Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Ice on roof hit my car

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 angelonm

angelonm

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,784 posts

Posted March 15 2017 - 04:45 PM

I was watching huge sheets of ice flying off cars and trucks this morning on the LIE West Bound.  Amazed that nobody got hurt.

Same here. LIE westbound this afternoon was amazing dodging all the ice. People just don't care is all.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 William Anthony

William Anthony

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 177 posts
  • LocationEast Quogue L.I. N.Y.

Posted March 15 2017 - 05:18 PM

Being semi retired ,I drive  a school bus about 120 miles a day and see inconsiderate people everyday on the road . It has become the norm to me. It would surprise me to go a day without seeing it .How would someone care about ice flying off their roof when they don't even care about cutting off a school bus with a bunch of children on it. A good friend of mine was sitting waiting for a light to change , when it did he got about 5 ft and a girl in an SUV hit him broadside going fast enough to throw a full size school bus bus off the street up onto a grassy area. He was hurt so bad that he never returned to work. The girl was late and was flying thru the intersection  to beat the traffic light. It taught me  to watch everyone and take nobody's action's on the road for granted.

• Mr. Shotgun, LongIsland Guy and rlitman like this

#23 anthonyr

anthonyr

Junior

• 296 posts

Posted March 15 2017 - 06:21 PM

All kidding aside did you save the ice to show the cop..

#24 BLAMMO

BLAMMO

Lousy Shot

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 16,091 posts
  • LocationTrapped behind enemy lines

Posted March 15 2017 - 06:30 PM

The insurance company or Police isn't your friend in this particular incident. They see it as why you couldn't avoid hitting that object if you were driving safe on a sunny day.

Because it's hard to avoid something that's FLYING THROUGH THE AIR STRAIGHT AT ME WHILE I'M DRIVING ON A ROAD?!!

I once had a sheet of ice the size of a banquet table fly off a mail truck hit my car head-on. The ice just obliterated and there was no damage, but still ... You think the local post offices get someone out after a storm to clear the ice and snow off the tops of the trucks?

#25 BLAMMO

BLAMMO

Lousy Shot

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 16,091 posts
  • LocationTrapped behind enemy lines

Posted March 15 2017 - 06:37 PM

... A good friend of mine was sitting waiting for a light to change , when it did he got about 5 ft and a girl in an SUV hit him broadside going fast enough to throw a full size school bus bus off the street up onto a grassy area. He was hurt so bad that he never returned to work. The girl was late and was flying thru the intersection  to beat the traffic light. It taught me  to watch everyone and take nobody's action's on the road for granted.

My father taught me, when I was learning to drive - when you're sitting first at a red light and the light turns green, don't just hit the gas and go. ALWAYS look both ways first. I'd be dead at least 3 times if I hadn't learned that.

• LongIsland Guy and William Anthony like this

#26 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 9,959 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted March 15 2017 - 06:38 PM

Call the police 100% all these assholes running after hit you  needs to stop. Last year a guy hiy my wife then took off and got in a bigger accident and almost kill two kids in the second car. It was on the news and guess what he had no insurance and no citizenship when the Asshole judge let him out he never looked back and disappeared

#27 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,251 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted March 15 2017 - 07:11 PM

Call the police 100% all these assholes running after hit you  needs to stop. Last year a guy hiy my wife then took off and got in a bigger accident and almost kill two kids in the second car. It was on the news and guess what he had no insurance and no citizenship when the Asshole judge let him out he never looked back and disappeared

Must be a liberal judge, New York is the land of ******* Oz!

#28 Nordon

Nordon

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 6,146 posts
  • LocationEast Northport, not far from Brooklyn

Posted March 15 2017 - 07:32 PM

Is it the same rule like other debris, it it falls off, hits the road, then your car, you're SOL, if directly hits your car from his, then he is liable. Careful though, filing a report may get to your insurance, and they will claim you made a claim.

Edited by Nordon, March 15 2017 - 07:32 PM.

