Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

12 vs 20 gauge recoil

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Plinkster88

Plinkster88

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSuffolk county

Posted February 22 2017 - 10:41 PM

Is there a noticeable difference between 20 gauge and 12 gauge shotgun in recoil?

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 FDEMTNYC

FDEMTNYC

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 389 posts
  • LocationBethpage

Posted February 22 2017 - 10:59 PM

Never fired a 20ga, but I think it would safe to say a 20ga would be slightly less being that it's a smaller shell.

#3 Ancap

Ancap

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 149 posts

Posted February 22 2017 - 11:03 PM

Yes, but the 20 gauge can still cause recoil fatigue over time

Proper fitting stock, weight and holds would probably help more then going to a smaller gauge

Plus you can make 12 gauge shells with 20 gauge loads or even lighter

#4 FDEMTNYC

FDEMTNYC

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 389 posts
  • LocationBethpage

Posted February 22 2017 - 11:11 PM

Just avoid 3" 12ga slugs. Lol

#5 Ancap

Ancap

Respected Gunowner

• 149 posts

Posted February 22 2017 - 11:14 PM

ChuckHawk has great recoil table charts

28 gauge is the way to go, but slugs and buckshot are hard to find

http://www.chuckhawk...ecoil_table.htm

#6 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: , , ,
  • 5,006 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, all the time

Posted February 23 2017 - 07:58 AM

20 gauge, 28 gauge and .410 have about the same recoil as accidentally bumping into a person. 12 gauge, especially 3 1/2 inch shot shells, is more like a gentle mule's kick.

Gary

• metanoeos likes this

#7 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 3,994 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted February 23 2017 - 08:18 AM

I have both and the difference is definitely "felt."   I have "relegated" my Mossberg 12 ga to a slug gun for deer.   Not the biggest guy, and carrying a Medicare card now, so I rely on one of those laser light phony shotshells for sighting the gun in now.   Bench shooting with slugs can be problematic for me, anticipating the shot too much.   I did get a Knoxx Blackhawk recoil reducing stock  for it, which does lessen the recoil. but just use a youth stock now since its just a deer gun for me now.  As for shooting deer with slugs, which magnify recoil over shotshells, I hardly hear or feel a thing, just the adrenaline screwing up my heartbeat and breath control, lol.  That said, a deer rarely gets more than ten feet without dropping dead.   If I shoot clays, I will just take my O/U 20 ga and shoot as much as I want.   Good technique makes its recoil feel like an AR-15 shooting .223 compared to a 12 ga.

#8 mak00

mak00

Gun Guru

• 2,344 posts

Posted February 23 2017 - 10:07 AM

Is there a noticeable difference between 20 gauge and 12 gauge shotgun in recoil?

Yes, especially if your shooting slugs. 12 gauge will KICK hard.

In birdshot-  both 12 & 20 are manageable. 

imo.. 20ga is more fun to shoot.

#9 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 10,153 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted February 23 2017 - 10:10 AM

I can tell you that my sons 20ga with plastic furniture has the same felt recoil ans my 12ga. But our friends sons 20ga with wood furniture has much less felt recoil. All guns are 870 Remingtons.

#10 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• 10,575 posts

Posted February 23 2017 - 12:05 PM

Everyone skips over the loads being fired...   no matter the gauge, is you are firing a 1oz. load at say, 1100 feet per second -it doesn't matter if it's out of a 12ga or a 20ga.....  the energies, the recoil is going to be pretty much the same.

You can put heavy loads in a 20ga, and light loads in a 12ga....   

• NRATC53 and Ancap like this

#11 NRATC53

NRATC53

Soon to be Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 21,024 posts

Posted February 23 2017 - 05:03 PM

Never fired a 20ga, but I think it would safe to say a 20ga would be slightly less being that it's a smaller shell.

Everyone skips over the loads being fired...   no matter the gauge, is you are firing a 1oz. load at say, 1100 feet per second -it doesn't matter if it's out of a 12ga or a 20ga.....  the energies, the recoil is going to be pretty much the same.

You can put heavy loads in a 20ga, and light loads in a 12ga....   

Yes, AND the fact that a 20 ga shotgun is usually has bit less mass leading to more felt recoil. The 3" 20 ga shell came out as a way to compensate for lack of power/pellets, something it fails at, it has just as much felt recoil as most 12 ga loads. IF you are talking about newer shooters, the NRA strongly recommends a properly fitting 12 ga shotgun with light loads, to build success faster. Do I have a 28 ga? Yes, and even in a muzzle loader. Would I want to try and hit things with it for an inexperienced shooter? - No way

• Parashooter likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users