Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Bill To Exempt Teachers From California State Income Tax

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 19,707 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted March 15 2017 - 02:48 PM

I bet if they were not union this would not be happening.
http://www.foxnews.c...income-tax.html

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 bill3rail

bill3rail

Respected Gunowner

• 103 posts
  • LocationLI

Posted March 15 2017 - 03:15 PM

Exactly what CA needs, less people paying into the failing system!  Probably just a ploy to get votes for office later on.

And they're saying Teachers are more valued than Police and paid Fire Fighters!  Good Luck with that!

#3 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 3,990 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted March 15 2017 - 03:24 PM

and get 180 days a year off too !!

#4 LarryD23

LarryD23

Sharp Shooter!

• 455 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted March 15 2017 - 03:47 PM

NY dropping teacher literacy test amid claims of racism:

http://www.foxnews.c...ims-racism.html

God forbid our teachers be able to read and write...

• shamuscull likes this

#5 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• 10,572 posts

Posted March 15 2017 - 04:13 PM

NY dropping teacher literacy test amid claims of racism:

http://www.foxnews.c...ims-racism.html

God forbid our teachers be able to read and write...

I have a lot of friends who are teachers, too many are NOT the sharpest....   (I've mentioned the "$88 divided by FOUR" incident before....that she needed a pencil, pad, calculator and her glasses to figure out....)

But basic literacy?   The reason that "black and hispanic" are passing at a lower rate is certainly NOT due to racism as th earticle claims - it is due to lax standards in schools!  Poor teachers turn out poor students - passing those poor students and putting them through colleges and giving them degrees to TEACH....just leads to even lower quality students.

Saying that a "white workforce"  doesn't match the school's demographic is a reason to accept LOWER QUALITY TEACHERS is just stupid... It is itself racist - discriminating against WHITE teachers....  

Now - ONLY a 64% passing by WHITE participants???   that's just another reflection on the poor standards our schools accept as passing.....   We need HIGHER STANDARDS across the board for teachers....  especially in the earlier grades!  (you need a solid foundation to build a solid house)

oops... Back to teachers being exempted from income tax... OK - they're getting paid by tax monies - fine, exempt them... But then lower their pay to reflect that exemption.... And about that state-funded pension plan???... yeah, let's kill that too.

• Lou G likes this

#6 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• Topic Starter
  • LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 10,147 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted March 15 2017 - 04:13 PM

All civil servants shouldn't have to pay state tax every where. It like pay your boss to let you work there. I see some of the city guys have to pay a city tax to work for the city. Some guy get paid crap for the work they do so not paying the 4 to 9 grand in state and city tax would help alot of people live a better life.

#7 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• 19,707 posts

Posted March 15 2017 - 09:07 PM

Like the Libs are fond of saying: "everyone must pay their fair share".
  • Parashooter likes this

#8 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• 10,572 posts

Posted March 15 2017 - 11:20 PM

All civil servants shouldn't have to pay state tax every where. It like pay your boss to let you work there. I see some of the city guys have to pay a city tax to work for the city. Some guy get paid crap for the work they do so not paying the 4 to 9 grand in state and city tax would help alot of people live a better life.

The logic is slightly flawed though.... It is paying their fair share to support THEIR salary, ***AND*** the salaries of all the other teachers, and the salaries of the local police, and the salaries of the highway workers, etc. etc. etc.

It is NOT like they are paying SOLELY to pay their own salary....   If the Teacher works for a PRIVATE school - should they still be exempt since they are not being paid  by taxpayer money???

The logic could easily be extended to all other taxpayer-employed persons.... Guess what that turns into? a healthy hole in the tax revenue, and a very healthy increase in tax assessments for everyone else.

Now - should they only be exempt from income tax?  Or shoult they also be exempt from property tax, sales tax, fuel tax and so on and so on???

It's the same logic that people use when they say "I've got no children, WHY should I pay school taxes?"

Man, that slippery slope gets steep fast no?

