Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Bill To Exempt Teachers From California State Income Tax

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 10,509 posts

Posted March 17 2017 - 12:55 PM

Long Island public school system is a scam

Harvard University, one of the most expensive colleges in the U.S. Costs $64,000 a year

My local school when you calculate cost per student from taxes is $74,000 a year

The worst part is that my kids are not getting a "Harvard" education and with Harvard you only have to pay for 4 years...public schools you pay for life!!!

BUT - Harvard and the other Ivy league schools - take in so much in donations from alumni, that they COULD  be free tuition for all students if they chose to....   Keeping the high tuition is a way they can discriminate and pick and choose who they let in... "Oh, you're not able to afford us? but your famous relative went here?  well we've got a scholarship....." and that sort of thing.

# Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Topic Starter

Posted A minute ago

#22 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• 19,549 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted March 17 2017 - 01:59 PM

That's why I put qoutes on "Harvard", people assume it's a great education...when in reality, it's not
my kids education is based on Austrian Economics

Sorry I did not notice the quotes.

#23 Charlie-NY

Charlie-NY

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted March 17 2017 - 05:22 PM

It's a matter of supply and demand. If you can't keep qualified teachers (or any other needed professional) in the area, raise the income until the supply meets the demand. Eliminating state tax seems to be an end run to the real solution. Raise salary until you have an appropriate retention rate. You will also have a better selection of candidates to choose from.

#24 Banzai

Banzai

Gun Guru

• 2,191 posts

Posted March 18 2017 - 12:22 PM

NY dropping teacher literacy test amid claims of racism:

http://www.foxnews.c...ims-racism.html

God forbid our teachers be able to read and write...

Ya gotta love progressive liberals...it's okay to hire incompetent teachers who will fail our children as long as you don't offend anybody. And I'm all for Kalifornia giving their teachers the pass on taxes. Nothing would make me happier than seeing the poster child for progressive libtard-ism go up in flames when Kali finally goes bankrupt due to its ridiculous libtard mentality and policies.

#25 only7rounds

only7rounds

Sharp Shooter!

• 372 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted March 18 2017 - 12:40 PM

Actually, giving a free pass on taxes is a back door way of giving a new contract without putting the raise into the  contract.

New York has done it as well. Back in 1999, if memory serves, as part of a contact deal, the State agreed to cap pension contributions at 10 years. That was a 3% raise for most State employees. Pension contributions are NOT a contract issue, so it was done in the back room. Of course, the later Pension Tiers put it back in for newer employees.

At the same time, the "commuter tax" was used as a contract sweetener. Again, a matter of law not contract, and it affected everyone, but it was part of what the State used to get contract approved.

Politicians are experts are taking money out of one pocket and putting it into someone else's pocket, then pretending they didn't spend any money.

• Parashooter and LarryD23 like this

#26 whitefoot

whitefoot

Powderfinger

• Donated Member
  • 2,478 posts
  • LocationGONE TO EARTH

Posted March 18 2017 - 01:26 PM

post-18369-0-72763600-1489757172_thumb.j

LET ME TELL YOU, NOT EXPLAIN, THAT DUES PAID TO PUBLIC SCHOOL UNIONS  ARE NOT CONTRIBUTIONS BUT FORCED PAYMENTS, BETTER KNOWN AS  " LEGALIZED EXTORTION ".  COMPLETE HYPOCRISY .

#27 CumminsSlayer

CumminsSlayer

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted March 18 2017 - 09:35 PM

Wow....bunch of teacher haters here. You all every talk about guns on your "firearm" website?

#28 rubbermittens

rubbermittens

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 3,937 posts

Posted March 18 2017 - 11:49 PM

A couple problems with your comparison - 1, you're comparing a STATE average taxes (and CA is a big State) to a couple COUNTIES (Nassau/Suffolk)

2, Again, comparing State Salaries to two Counties - check some way upstate rural counties and I'll bet there are teachers getting $20k salaries.

3, What's the cost of living in CA? -  and in NY?  (what does the average 2/3 bedroom home cost?)

Not that I disagree on the huge salaries we see here!

Property taxes in California do not vary significantly due to local as they do here, Cost of living in CA is way more than LI, the average 3 br home in a poor neighborhood is 5-6--k, Teachers are grossly underpaid in CA. When I moved here I thought NY was cheap, Bought a house within my first 6 months of being here

#29 rubbermittens

rubbermittens

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 3,937 posts

Posted March 18 2017 - 11:50 PM

and get 180 days a year off too !!

most schools in CA are year round

#30 rubbermittens

rubbermittens

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 3,937 posts

Posted March 18 2017 - 11:59 PM

I have a lot of friends who are teachers, too many are NOT the sharpest....   (I've mentioned the "$88 divided by FOUR" incident before....that she needed a pencil, pad, calculator and her glasses to figure out....)

