Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

AR Pistols?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Vycor

Vycor

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 1,839 posts

Posted March 19 2017 - 10:47 AM

Hey talk to me about AR pistols. Are these legal in NY state?

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

Respected Gunowner

• 222 posts

Posted March 19 2017 - 11:20 AM

If you're LE, yes. Otherwise, no.

#3 BLAMMO

BLAMMO

Lousy Shot

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 16,090 posts
  • LocationTrapped behind enemy lines

Posted March 19 2017 - 11:32 AM

What I've always wanted to know is, what practical use are they?

#4 Vycor

Vycor

Gun Guru

• 1,839 posts

Posted March 19 2017 - 12:46 PM

What makes them illegal? I see DSI has their DSI-10 pistol... one has a shoulder rest the other does not.

Barrel length???

Blammo, what practical use are half the things we put on our firearms... lol it's just neat and could have it's uses for some folks, here in NY we don't get many uses for the firearms we collect

#5 pew**pew**pew

pew**pew**pew

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted March 19 2017 - 03:50 PM

correct me if i am wrong..... the pistol needs to be under a certain weight? 50 oz. i believe i had read a post about the ar pistol in ny and this was one of the hurdles. that was quite a while ago... with todays polymers its probably doable. 

#6 pj4863

pj4863

Sharp Shooter!

• 427 posts

Posted March 19 2017 - 04:18 PM

I believe it now has to be single shot, because the magazine is outside the pistol grip

#7 Jaredwii

Jaredwii

Respected Gunowner

• 165 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County, ISLIP

Posted March 19 2017 - 04:29 PM

I believe it now has to be single shot, because the magazine is outside the pistol grip

it can be semi if magazine is fixed as well

#8 blue70chevelle

blue70chevelle

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • 499 posts

Posted March 19 2017 - 04:46 PM

I had 3 of them. I got bored, so I converted them to SBR's. Trying to get them off the pistol registry with the state was a chore inwith itself.

#9 Vycor

Vycor

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 1,839 posts

Posted March 19 2017 - 05:30 PM

Looks like combos (outside weight, i'm not sure if the weight restriction is off or not yet with new laws) can be

+Pistol Grip

+Detachable Mag

-2nd hand grip (shroud over barrel would count as that)

+Pistol Grip

-Detachable Mag

+2nd Hand Grip (or anything else for that matter)

So I guess the decision IF it's legal, which I think there is a legality to them if they are built right... would be do I want a fixed mag and somewhere for my hand to hold by tha barrel to make it easier OR do I do NO fixed mag and no shroud over barrel, so my 2nd hand is where it'd normally be on a pistol...

UPDATE: Just saw they do have the 50oz still listed so I'd have to get it built under 50 ozs OR if i just make it a fixed mag, i don't have to worry about that. I mean.. i dunno. I don't want any of my firearms to have a fixed mag (reverseable or not)... I think somebody made a device where after you disasemble the firearm (remove upper from lower) you can drop your mag (much better then having to feed the bullets through the lower into the mag). I'd be fine with that method, using 2 quick disconnect pins.

I might just go to DSI tomorrow and pick their brains a bit, see if they have any parts I can pickup as I want to build one myself

#10 Vycor

Vycor

Gun Guru

• 1,839 posts

Posted March 19 2017 - 05:35 PM

Actually this is what i'm looking to do...

#11 Jaredwii

Jaredwii

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 165 posts

Posted March 19 2017 - 05:53 PM

Looks like combos (outside weight, i'm not sure if the weight restriction is off or not yet with new laws) can be

+Pistol Grip

+Detachable Mag

-2nd hand grip (shroud over barrel would count as that)

+Pistol Grip

-Detachable Mag

+2nd Hand Grip (or anything else for that matter)

So I guess the decision IF it's legal, which I think there is a legality to them if they are built right... would be do I want a fixed mag and somewhere for my hand to hold by tha barrel to make it easier OR do I do NO fixed mag and no shroud over barrel, so my 2nd hand is where it'd normally be on a pistol...

UPDATE: Just saw they do have the 50oz still listed so I'd have to get it built under 50 ozs OR if i just make it a fixed mag, i don't have to worry about that. I mean.. i dunno. I don't want any of my firearms to have a fixed mag (reverseable or not)... I think somebody made a device where after you disasemble the firearm (remove upper from lower) you can drop your mag (much better then having to feed the bullets through the lower into the mag). I'd be fine with that method, using 2 quick disconnect pins.

I might just go to DSI tomorrow and pick their brains a bit, see if they have any parts I can pickup as I want to build one myself

Well that's what MEAN MA loader is for.. you don't have to open the upper just to reload from the top.

#12 Vycor

Vycor

Gun Guru

• 1,839 posts

Posted March 19 2017 - 06:15 PM

Mean MA loader? That's the thing I saw in a youtube video where it basically loads from the ejection port?