#29 FDEMTNYC

FDEMTNYC

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 389 posts
  • LocationBethpage

Posted March 15 2017 - 08:02 PM

Definitely report it. Don't quote me on it, but I believe it's a summonsable offense for not cleaning off the roof of your car/truck for that exact reason.

#30 louie lam

louie lam

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 744 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted March 15 2017 - 08:11 PM

After calling the princinct I needed to go to work immediately. Didn't have time to wait for the police and get the report.

My thinking is if someone honk at you with the four way flashers on while sheet of ice flying off your roof, you need to stop at see what happened. He gave me an apologizing gesture and took off. What a scumbag!!

#31 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator

• 9,959 posts

Posted March 15 2017 - 09:00 PM

Must be a liberal judge, New York is the land of Fucking Oz!

released him on $1000 bail. never to be seen again.

#32 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator

• 9,959 posts

Posted March 15 2017 - 09:04 PM

After calling the princinct I needed to go to work immediately. Didn't have time to wait for the police and get the report.

My thinking is if someone honk at you with the four way flashers on while sheet of ice flying off your roof, you need to stop at see what happened. He gave me an apologizing gesture and took off. What a scumbag!!

I would file that report first thing when you get home stop at the precinct.

#33 Tracee

Tracee

Respected Gunowner

• 100 posts
  • LocationSea Cliff, NY

Posted March 16 2017 - 12:46 AM

released him on $1000 bail. never to be seen again.

They don't care: Gummint got the money, perp bailed, and - oh yeah - you got stuck with the bill. Life in these times...

#34 Jakef150

Jakef150

Respected Gunowner

• Club LIF Member
  • 271 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted March 16 2017 - 09:43 AM

I bought a $100 dash cam for crap just like this

I'm curious, What you got ?? Brand ?

Thanks

#35 fenucho

fenucho

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,080 posts
  • LocationAdirondaks

Posted March 16 2017 - 10:33 AM

How much did the body shop say the damage was?

#36 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,251 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted March 16 2017 - 11:31 AM

It seems that many people didn't shovel the slush from driveways and sidewalks. Now it's all Frozen. That frozen panel on a vehicle has the ability to go airborne and cause damage. Be careful driving!

#37 LarryD23

LarryD23

Sharp Shooter!

• 349 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted March 16 2017 - 05:49 PM

Ice Flies Off Truck, Crashes Through Windshield Of Somerset County Man's Car: 

http://patch.com/new...county-mans-car

#38 VolkoSupply

VolkoSupply

Gun Guru

• Forum Sponsor

• 2,827 posts

Posted March 16 2017 - 08:37 PM

look at it this way...on hempstead tpke there is a real possibility there is red light camera footage to support your claim.

Just file Louie.  Only real recourse you have unfortunately.

• Parashooter likes this

#39 fenucho

fenucho

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,080 posts
  • LocationAdirondaks

Posted March 17 2017 - 07:00 AM

look at it this way...on hempstead tpke there is a real possibility there is red light camera footage to support your claim.

Just file Louie.  Only real recourse you have unfortunately.

You need a subpoena  or court order to get that footage if it was even a recorded event.

It's a very frustrating event for sure, but if the damage isn't over your deductible, you're better off being frustrated.

Even then, you're charged with a single car event.

All the PoPo is going to do is take the report and submit it. Don't for one minute think they're going to investigate.

In that instance, if they didn't see it, it's only your word that it happened, They're just a secretary

The only recourse he has is to file a claim with his insurance if you have collision and get charged with an incident.

Your insurance pays to fix your car and tries to get reimbursed from the other guy who tells his insurance company.

"What... the guys crazy. I wasn't even there that day"  Case closed.

How can you prove the other guy was even there. Yeah, you have a license plate number... how many do you want.

• boosti likes this

#40 SigSauer228

SigSauer228

Gun Guru

• 5,761 posts

Posted March 17 2017 - 07:35 AM

I bought a $100 dash cam for crap just like this

I did too but at 1080p, it's just not quite good enough to read a plate. I just picked up a better camera with higher resolution for license plates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users