Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

My visit to the nice folks at Long Island Ammo

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Steyr AUG man

Steyr AUG man

• Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted March 11 2017 - 02:09 AM

My friend had to run up some miles on his car to reset the ODBII system after a battery change to pass inspection, so we were looking for a place to go to put about 50 miles on the car. We decided to take a ride out to Long Island Ammo in East Northport. I see it mentioned on the site, but have never been there.  I needed some hardware store items also, so it was a useful trip. I got to meet Alan, Kim, and junior. They are the nicest folks you could meet in a LGS. We got nothing but friendly treatment from the time we walked in, until the time we left. It was certainly a welcomed change from the uncalled-for attitude you get when entering some of the gun shops here on Long Island for the first time. They acted like they were genuinely happy that we chose their store to go to. What a breath of fresh air.

Alan gave us a brief history of the historic 1800's era building, and its connection with the, at one time, end of the rail line.  Their location is literally right next to the Northport LIRR station. You could just walk to the end of the platform and you are at the store. We heard the history of the area, and how it was all farms back then. The building is like a museum exhibit, with creaky wooden floors and exposed rough-hewn beams that were carved by hand over a century ago. The tin ceiling in the hardware store area reminded me of my old precinct built around 1918, just without the bullet holes we had in our ceiling.

We chatted about hardware, guns, local history, beer brewing, and more guns. It was an interesting hour spent there. The place is cozy, but between the shooting supplies, brewing supplies, and huge selection of hardware items, you could really wander around there and lose track of time. They had a few nice used Model 10 revolvers in the case, probably former cop guns.  We discussed an old black powder Colt Navy my friend inherited  from his dad when he died. It will be the topic of a later thread here since he is looking for information regarding it.

It was nice seeing a family working together and treating strangers like they were old customers. I will surely go back there, especially since my friend has a couple more old cars that just got new batteries, and now need inspection also. That will be our destination again.

PS - On the way home, we found a great Japanese restaurant/lounge on Jericho tpke, Miko or something, that had excellent hibachi steak and shrimp. I am not big on that stuff, but it is the most delicious hibachi that i ever tried. if they were near me, i would eat there every week. Great rice, delicious steak, and big tasty shrimp. Writing this now, i wish i grabbed an order to go. i surely recommend a visit there if out that way. I figured since i gave my little LIF trip advisor report, i might as well throw that part of the night in also.

• Steveweck, ProGodProGunProLife and Tracee like this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 M-1 Carbine

M-1 Carbine

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2,115 posts
  • LocationBayshore

Posted March 11 2017 - 07:08 AM

Long Island Ammo has given me some really great deals, still owe them a box of donuts next time I'm up that way.

#3 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 7,335 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted March 11 2017 - 08:20 AM

I stopped in and was greeted by a young man asking me if I needed help. He walked me to the gun department and was helped by the young lady behind the counter. I mentioned to her about seeing the post about her inventory on LIF. I did see a few old police revolvers in the display case, but nothing that caught my eye. She mentioned that when they put a post of a firearm on the forum they sell fast. It was a nice friendly family owned business that deserves our support. I recommend it !
  • ProGodProGunProLife and Steyr AUG man like this

#4 Tracee

Tracee

Respected Gunowner

• 105 posts
  • LocationSea Cliff, NY

Posted March 11 2017 - 10:15 AM

Been there a few times, also - once even for some oddball hardware. Very helpful folks. The firearm / ammo section is at the back of the store, which gives you a chance to see all the beer-making gear on the way back there. Stocked up on some 5.56 which was a decent price. Highly recommended on many levels...

#5 bill3rail

bill3rail

Respected Gunowner

• 103 posts
  • LocationLI

Posted March 11 2017 - 10:33 AM

Made my first trip there two weeks ago, and was welcomed.  Bought some ammo and hardware. 

Thought it was odd they thought selling AR accessories would get them in trouble, then saw some things on shelves contrasting the statement!

Good place, I wish I lived closer to them, but then again, I could not afford to live too close.

Bill

#6 dank27

dank27

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 948 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted March 12 2017 - 10:32 AM

They are great.

#7 ProGodProGunProLife

ProGodProGunProLife

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 6,096 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted March 12 2017 - 10:44 AM

Great store!

#8 38 sup

38 sup

Gun Guru

• 530 posts
  • Locationkings park

Posted March 12 2017 - 12:21 PM

Karp is my local hardware store so when Alan started with long island ammo to me it was a home run and they are great people, but now I spend too much money there.lol
  • ProGodProGunProLife likes this

#9 killian

killian

Retired

• Donated Member
  • 1,714 posts
  • LocationEastern Suffolk

Posted March 12 2017 - 12:39 PM

Great people, awesome shop.

#10 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• Topic Starter
  • LIF Site Moderator

• 10,078 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted March 13 2017 - 05:41 PM

All they need is a bourbon and cigar bar and it would be the ultimate man cave.

#11 Steyr AUG man

Steyr AUG man

• Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted March 13 2017 - 06:46 PM

All they need is a bourbon and cigar bar and it would be the ultimate man cave.

Yeah, no doubt

#12 lucija

lucija

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 633 posts

Posted March 16 2017 - 07:12 PM

Great people, awesome shop.

Can't agree more. Alan is a stand up guy.

#13 topcathr

topcathr

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Locationnorthport ny

Posted April 27 2017 - 08:06 AM

I just had a gun transfer there last week charged 40.00 made all the contacts. You will never get anything but nice treatment and respect form them .  They will answer any question and they know their stuff.......I have been hunting over 40 years and there is nothing I hate more than to be spoken to like I started shooting last week. Not here.....and they have ammo for good prices.......

#14 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• Topic Starter
  • LIF Site Moderator

• 10,078 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted April 27 2017 - 09:40 AM

I just had a gun transfer there last week charged 40.00 made all the contacts. You will never get anything but nice treatment and respect form them .  They will answer any question and they know their stuff.......I have been hunting over 40 years and there is nothing I hate more than to be spoken to like I started shooting last week. Not here.....and they have ammo for good prices.......

Can't agree more great shop super nice people.

Plus you get a go on the down low. 

ME " Hey honey I have to run to the hardware store be back in a little bit"

HER " where "

ME " Karp's Hardware Oh I'm going to pick up a beer kit while I'm there"

HER " OK hurry back"

:)

#15 Steyr AUG man

Steyr AUG man

• Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted April 27 2017 - 10:18 AM

Can't agree more great shop super nice people.

Plus you get a go on the down low. 

ME " Hey honey I have to run to the hardware store be back in a little bit"

HER " where "

ME " Karp's Hardware Oh I'm going to pick up a beer kit while I'm there"

HER " OK hurry back"

:)

not my lady.

she would be like:

"no way, dont give me that hardware store crap. thats that damn gun store you were excited about. you'll be gone all day again. There's shit you were gonna do around here today."

• Camaro45th likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users