So if I made the AR15 Pistol with a fixed mag, looks like my weight limit AND the fact that the magazine loads forward of the pistol grip wouldn't matter... they'd be allowed because the fixed mag basically allows anything after that?

#13 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 222 posts

Posted March 19 2017 - 06:57 PM

© a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable
magazine
 and has at least one of the following characteristics:
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a thumbhole stock;
(iii) a second handgrip or a protruding grip that can be held by the
non-trigger hand;
(iv) capacity to accept an ammunition magazine that attaches to the
pistol outside of the pistol grip;
(v) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash
suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;
(vi) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely
encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm
with the non-trigger hand without being burned;
(vii) a manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is
unloaded; or
(viii) a semiautomatic version of an automatic rifle, shotgun or
firearm;

The operative word there is AND. Technically, a fixed mag AR pistol should be legal, though Nassau and Suffolk PLBs will not allow you to put them on your pistol license. Some of the upstate counties have done it, but no one in Nassau or Suffolk to my knowledge

#14 Vycor

Vycor

Gun Guru

• 1,839 posts

Posted March 19 2017 - 08:12 PM

Well who says i'm walking in there with anything other then a lower to have added to my pistol permit... can't they just add the lower since it's a build in progress? Or do I have to complete my build first and then bring them the pistol? If that's the case, how do I test fire the damn thing? I mean so many questions lol

If all else fails... I could always do one of those builds that uses the glock magazines... can you get those parts separatly and do your own build?

#15 BLAMMO

BLAMMO

Lousy Shot

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member

• 16,090 posts

Posted March 19 2017 - 10:00 PM

Blammo, what practical use are half the things we put on our firearms... lol it's just neat and could have it's uses for some folks, here in NY we don't get many uses for the firearms we collect

Just because you can do something doesn't mean it's a good idea.

I had 3 of them. I got bored, so I converted them to SBR's. Trying to get them off the pistol registry with the state was a chore inwith itself.

This is what I see happening. Aside from the administrative headaches, do you really want a pistol, in a rifle caliber, with a buffer tube sticking out the back? Even if you build it in 9mm or .45, wouldn't you rather just have a pistol you can holster?

Just always seemed like a dumb idea to me. But so does a fixed mag on an AR and that doesn't stop some people.

#16 Vycor

Vycor

Gun Guru

• 1,839 posts

Posted March 19 2017 - 11:31 PM

Hey to each his own right... what might not make sense to you might make sense to others. That's the beauty of our interest in firearms... there are LOTS of different flavors/varities out there for all of us. But this isn't why i posted the topic, to get ideas on if people think it's cool or neat or a good idea or not. It's to see if anybody else has experience with what I'm doing. I'm researching as much as I can and I keep finding that it should be legal. With a fixed magazine of course. As that's the way the NY seems to be written. IF I have a detachable mag THEN I can't have it forward, can't have a forward hand grip, can't do this, can't have that... HOWEVER If the magazine is fixed, then there is no SECOND page of checks... yer okay according to what i'm reading...

anybody else have info on this. Anybody else done one? Issues you ran into, things like that.

I know the gun stores are scared about it, don't blame em. Why risk losing their license right... over what some guy wants to do.

#17 blue70chevelle

blue70chevelle

Sharp Shooter!

• 499 posts

Posted March 20 2017 - 11:09 AM

Bottom line, an AR pistol with all evil features, but equipped with a fixed mag is perfectly legal with the spirit and the wording of the law. The problem lies in trying to get a dealer to transfer you a complete one. I don't know of any that will. The second problem is if you build one yourself, which is also legal, no pistol license section will add a stripped lower to your permit. They are going to want to see the entire gun. And that leads to your third problem. Regardless of the fact the it is perfectly legal, once pistol license sees that creation in person, you know there is no way in hell its getting added to your permit..

• BLAMMO likes this

#18 BLAMMO

BLAMMO

Lousy Shot

• Club LIF Member

• 16,090 posts

Posted March 20 2017 - 12:03 PM

And if you really want to start some $#!+, make it out of an 80% lower. Give it serial no. "1". :gaffaw2

#19 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

Respected Gunowner

• 222 posts

Posted March 20 2017 - 02:11 PM

My suggestion would be call SC Pistol and ask them. When they tell you no, ask them why they refuse to let you add a legal pistol to your license.

#20 Jaredwii

Jaredwii

Respected Gunowner

• 165 posts

Posted March 20 2017 - 02:16 PM

My suggestion would be call SC Pistol and ask them. When they tell you no, ask them why they refuse to let you add a legal pistol to your license.

I've already called them about 80% pistol frame (polymer80) but they said they have no idea what it is....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users