guru

• 5,752 posts

Posted March 20 2017 - 07:37 PM

I got nailed in Washington DC with 2 speed cameras less than 2 miles apart. The warning sign was mere feet away from the camera so, no time to react. The area was a 50mph. I had the cruise set at 65mph and I was traveling down this hwy at 6:30am on a Saturday morning....no cars around. First camera got me doing 64mph. That was a $100 fine. 2nd camera was on a decline and got me doing 66mph. That one cost me $150.

If the vehicle was registered in my name, I never would have paid the fines however, the significant other didn't want to hear it and made me pay the fines.

Attached Thumbnails

• speed trap.jpg

#24 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 19,183 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted March 20 2017 - 09:04 PM

Not to worry once the automous cars arrive they will all be set at 55.

#25 Steyr AUG man

Steyr AUG man

Gun Guru

• 661 posts

Posted March 20 2017 - 09:45 PM

I got nailed in Washington DC with 2 speed cameras less than 2 miles apart. The warning sign was mere feet away from the camera so, no time to react. The area was a 50mph. I had the cruise set at 65mph and I was traveling down this hwy at 6:30am on a Saturday morning....no cars around. First camera got me doing 64mph. That was a $100 fine. 2nd camera was on a decline and got me doing 66mph. That one cost me $150.

If the vehicle was registered in my name, I never would have paid the fines however, the significant other didn't want to hear it and made me pay the fines.

i dont think that camera is a speed camera, likely just a traffic camera. there is no speed sensor, and no flash.

#26 only7rounds

only7rounds

Respected Gunowner

• 286 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted March 20 2017 - 10:03 PM

No, the highway in the MD/DC area is absolutely notorious for the speed cams.

#27 class3

class3

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 3,554 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted March 20 2017 - 10:11 PM

Which is still better than VA where they put you in jail for speeding.

#28 Steyr AUG man

Steyr AUG man

Gun Guru

• 661 posts

Posted March 20 2017 - 11:25 PM

Yes, they sure are, but that kind of camera you circled is more of a traffic flow monitoring camera. 

This is a DC speed camera:

27766627_1_20218_ver1.0.jpg

#29 Camaro45th

Camaro45th

Respected Gunowner

• 288 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted March 21 2017 - 04:44 AM

Which is still better than VA where they put you in jail for speeding.

I just read that article, I didn't finish it because it was unnecessarily long. But holy crap, jail for speeding.

#30 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,010 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted March 21 2017 - 06:08 AM

I just read that article, I didn't finish it because it was unnecessarily long. But holy crap, jail for speeding.

Virginia is notorious for giving out speeding tickets. I was lucky, but my colleagues​ husband ex NYPD active FDNY and her active PD didn't help. He got nailed over 20 mph. Very expensive trip.

#31 whitefoot

whitefoot

Powderfinger

• Donated Member
  • 2,477 posts
  • LocationGONE TO EARTH

Posted March 21 2017 - 07:08 AM

" Big Brother is Watching You. "    It's still astounding today that this simple 5 word quote from almost 70 years ago could be so profound .

#32 SigSauer228

SigSauer228

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 5,752 posts

Posted March 21 2017 - 07:58 AM

i dont think that camera is a speed camera, likely just a traffic camera. there is no speed sensor, and no flash.

Maybe. All I know is I got 2 tickets in the mail on that road.

#33 Steyr AUG man

Steyr AUG man

Gun Guru

• 661 posts

Posted March 21 2017 - 08:47 AM

Virginia is notorious for giving out speeding tickets. I was lucky, but my colleagues​ husband ex NYPD active FDNY and her active PD didn't help. He got nailed over 20 mph. Very expensive trip.

yeah, those keystone cops really suck. i was down there seeing a girl i met earlier in the year on a mason trip down to Lynchburg. I was driving her truck with her to a wedding in Waynesboro, and passed a cop with somebody pulled over. i was doing about 20 over the limit of 60.  i figured he was busy, and not caring about me. i was wrong. about a mile up the road he pulls me over. i showed him my ID and he said, "i can give you a break on the speed, but not the ticket". he wrote it for 9 mph over the limit. i paid $100 when i got back home. no points, no nothing. but still.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users