Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

NYC Handgun Permit Applications Backed-Up 8 Months

nyc permit home premise

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 IronPatriot

IronPatriot

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted March 13 2017 - 09:07 AM

Hi,

It's been two months since I've applied for my New York City handgun permit.  I haven't yet received a letter from my assigned officer, so I called the licensing division.  I was told they're backed up 8 months, so I should call back in June.  I'm aware of the division scandal, where employees were illegally selling permits.  The license division employee said there was a shakeup - they have new staff - so it sounds as though the scandal set things back.  

Has anyone heard of a wait like this?  Is it true, by law, they legally have to either approve or deny your application within 8 months?  

I understand we have high crime in NYC, therefore we have strict gun laws.  I agree with the law, extensive background checks, but this timeline they're now proposing to me seems excessive and a bit unconstitutional.   I've never been arrested.  I'm a family man with a solid work history.  I'm active in my community here in Queens.  There should be no reason, after handing in all requested paperwork, taking a legal law class (focusing on penal law 35), paying the exorbitant application fees, that they're not even looking at my application for six months...  This is ridiculous.  

The times they are 'a changing...

IP

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member + Classifieds
  • 7,350 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted March 13 2017 - 09:15 AM

Hi,

It's been two months since I've applied for my New York City handgun permit.  I haven't yet received a letter from my assigned officer, so I called the licensing division.  I was told they're backed up 8 months, so I should call back in June.  I'm aware of the division scandal, where employees were illegally selling permits.  The license division employee said there was a shakeup - they have new staff - so it sounds as though the scandal set things back.  

Has anyone heard of a wait like this?  Is it true, by law, they legally have to either approve or deny your application within 8 months?  

I understand we have high crime in NYC, therefore we have strict gun laws.  I agree with the law, extensive background checks, but this timeline they're now proposing to me seems excessive and a bit unconstitutional.   I've never been arrested.  I'm a family man with a solid work history.  I'm active in my community here in Queens.  There should be no reason, after handing in all requested paperwork, taking a legal law class (focusing on penal law 35), paying the exorbitant application fees, that they're not even looking at my application for six months...  This is ridiculous.  

The times they are 'a changing...

IP

You should have an attorney at the six month mark send a letter. It's typical that many counties are backed up. People who waited six months and used an attorney have been successfull in seeing results.
You shouldn't be penalized for a bunch of corrupt cops caught giving full carry licenses.
  • IronPatriot likes this

#3 IronPatriot

IronPatriot

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted March 13 2017 - 10:02 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, boosti.  I will contact an attorney as time goes on.  Does anyone know the cost for something like this?

We abide by the law, the law doesn't abide by itself, and we're penalized.  

I'm hoping this delay doesn't drive people to purchase illegal handguns.  

#4 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 7,350 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted March 13 2017 - 10:14 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, boosti.  I will contact an attorney as time goes on.  Does anyone know the cost for something like this?

We abide by the law, the law doesn't abide by itself, and we're penalized.  

I'm hoping this delay doesn't drive people to purchase illegal handguns.

In my opinion, Law abiding people are not going to purchase an illegal firearm. Here in New York, we have strict laws that will punish you if caught with one.
If you have a family member or friend that is an attorney who can write you a letter. The attorney will inform the licensing officer that he's violating his clients right to obtaining a pistol license in the six month time frame. Once you submitted the application, the clock starts.
  • IronPatriot likes this

#5 IronPatriot

IronPatriot

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted March 13 2017 - 10:53 AM

In my opinion, Law abiding people are not going to purchase an illegal firearm. Here in New York, we have strict laws that will punish you if caught with one.
If you have a family member or friend that is an attorney who can write you a letter. The attorney will inform the licensing officer that he's violating his clients right to obtaining a pistol license in the six month time frame. Once you submitted the application, the clock starts.

Good to know.  I'll do so as the 6 month period draws near.  Thanks.

If anyone is experiencing long waits due to the scandal I'd like to know.  

#6 Tracee

Tracee

Respected Gunowner

• 106 posts
  • LocationSea Cliff, NY

Posted March 13 2017 - 10:58 AM

John Chambers will serve you well as an attorney. Don't have his number handy, but Google his name. You can message me and I'll give any more background you want. Does tend to be pricey, $3000 for my friend, but you have to weigh that v. slogging through the B/S.
  • boosti likes this

#7 LarryD23

LarryD23

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • 404 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted March 13 2017 - 11:03 AM

You'll find a number of resources here. I'd start with the NRA listing.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q...dment attorneys

• IronPatriot likes this

#8 IronPatriot

IronPatriot

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted March 13 2017 - 11:32 AM

John Chambers will serve you well as an attorney. Don't have his number handy, but Google his name. You can message me and I'll give any more background you want. Does tend to be pricey, $3000 for my friend, but you have to weigh that v. slogging through the B/S.

Thanks, Tracee.   Did your friend receive a carry or home premise permit?

#9 stokes

stokes

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNYS

Posted March 13 2017 - 12:21 PM

Yes,things at the license division have changed and things are backed up.When I retired in '13 all I had to do was fill out the app,show up with my retired ID card and "good guy letter" and I had my permit in less than an hour.A good friend of mine retired in March of '16 and when I spoke to him in Nov he still didnt have his permit yet.He'd been waiting 8 mos.,you've only been waiting 2 mos,be patient.I realize as a retired MOS we dont have to go thru the background like everybody else,and that was why it used to be so easy.Its not like that anymore since the shake up.I aint sayin its right,but we all know the NYPD can be very arbitrary when it comes to reasons for denial.I wouldnt be too quick to get lawyers involved before you get an answer.Its sucks that anybody has to jump thru hoops to get a license,but such is life in NYC.

