Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Shed Hunting?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Brooklynite

Brooklynite

Sharp Shooter!

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 442 posts

Posted March 08 2017 - 10:51 AM

There have to be places to find some nice whitetail sheds out in suffolk county. Does anybody have advice on where and when to start looking? Or tips in general?

I've never found anything good, but I'm not usually out in the woods in the early spring and never went out with finding antlers as a goal. This year I'd like to change that.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 7,031 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted March 08 2017 - 11:19 AM

There have to be places to find some nice whitetail sheds out in suffolk county. Does anybody have advice on where and when to start looking? Or tips in general?

I've never found anything good, but I'm not usually out in the woods in the early spring and never went out with finding antlers as a goal. This year I'd like to change that.

In January upstate is the best time if there is no snow. Look in open fields along a fence or rock wall. In the spring Turkey season guys would find sheds.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20150416_142421.jpg

#3 Brooklynite

Brooklynite

Sharp Shooter!

• 442 posts

Posted March 09 2017 - 04:20 PM

Thanks, I'm hoping to do a spring turkey hunt upstate this year, so I'll keep an eye open for them.

No good spots out in Suffolk? I guess any large public land out there will do...

#4 Countrylife307

Countrylife307

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationEast Meadow NY

Posted March 23 2017 - 08:08 PM

i have heard that captree state park was good spot my grandfather always went there and got a bunch 

#5 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 3,939 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted March 24 2017 - 12:32 PM

I think your grandfather meant Robert Moses State Park.  (One more bridge to cross, lol.)  Fire Island has tons of deer and some have pretty good racks.   Tons of ticks too.

#6 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 9,688 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted March 24 2017 - 08:34 PM

My buddies golden just started bring them home one day

#7 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,031 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted March 25 2017 - 07:03 AM

This is one of many heavy deer trails on my property. I hope we have one week of sunny warm temperatures to melt most of the snow.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20170323_150605094.jpg

#8 mak00

mak00

Gun Guru

• 2,334 posts

Posted March 25 2017 - 07:27 AM

You have a better chance of finding them early in the year. Wait too long & the mice, squirels, opossums...  will devour them.

• boosti likes this

#9 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,031 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted March 25 2017 - 08:48 AM

You have a better chance of finding them early in the year. Wait too long & the mice, squirels, opossums...  will devour them.

One of the locals was out in January finding antlers. This was Upstate when most bucks are dropping them. On Long Island, I have seen them in March still with racks. As you mentioned, the sheds won't last very long.

#10 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,031 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted March 25 2017 - 09:00 AM

I found this last spring during the spring Turkey season in May.

Attached Thumbnails

• NCM_2247.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users