But basic literacy?   The reason that "black and hispanic" are passing at a lower rate is certainly NOT due to racism as th earticle claims - it is due to lax standards in schools!  Poor teachers turn out poor students - passing those poor students and putting them through colleges and giving them degrees to TEACH....just leads to even lower quality students.

Saying that a "white workforce"  doesn't match the school's demographic is a reason to accept LOWER QUALITY TEACHERS is just stupid... It is itself racist - discriminating against WHITE teachers....  

Now - ONLY a 64% passing by WHITE participants???   that's just another reflection on the poor standards our schools accept as passing.....   We need HIGHER STANDARDS across the board for teachers....  especially in the earlier grades!  (you need a solid foundation to build a solid house)

oops... Back to teachers being exempted from income tax... OK - they're getting paid by tax monies - fine, exempt them... But then lower their pay to reflect that exemption.... And about that state-funded pension plan???... yeah, let's kill that too.

Im not sure what district you are looking at to get your opinions, But I know quite a few teachers and sure many cant hang a door, change a tire or move out of their own way But not one of them is stupid. The poor teachers = Poor student thing, I call bull on, If a student is a poor student their PARENTS failed them, failed to give them the necessary tools to comprehend material Stupid kids usually have stupid parents. Teachers just present material if a kid dont learn its the kids fault not the teachers. Higher Standards? Are you a little batty? In NYS a Masters is required to obtain a teaching Cert, Not much higher to require

#31 rubbermittens

rubbermittens

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 3,937 posts

Posted March 19 2017 - 12:02 AM

This topic is totally off target.
CA real estate tax: 1% off home value. Long Island: 2.5%.
CA teacher's salaries: $50k. Long Island: $120k.
I'm all for teachers being able to afford to live in a community where they teach, but their salaries are obscene here by any reasonable standard. This is without even counting other benefits like pension and medical benefits for life.

How is any salary Obscene? Suffolk PD and teachers make the same, They both have to deal with the idiots that live on this island on a daily basis, I say they are both underpaid for that reason alone

#32 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• 10,509 posts

Posted March 19 2017 - 11:15 AM

Im not sure what district you are looking at to get your opinions, But I know quite a few teachers and sure many cant hang a door, change a tire or move out of their own way But not one of them is stupid. The poor teachers = Poor student thing, I call bull on, If a student is a poor student their PARENTS failed them, failed to give them the necessary tools to comprehend material Stupid kids usually have stupid parents. Teachers just present material if a kid dont learn its the kids fault not the teachers. Higher Standards? Are you a little batty? In NYS a Masters is required to obtain a teaching Cert, Not much higher to require

OK - shouldn't be poor teacher=poor student.... it's more like Poor teacher = less educated student...   yes, I agree on the parenting too.  

Now, the teachers I was referring to...  Amityville - a HS Algebra teacher that couldn't do math.   (I'd correct her on the fly... she'd be writing on the board and "that's wrong".. yeah, she hated me. even more when she got fired.)   Deer Park, a teacher who couldn't SPELL to save his life....  A Smithtown grad - yes, with a Masters degree..... is the one who couldn't divide 88 by 4...teaches 2nd graders in a crappy neighborhood...  I had a college prof. with a "harvard" doctorate... just a moron.  I've got more too....

Now - poor standards....  the 2nd grade teacher - isn't allowed to fail students who don't make the grade...  Now, if you can't pass the test in 2nd grade, HOW will you be able to survive 3rd... and so on?  How about "we don't care if you do any work, just as long as you're in the classroom - you'll pass" ???  Yes, I heard this - that school just wanted seats filled so they would receive state money. is how the rest of that discussion went.   

ETA - btw, a masters hasn't been a requirement for all that long to be a teacher in NYS...  I think they enacted that in '92-93 - and there was a timeline to get your masters once you were hired, so having a masters wasn't really required until probably '96.   

#33 rubbermittens

rubbermittens

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 3,937 posts

Posted March 19 2017 - 04:09 PM

OK - shouldn't be poor teacher=poor student.... it's more like Poor teacher = less educated student...   yes, I agree on the parenting too.  

Now, the teachers I was referring to...  Amityville - a HS Algebra teacher that couldn't do math.   (I'd correct her on the fly... she'd be writing on the board and "that's wrong".. yeah, she hated me. even more when she got fired.)   Deer Park, a teacher who couldn't SPELL to save his life....  A Smithtown grad - yes, with a Masters degree..... is the one who couldn't divide 88 by 4...teaches 2nd graders in a crappy neighborhood...  I had a college prof. with a "harvard" doctorate... just a moron.  I've got more too....