Better solution is to get responsible spending in place - plan ahead for major projects so that we don't have to pay debt-servicing (interest on bonds)  Don't play the games with budgets that encourage wasteful spending  ("well, since you didn't spend that much last year, we're cutting your budget THIS year - when you need to replace that bridge that we wouldn't let you earmark money for in last years budget...")

Lose tenure - it encourages complacency.    Enact MORE competency testing to ensure literacy and subject knowledge (I had a music professor that couldn't read music... I actually gave her a lesson during a class, then spoke to the administration... she didn't last long fortunately)

Summer time... sorry teachers... that 5-in-1 paycheck?  gone... you're not working you don't get paid  (5 in 1 is 5 paychecks in one, to cover that ten weeks summer break)  I had a fun breakdown for the local school - it did the math, 180 days, of actual work, short hours, holidays, etc.... it worked out the average teacher was getting over $80 per hour.

How about they instead get to go on unemployment for the summer like the bus drivers?  yeah, get well below half what they get during the school year....   that difference probably more than makes up for them having to pay state income taxes... so quit pissing!!!

• William Anthony likes this

#9 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator

• 10,147 posts

Posted March 16 2017 - 09:52 AM

The logic is slightly flawed though.... It is paying their fair share to support THEIR salary, ***AND*** the salaries of all the other teachers, and the salaries of the local police, and the salaries of the highway workers, etc. etc. etc.

It is NOT like they are paying SOLELY to pay their own salary....   If the Teacher works for a PRIVATE school - should they still be exempt since they are not being paid  by taxpayer money???

The logic could easily be extended to all other taxpayer-employed persons.... Guess what that turns into? a healthy hole in the tax revenue, and a very healthy increase in tax assessments for everyone else.

Now - should they only be exempt from income tax?  Or shoult they also be exempt from property tax, sales tax, fuel tax and so on and so on???

It's the same logic that people use when they say "I've got no children, WHY should I pay school taxes?"

Man, that slippery slope gets steep fast no?

Better solution is to get responsible spending in place - plan ahead for major projects so that we don't have to pay debt-servicing (interest on bonds)  Don't play the games with budgets that encourage wasteful spending  ("well, since you didn't spend that much last year, we're cutting your budget THIS year - when you need to replace that bridge that we wouldn't let you earmark money for in last years budget...")

Lose tenure - it encourages complacency.    Enact MORE competency testing to ensure literacy and subject knowledge (I had a music professor that couldn't read music... I actually gave her a lesson during a class, then spoke to the administration... she didn't last long fortunately)

Summer time... sorry teachers... that 5-in-1 paycheck?  gone... you're not working you don't get paid  (5 in 1 is 5 paychecks in one, to cover that ten weeks summer break)  I had a fun breakdown for the local school - it did the math, 180 days, of actual work, short hours, holidays, etc.... it worked out the average teacher was getting over $80 per hour.

How about they instead get to go on unemployment for the summer like the bus drivers?  yeah, get well below half what they get during the school year....   that difference probably more than makes up for them having to pay state income taxes... so quit pissing!!!

I was kidding more of pointing out the stupidity of the sunshine and moving earth state. There are a lot more deserving people that need a tax break them teacher.

I always felt if your making minimum wage you shouldn't have to pay some taxs (State and federal) this would make a difference in they life and would take the burden off the tax payers as they will not need public assistance or not as much. Part of that tax cut will be made up in sales tax for the product their can now afford. 

It not perfect, but what is.

• Parashooter likes this

#10 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 10,572 posts

Posted March 16 2017 - 12:08 PM

I was kidding more of pointing out the stupidity of the sunshine and moving earth state. There are a lot more deserving people that need a tax break them teacher.

I always felt if your making minimum wage you shouldn't have to pay some taxs (State and federal) this would make a difference in they life and would take the burden off the tax payers as they will not need public assistance or not as much. Part of that tax cut will be made up in sales tax for the product their can now afford. 

It not perfect, but what is.