• Tracee likes this

#10 Mr. Shotgun

Mr. Shotgun

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationBehind Enemy Lines

Posted March 13 2017 - 01:54 PM

Going thru the pistol permit process with NYC is a pain. I got mine in 5 months though. It could have taken 4 but they threw me some curve balls. The thing is they dig up anything and everything in your past and try to use it against you to deny you. In my case I had 2 traffic equipment violations from my college days in which I had to go to traffic court to get dispositions on. 

During the interview they asked me all sorts of questions like do I have kids? No. Who do I live with? Live with wife only. Do I live in a safe neighborhood? Uhh yes, officer I live in the wealthiest neighborhoods in Queens, NYC and own my detached, single family home, mortgage free etc...but I was prepared for it. This was my second time applying, since on my first try I got denied since I was living at home with my parents at the time, and they weren't willing to sign off on an affadavit for me since they were very anti gun. Many people on this forum were very encouraging to me at that time, but many members were just plain old jerks and treated me like a child who's just "living at home with mommy and daddy" at the time. Anyhow, the second time around was much easier though, then this scandal breaks out.

Anyhow, I'm hoping national CCW becomes law soon. In a year from now I plan to buy a vacation home in PA and will probably move all my guns out there, apply for a CCW with the local sheriff and be able to experience true freedom on the weekends lol

To the OP good luck with the process and don't lose hope!

Edited by Mr. Shotgun, March 13 2017 - 01:57 PM.

#11 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• 19,569 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted March 13 2017 - 03:29 PM

Only eight months!

#12 Tracee

Tracee

Respected Gunowner

• 106 posts
  • LocationSea Cliff, NY

Posted March 13 2017 - 03:31 PM

Thanks, Tracee.   Did your friend receive a carry or home premise permit?

She got a premises permit. I urged her to ask him about a carry, but Chambers pretty much said it'd not be possible (doesn't have business, not carrying big cash, no Order of Protection, the usual stuff). She got her pemisis in crazy short time, don't even want to say 'cuz don't want to set precedent for others. Again, charged a lot, but cut through the B/S in short order.

Also, be careful in talking to people in the licensing bureau - they are asking you "trick" questions up to the very end. The examiner asked - after she had finished registering her side arms, the examiner said: "Well, I guess you're going to shoot up the town tonight!!". They really try to trip you up.
  • IronPatriot likes this

#13 Trailblazer

Trailblazer

Sharp Shooter!

• Others: Donated Member

• 1,208 posts

Posted March 13 2017 - 04:18 PM

F  NY

• Mr. Shotgun and Lou G like this

#14 Brooklynshooter25

Brooklynshooter25

Sharp Shooter!

• 450 posts

Posted March 13 2017 - 04:23 PM

In 2010 when i got mine when the interview was over we shook hands and i was putting on my jacket to leave as i turned around to leave the investigator or i should say instigator blurted out so what are acceptable uses of the pistol i said with a smirk oh sorry thought you said we are done. Now he asked me that same question twice during the interview but i was so prepared and without even blinking i gave him the answer he was looking for. Even if concealed carry passes it will never ever be allowed in NYC it will be fought tooth and nail.

• Trailblazer and IronPatriot like this

#15 Trailblazer

Trailblazer

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • Others: Donated Member

• 1,208 posts

Posted March 13 2017 - 04:24 PM

By the time NYC issues a pistol permit the world may go up in smoke.....

• IronPatriot likes this

#16 IronPatriot

IronPatriot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted March 14 2017 - 12:45 PM

Yes,things at the license division have changed and things are backed up.When I retired in '13 all I had to do was fill out the app,show up with my retired ID card and "good guy letter" and I had my permit in less than an hour.A good friend of mine retired in March of '16 and when I spoke to him in Nov he still didnt have his permit yet.He'd been waiting 8 mos.,you've only been waiting 2 mos,be patient.I realize as a retired MOS we dont have to go thru the background like everybody else,and that was why it used to be so easy.Its not like that anymore since the shake up.I aint sayin its right,but we all know the NYPD can be very arbitrary when it comes to reasons for denial.I wouldnt be too quick to get lawyers involved before you get an answer.Its sucks that anybody has to jump thru hoops to get a license,but such is life in NYC.

Good to know, Stokes.  Thanks.

#17 IronPatriot

IronPatriot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted March 14 2017 - 12:49 PM

I've found reading those who post their gun permit timelines to be helpful.  So, I'll post my progress (or regress) here...

#18 IronPatriot

IronPatriot

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted March 14 2017 - 12:59 PM

How many applications do you think they could possibly be reviewing?  And, anyone know how many they allow per year?  Wondering how many people here are legally armed? 

#19 nyc_dawg1997

nyc_dawg1997

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 985 posts

Posted March 14 2017 - 01:31 PM

Gladly left NYC last summer, so I didn't have to renew mine.

A friend of mine looks like a typo on his license, suppose to be expire 2 years on 01-04-2017 but instead it says  11-04-2017, so it means he has 2 years and 11 months,  so he's in dilemma, is it really 11/04 or the girl just did a typo, he's nervous to call 1PP. So, he'll just wait till the renew letter comes.  

He even got few typo when they put the serial #  , luckily he checked before he left. 

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that we are responsible for any typo on the license because we suppose to check.

#20 only7rounds

only7rounds

Sharp Shooter!

• 372 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted March 14 2017 - 05:14 PM

Retired LEOs have had renewals back up one and two months past the expiration date.

Supposedly they are running background checks on everyone, and an Inspector has to sign off before they issue a renewal.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nyc, permit, home premise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users