Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Ice on roof hit my car

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 louie lam

louie lam

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 744 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted March 15 2017 - 12:27 PM

Was driving on Hempstead Turnpike at 12:30pm. An idiot didn't clean the thick ice off the roof. The ice fall off and hit my car. I hold my hand on the honk. That guy didn't stop and ran a red light to get away. I stopped later now and discovered the grill is missing a chunk. I remember that guy license plate. Should I call the police and what would they do? Or am I just wasting my time calling the police?
  • mickeyblueyes likes this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 ProGodProGunProLife

ProGodProGunProLife

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 6,060 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted March 15 2017 - 12:28 PM

Was driving on Hempstead Turnpike at 12:30pm. An idiot didn't clean the thick ice off the roof. The ice fall off and hit my car. I hold my hand on the honk. That guy didn't stop and ran a red light to get away. I stopped later now and discovered the grill is missing a chunk. I remember that guy license plate. Should I call the police and what would they do? Or am I just wasting my time calling the police?

If you have the license plate, report it to the police.  If you fill out the report, you might be able to get his insurance company to pay for it. 

• NRATC53, Parashooter, BLAMMO and 4 others like this

#3 rlitman

rlitman

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 1,908 posts
  • LocationBellmore

Posted March 15 2017 - 12:33 PM

NCPD takes hit and run accidents very seriously.  I would certainly call the precinct desk with the plate number.

• BLAMMO and VolkoSupply like this

#4 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 7,251 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted March 15 2017 - 12:37 PM

This could be difficult to prove if the driver of the other vehicle claims it wasn't him.

#5 louie lam

louie lam

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 744 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted March 15 2017 - 12:48 PM

This could be difficult to prove if the driver of the other vehicle claims it wasn't him.

That is my concern, wasting time back and forth. I have no dash cam. I remember the plate number. It was a blue Honda.

#6 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 3,949 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted March 15 2017 - 12:49 PM

Why we don't have a law with a hefty fine here like other states is beyond me.  We sure have enough laws, rules and regulations for useless stuff.  Too short to clear it off?  Tough darts, get a Mini Cooper or stay off the road until it melts.

• angelonm, Yaphank Kid and gwbahren like this

#7 Chief Brody

Chief Brody

Gun Guru

• 995 posts
  • LocationHauppauge, NY

Posted March 15 2017 - 12:57 PM

Sucks, OP. Definitely report it. Worst case scenario, nothing happens. Best case, his insurance covers it. 

Yesterday, I stood on the rear wheels of my Escape and cleared the 2" layer of ice from the roof. Didn't see anybody else doing that. 

• gcloss likes this

#8 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,251 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted March 15 2017 - 12:59 PM

That is my concern, wasting time back and forth. I have no dash cam. I remember the plate number. It was a blue Honda.

The insurance company or Police isn't your friend in this particular incident. They see it as why you couldn't avoid hitting that object if you were driving safe on a sunny day.

#9 leftjammer

leftjammer

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 2,331 posts
  • LocationNew Hyde Park

Posted March 15 2017 - 01:00 PM

I bought a $100 dash cam for crap just like this

• Parashooter and CAP1974 like this

#10 louie lam

louie lam

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 744 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted March 15 2017 - 01:07 PM

Just called the precinct and told them what happen. They told me to call 911 and file a police report.

#11 louie lam

louie lam

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 744 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted March 15 2017 - 01:10 PM

It's not that important it's an old car but I just want the idiot to be pinished.

#12 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,251 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted March 15 2017 - 01:12 PM

It's not that important it's an old car but I just want the idiot to be pinished.

What will the police do to punish this person ?

#13 Chief Brody

Chief Brody

Gun Guru

• 995 posts
  • LocationHauppauge, NY

Posted March 15 2017 - 01:14 PM

What will the police do to punish this person ?

Insurance will want there to be a police report. 

• 4DR ZR1 likes this

#14 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,251 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted March 15 2017 - 01:20 PM

Insurance will want there to be a police report.

If the damage is over $1000 the police must prepare an MV104A. Vehicle vs Vehicle, in this case it's property damage.

#15 DarkStorm

DarkStorm

Gun Guru

• Forum Sponsor
  • Others: Donated Member

• 2,336 posts

Posted March 15 2017 - 01:27 PM

On my way in this morning SCPD had someone pulled over and was watching them clear the snow off the roof of their car.

• NRATC53, Parashooter, ProGodProGunProLife and 1 other like this

#16 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• 19,425 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted March 15 2017 - 01:40 PM

Report it.

#17 bill3rail

bill3rail

Respected Gunowner

• 103 posts
  • LocationLI

Posted March 15 2017 - 01:47 PM

There is a NYS law covering liability for uncleared snow/ice on vehicles.  I recently installed a dash camera for this and other situations.

$99.00 dash camera from Microcenter, Westbury.

Bill

• rlitman likes this

#18 Mr. Shotgun

Mr. Shotgun

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 1,615 posts
  • LocationBehind Enemy Lines

Posted March 15 2017 - 02:31 PM

In my family, we have in total 7 cars among us and we always clear the snow and ice from the roof of our cars before we go driving. On top of that we all swap to snow tires for the winter season.

#19 DellDude

DellDude

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 697 posts

Posted March 15 2017 - 02:46 PM

I was watching huge sheets of ice flying off cars and trucks this morning on the LIE West Bound.  Amazed that nobody got hurt.

• angelonm likes this

#20 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• 10,468 posts

Posted March 15 2017 - 04:21 PM

I saw someone get hit this afternoon on the parkway.... chunks of ice off an SUV came down on the hood/windshield... he slams on the brakes, almost got rear-ended by the car behind... they both almost swerved out in front of me... could've got messy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users