Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Driving abstract question.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 anthonyr

anthonyr

Junior

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 296 posts

Posted March 19 2017 - 03:47 PM

Has anyone ever submitted or have been asked to submit a lifetime abstract that goes back to day one of your drivers lic.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,477 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted March 19 2017 - 03:55 PM

Has anyone ever submitted or have been asked to submit a lifetime abstract that goes back to day one of your drivers lic.

As a Police Officer candidate yes. Not sure how far back they require for a Pistol License.

#3 Camaro45th

Camaro45th

Gun Guru

• 547 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted March 19 2017 - 04:25 PM

Yes I did as well when I was trying to get on PD, and NCPD asked for that when I went for finger printing.

#4 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 10,153 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted March 19 2017 - 04:57 PM

I gave PLB a copy of the abstract I got from DMV when I aplied for my pistol license  he ask if there where any others and I said "I dont remember half the ones that where on the sheet I gave you"

thats all there was to do about that.

I did mention I got a ticket in Penn for speeding but thats all I had.

#5 strmrdr81

strmrdr81

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Locationnassau county

Posted March 20 2017 - 01:45 PM

yes NCPD requires the lifetime abstract now... just another delay tactic as you have to mail albany etc

#6 SigSauer228

SigSauer228

Gun Guru

• 5,763 posts

Posted March 20 2017 - 08:37 PM

When I did that in the mid 1990's, the abstract only went back 5 years. Not sure how far back it goes nowadays.

#7 Seancusmc

Seancusmc

Gun Guru

• 618 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted March 20 2017 - 09:33 PM

yup same. It ended up being an issue for me because the DMV wouldnt give me the full abstract. They said they only keep records for so many years and I needed more paperwork from them to satisfy my investigator.

#8 strmrdr81

strmrdr81

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Locationnassau county

Posted March 21 2017 - 08:29 PM

yup same. It ended up being an issue for me because the DMV wouldnt give me the full abstract. They said they only keep records for so many years and I needed more paperwork from them to satisfy my investigator.

you've got to mail albany for it.

#9 LarryD23

LarryD23

Sharp Shooter!

• 464 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted March 21 2017 - 09:20 PM

Here's the procedure to get your "lifetime driving records": https://dmv.ny.gov/g...-driving-record

#10 joey52685

joey52685

Sharp Shooter!

• 644 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted March 24 2017 - 01:50 PM

I was asked to submit one.  I was honest about my history so nothing on it was a surprise.  It never became an issue.

#11 lichris

lichris

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3,905 posts
  • LocationStuck in a liberal hell hole.

Posted March 24 2017 - 06:11 PM

What does your operating a motor vehicle have to do with owning a handgun?

#12 imrich

imrich

Respected Gunowner

• Donated Member
  • 252 posts
  • LocationWestern Suffolk

Posted March 24 2017 - 06:35 PM

Nothing, it's just another speed bump they can throw in your path.

• Parashooter likes this

#13 joey52685

joey52685

Sharp Shooter!

• 644 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted March 25 2017 - 08:10 AM

The thinking is that consistent violations indicate a disregard for the law.  Like I said, I had a pretty messy driving record from when I was younger, but I was honest about it and it wasn't a problem. 

#14 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• 10,575 posts

Posted March 25 2017 - 09:40 AM

I had all my DMV history together before applying - presented my application with copies of my full abstract.

BE CAREFUL with Nassau Counties records!!!    They are LOUSY at keeping records! - I've had them tell me "You don't exist"  I've had them tell me "you're all done, nothing is left to resolve"  and then many years later something from many years prior to that statement I get a notice.....   I've gone to court, with their notice to appear, and had them not able to find the file.

All of this has happened MULTIPLE TIMES...      

The upside of getting a pistol license was having to prove everything had been resolved - so when that 1986 ticket popped up (AGAIN!) in 2009 - the good people at SCPLB pulled my original app out of the archives and gave me the paperwork I needed to prove I had resolved the '86 thing.  (DMV of course couldn't find it because Nassau didn't do its job.)

#15 Semperfi

Semperfi

Respected Gunowner

• 205 posts

Posted April 23 2017 - 12:17 AM

I gave my investigator a lifetime driving record history as required and a lifetime abstract (only if you got any tickets in the last 5 years). I played it safe and sent both. You probably gave them an abstract not a lifetime history. Confusing but they can't make it too easy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users