Agreed - and at minimum wage, you're not paying very much if any income tax

#11 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• 19,707 posts

Posted March 16 2017 - 01:00 PM

In think everyone should pay taxes. Even the poorest of the poor should pay something even if its one penny. As Barack would say "you have to have skin in the game".  

• Parashooter likes this

#12 leftjammer

leftjammer

Gun Guru

• 2,389 posts
  • LocationNew Hyde Park

Posted March 16 2017 - 03:04 PM

In think everyone should pay taxes. Even the poorest of the poor should pay something even if its one penny. As Barack would say "you have to have skin in the game".  

Make a flat tax.

If poor people can pay the same sales tax on goods as wealthy people do, than why not have the same system for income?

• Parashooter likes this

#13 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator

• 10,147 posts

Posted March 16 2017 - 07:10 PM

I hear you i have family that are under employed he works 7 12 hour days she works nights. Both make minimum wage but since he works just shy of 80 hours a week they can't get public assistance.

But if he stop working full time and she stop working full time they be getting housing medical and yes car payments. But he refuses to be on the dole. They got 2 kids. I hoping he get hired by the city in one of the jobs he's trying to get. Now if he didn't need to pay income tax he'd be lower middle class in new york as he pays his own healthcare which is insane. 

#14 lucija

lucija

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 639 posts

Posted March 16 2017 - 09:28 PM

This topic is totally off target.
CA real estate tax: 1% off home value. Long Island: 2.5%.
CA teacher's salaries: $50k. Long Island: $120k.
I'm all for teachers being able to afford to live in a community where they teach, but their salaries are obscene here by any reasonable standard. This is without even counting other benefits like pension and medical benefits for life.
  • Parashooter likes this

#15 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• 10,572 posts

Posted March 17 2017 - 07:45 AM

This topic is totally off target.
CA real estate tax: 1% off home value. Long Island: 2.5%.
CA teacher's salaries: $50k. Long Island: $120k.
I'm all for teachers being able to afford to live in a community where they teach, but their salaries are obscene here by any reasonable standard. This is without even counting other benefits like pension and medical benefits for life.

A couple problems with your comparison - 1, you're comparing a STATE average taxes (and CA is a big State) to a couple COUNTIES (Nassau/Suffolk)

2, Again, comparing State Salaries to two Counties - check some way upstate rural counties and I'll bet there are teachers getting $20k salaries.

3, What's the cost of living in CA? -  and in NY?  (what does the average 2/3 bedroom home cost?)

Not that I disagree on the huge salaries we see here!

#16 Ancap

Ancap

Respected Gunowner

• 149 posts

Posted March 17 2017 - 08:26 AM

image.jpeg
  • Parashooter likes this

#17 Ancap

Ancap

Respected Gunowner

• 149 posts

Posted March 17 2017 - 08:31 AM

image.jpeg
  • Parashooter and whitefoot like this

#18 Ancap

Ancap

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 149 posts

Posted March 17 2017 - 08:45 AM

Long Island public school system is a scam

Harvard University, one of the most expensive colleges in the U.S. Costs $64,000 a year

My local school when you calculate cost per student from taxes is $74,000 a year

The worst part is that my kids are not getting a "Harvard" education and with Harvard you only have to pay for 4 years...public schools you pay for life!!!
  • lucija likes this

#19 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• 19,707 posts

Posted March 17 2017 - 09:37 AM

Long Island public school system is a scam
Harvard University, one of the most expensive colleges in the U.S. Costs $64,000 a year
My local school when you calculate cost per student from taxes is $74,000 a year
The worst part is that my kids are not getting a "Harvard" education and with Harvard you only have to pay for 4 years...public schools you pay for life!!!

You don't want your kids to get a Harvard education!
  • whitefoot likes this

#20 Ancap

Ancap

Respected Gunowner

• 149 posts

Posted March 17 2017 - 11:02 AM

You don't want your kids to get a Harvard education!

That's why I put qoutes on "Harvard", people assume it's a great education...when in reality, it's not

my kids education is based on Austrian Economics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users