Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Getting the wife a CCW (in FL)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 CJ

CJ

SUPER STAR

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 5,446 posts
  • LocationTampa/Nassau

Posted March 19 2017 - 08:22 AM

I have been through the pistol licensing process in Nassau twice, once for my Target and once for my Business license. Both times a PITA for sure.

Now we live in Tampa. 3 weeks ago the wifey and I went to the Tampa gun show specifically to obtain her a CCW license. Here in Florida, they hold a training class at every gun show. The cost is a little inflated but IMO its worth it for the convenience of getting it all done in a few hours.

Its much like the Hunter Safety Course class in NY, bunch of people sitting in a room listening to an instructor. The first half of the class is a sales pitch, they are trying to sell you an insurance policy, "if you shoot someone this policy we a selling will protect you". The second half they actually explain the important stuff....the Penal Code, Stand Your Ground, Deadly Force, ect. Then they take your photo, electronically scan your fingerprints. Then you have to put a round down range with an instructor present. Take all your stuff home and mail it all to the Dept of Agriculture. None of the NY type BS involved. No references, no interview, no restrictions. They respect your 2A Rights here and make it easy for you to exercise that Right.   

Sent the app out on 3/2, check was cashed 3/8. Now by law, they have 90 days max to issue (or deny) her license.

They also give you a tracking number so you can keep an eye on the progress of the application.

FWIW, I had done the FL non-resident a few years before we moved here and it was just as painless. I encourage all of you who haven't gotten your FL non-resident yet to do so. Its really pretty easy. Going from non resident to resident took 2 minutes. Just had to log on and change my mailing address.

• NRATC53, Parashooter, bspz28 and 1 other like this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 bspz28

bspz28

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 631 posts

Posted March 19 2017 - 08:28 AM

I'm looking to move to North Carolina in 3 to 4 years I can't wait to get out of NY.  Glad to see everything is going good for you and the wife down in FL. How is your Mom doing .  Is she still up in NY ? 

#3 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 7,031 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted March 19 2017 - 08:29 AM

I have been through the pistol licensing process in Nassau twice, once for my Target and once for my Business license. Both times a PITA for sure.

Now we live in Tampa. 3 weeks ago the wifey and I went to the Tampa gun show specifically to obtain her a CCW license. Here in Florida, they hold a training class at every gun show. The cost is a little inflated but IMO its worth it for the convenience of getting it all done in a few hours.

Its much like the Hunter Safety Course class in NY, bunch of people sitting in a room listening to an instructor. The first half of the class is a sales pitch, they are trying to sell you an insurance policy, "if you shoot someone this policy we a selling will protect you". The second half they actually explain the important stuff....the Penal Code, Stand Your Ground, Deadly Force, ect. Then they take your photo, electronically scan your fingerprints. Then you have to put a round down range with an instructor present. Take all your stuff home and mail it all to the Dept of Agriculture. None of the NY type BS involved. No references, no interview, no restrictions. They respect your 2A Rights here and make it easy for you to exercise that Right.

Sent the app out on 3/2, check was cashed 3/8. Now by law, they have 90 days max to issue (or deny) her license.

They also give you a tracking number so you can keep an eye on the progress of the application.

FWIW, I had done the FL non-resident a few years before we moved here and it was just as painless. I encourage all of you who haven't gotten your FL non-resident yet to do so. Its really pretty easy. Going from non resident to resident took 2 minutes. Just had to log on and change my mailing address.

Florida mails out a new packet before it expires. The only requirement is you need to get fingerprinted to renew. For us in New York it's the ink card.

#4 CJ

CJ

SUPER STAR

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 5,446 posts
  • LocationTampa/Nassau

Posted March 19 2017 - 08:41 AM

I'm looking to move to North Carolina in 3 to 4 years I can't wait to get out of NY.  Glad to see everything is going good for you and the wife down in FL. How is your Mom doing .  Is she still up in NY ? 

Yes she is. Hoping to get her here full time soon.

Tried to PM you but you cannot accept any PM's

Edited by CJ, March 19 2017 - 08:46 AM.

#5 NRATC53

NRATC53

Soon to be Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 20,726 posts

Posted March 19 2017 - 01:12 PM

IIRC, NC requires yiou to

IIRC, NC requires you to take their safety course. I'll ask my Son, he's going for his when he has some spare time from traveling around the country fixing stuff

#6 NRATC53

NRATC53

Soon to be Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 20,726 posts

Posted March 19 2017 - 01:13 PM

My Mom got hers in FL, I took the course down there before sending her

#7 bspz28

bspz28

Gun Guru

• 631 posts

Posted March 19 2017 - 02:55 PM

Yes she is. Hoping to get her here full time soon.

Tried to PM you but you cannot accept any PM's

Hey I cleaned out my PM box . You can hit me up now ..

#8 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• 19,199 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted March 19 2017 - 03:17 PM

Welcome to a free State.

#9 Trailblazer

Trailblazer

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • Others: Donated Member

• 1,185 posts

Posted March 19 2017 - 06:18 PM

CJ  

What do you think about St. Petersburg?  Not to change the subject but since you're near by I figured I ask.

#10 CJ

CJ

SUPER STAR

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 5,446 posts
  • LocationTampa/Nassau

Posted March 19 2017 - 06:37 PM

CJ  

What do you think about St. Petersburg?  Not to change the subject but since you're near by I figured I ask.

I don't know a lot about St. Pete. I have been through there a few times. From what I know, its super liberal there also if you turn down the wrong street  and you can find yourself in "the hood". My friend lives there and he loves it.

The best advice I can give you is to go to baynews9 and watch the local news.

• Trailblazer likes this

#11 Trailblazer

Trailblazer

Sharp Shooter!

• Others: Donated Member

• 1,185 posts

Posted March 19 2017 - 07:58 PM

OK..thanks CJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users