Now - poor standards....  the 2nd grade teacher - isn't allowed to fail students who don't make the grade...  Now, if you can't pass the test in 2nd grade, HOW will you be able to survive 3rd... and so on?  How about "we don't care if you do any work, just as long as you're in the classroom - you'll pass" ???  Yes, I heard this - that school just wanted seats filled so they would receive state money. is how the rest of that discussion went.   

ETA - btw, a masters hasn't been a requirement for all that long to be a teacher in NYS...  I think they enacted that in '92-93 - and there was a timeline to get your masters once you were hired, so having a masters wasn't really required until probably '96.   

Thank you for clarifying, I totally understand where your coming from now. As in ANY profession their are idiots amongst them Also Understand That if you spend 20 years teaching 2nd grade math, you may actually forget how to do 5th grade math and so on, Im sure its not because they are stupid, I believe its more because they have allowed their brains to degenerate through complacency. But yes there are a few that are stupid I am sure. As far as not holding kids back, thats not an individual teacher thing thats a public education thing. Now, I am not a teacher, However, I have been placed in a position to instruct adults, in a stressful environment, I was placed in that position only because I was good at what they wanted me to teach not because I was smart. The class size was anywhere from 30-60 and the length of the class was 6 months. I taught everything the exact same way to everyone some times 20% would fail the proficiency tests, sometimes 30% did those failures mean that I did not do my job? I first thought that, did some research into the failures and found they pretty much sucked at all the other areas that I did not teach in.    My point is, Dont blame the teacher because a kid fails, A kid that does poorly has no one to blame but himself, his parents and possibly his Gene pool, Its just easier to blame the teacher. Its seems that most are jealous as to what a teacher makes on long island (which is not the norm elsewhere) But those who got the job, good for them, They found a job to where they can actually afford to live like a human being on this island. and that should not be begrudged by anyone, if it is, then that person can go to school and apply for a job as a teacher?

But cool, its not that you hate teachers, you just know of some that are idiots I wont disagree with you on that every profession has them.

#34 Denny

Denny

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 753 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County, NY

Posted March 19 2017 - 08:32 PM

Thank you for clarifying, I totally understand where your coming from now. As in ANY profession their are idiots amongst them Also Understand That if you spend 20 years teaching 2nd grade math, you may actually forget how to do 5th grade math and so on, Im sure its not because they are stupid, I believe its more because they have allowed their brains to degenerate through complacency. But yes there are a few that are stupid I am sure. As far as not holding kids back, thats not an individual teacher thing thats a public education thing. Now, I am not a teacher, However, I have been placed in a position to instruct adults, in a stressful environment, I was placed in that position only because I was good at what they wanted me to teach not because I was smart. The class size was anywhere from 30-60 and the length of the class was 6 months. I taught everything the exact same way to everyone some times 20% would fail the proficiency tests, sometimes 30% did those failures mean that I did not do my job? I first thought that, did some research into the failures and found they pretty much sucked at all the other areas that I did not teach in. My point is, Dont blame the teacher because a kid fails, A kid that does poorly has no one to blame but himself, his parents and possibly his Gene pool, Its just easier to blame the teacher. Its seems that most are jealous as to what a teacher makes on long island (which is not the norm elsewhere) But those who got the job, good for them, They found a job to where they can actually afford to live like a human being on this island. and that should not be begrudged by anyone, if it is, then that person can go to school and apply for a job as a teacher?

But cool, its not that you hate teachers, you just know of some that are idiots I wont disagree with you on that every profession has them.

Also add in the fact that kids learn differently so today's teachers are asked to differentiate instruction daily. That means teach several different versions of the lesson, utilize many modalities and give students options as to how they will demonstrate their knowledge. The modern classroom necessitates constructed learning and project based assessment. Actually, the new standards require it. The state though must evaluate teachers and found the simplest, cheapest method is to give every kid the same poorly constructed test. The end and the means are far from consistent.

True, students are not held back if they fail a subject or year. This isn't the teacher's choice. Teachers have no say in regard. School administrators and parents decide. There is a lot of research on retention. There are also idiots in every profession. I'm not sure though I'd classify every member of the profession based on the idiots amongst them. We all agree on that I'm sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#35 NRATC53

NRATC53

Soon to be Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 20,928 posts

Posted March 20 2017 - 10:35 AM

Would the last 2 Americans to leave California please bring the flag?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users