Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Used Guns?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 TwentyTimes

TwentyTimes

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 104 posts
  • LocationHolbrook

Posted February 19 2017 - 09:44 PM

I want to buy a .22, Something sumilar to the Ruger SR22.

For the sake of my marriage, i need to decrease spending so used may be a good options.

What do you look for in a used gun?
  • Trailblazer likes this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Jaredwii

Jaredwii

Respected Gunowner

• 131 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County, ISLIP

Posted February 19 2017 - 10:24 PM

Get something like Phoenix Arms or Cobra. theyre extremely cheap for almost $110 but you can find them cheaper if you look around more.

#3 bill3rail

bill3rail

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 83 posts
  • LocationLI

Posted February 19 2017 - 11:31 PM

Obviously, the first thing I look for is  wear.  Has it been rode hard and put away wet?

Is is significantly cheaper than new?  I have seen used guns at 90% of new prices!

Plenty of good cheap .22's around new, why buy used?  Bring lunch to work for the next two months and you will have saved enough cash to buy a brand new 10/22!

#4 Banzai

Banzai

Gun Guru

• 2,162 posts

Posted February 20 2017 - 04:07 AM

Best thing is to find someone who has a safe queen they're looking to part with, those are the guns they either impulse bought or just never had time to use. I bought a used high end shotgun once from a fellow member in here, got a great price on it, and the money I saved went into a few custom upgrades along with a few gunsmithing tweaks I did that made it a 3 gun dream. Used can be a great deal for everybody. And sometimes you can score a bonus like a custom trigger kit or a sight upgrade, all the better.

#5 FDEMTNYC

FDEMTNYC

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 389 posts
  • LocationBethpage

Posted February 20 2017 - 07:21 AM

I recently picked up a Mossberg Plinkster for $129 brand new. For the money it shoots great.

#6 M-1 Carbine

M-1 Carbine

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2,112 posts
  • LocationBayshore

Posted February 20 2017 - 08:41 AM

Like some have already said if you are thinking .22 used can be a great buy but check out the Marlin Model 60 for the price you can beat it.

If you are thinking larger caliber, I have many used gun that I have no problem with but you really can't beat new. When you get down to shooting for accuracy it better to know you have "new" everything that way you know if its you or the gun. 

• ProGodProGunProLife likes this

#7 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12,095 posts
  • LocationRunning with the spirits of the Nesaquake & Caleb Smith

Posted February 20 2017 - 10:45 AM

edit- delete

Edited by Destro, February 20 2017 - 10:47 AM.

#8 lonewolf5347

lonewolf5347

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1,444 posts

Posted February 20 2017 - 12:00 PM

Semi auto used :always test fire it with different ammo when buying from a private party

Dealers : that is a flip of the coin 

#9 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,057 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted February 20 2017 - 12:54 PM

With most .22 LR pistols. Most are finicky and very ammo sensitive. You can find quality brand new semi automatic pistols priced very reasonable. Any problems take it back and the company will repair it.
  • NRATC53 likes this

#10 HyFiveGuns

HyFiveGuns

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 109 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted February 20 2017 - 06:54 PM

Buy an SR-22.  It's not expensive and fun as hell.  When I first looked at them months ago, I didn't like it too much.  Then I needed something for my wife's small hands and picked one up.  Now, I love the thing.  

#11 TwentyTimes

TwentyTimes

Respected Gunowner

• 104 posts
  • LocationHolbrook

Posted March 01 2017 - 08:18 PM

Buy an SR-22. It's not expensive and fun as hell. When I first looked at them months ago, I didn't like it too much. Then I needed something for my wife's small hands and picked one up. Now, I love the thing.

I think I'm heading that route. For the $350 it'll cost, it's worth it for the ammo savings. (That's my story)
  • NRATC53 likes this

#12 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 9,698 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted March 04 2017 - 09:06 AM

I'm trading in my MKII 22/45 for a new MKIIII 22/45 in a little bit. I like the new upgrades.

#13 Camaro45th

Camaro45th

Sharp Shooter!

• 302 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted March 04 2017 - 09:32 AM

I don't remember if I saw it this week or last but I got an email from field and stream that all of the 10/22 models were on "sale". I bought my stainless for I think $260 last year around his time.

#14 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,057 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted March 04 2017 - 09:34 AM

I don't remember if I saw it this week or last but I got an email from field and stream that all of the 10/22 models were on "sale". I bought my stainless for I think $260 last year around his time.

You should buy the takedown model

#15 Camaro45th

Camaro45th

Sharp Shooter!

• 302 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted March 04 2017 - 09:37 AM

You should buy the takedown model

I didn't like it. While it seemed like a cool concept, both myself and the salesman had a hard time breaking it apart. For the extra $100, I'd rather use it towards ammo or a scope or a bag or all 3 lol

#16 Electraglide38

Electraglide38

Marksman

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 76 posts

Posted March 04 2017 - 11:30 AM

A friend taught me this. "I buy my guns like I buy my condums, new and in the box" just my .02 cents!!!
  • boosti likes this

#17 TwentyTimes

TwentyTimes

Respected Gunowner

• 104 posts
  • LocationHolbrook

Posted March 18 2017 - 05:21 PM

Buy an SR-22. It's not expensive and fun as hell. When I first looked at them months ago, I didn't like it too much. Then I needed something for my wife's small hands and picked one up. Now, I love the thing.

I have 1 going back to Ruger on Monday. I love shooting it, when it shoots - but the fIlure to feeds, failure to ejects and double feeds are too frustrating.

#18 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,057 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted March 18 2017 - 05:33 PM

I have 1 going back to Ruger on Monday. I love shooting it, when it shoots - but the fIlure to feeds, failure to ejects and double feeds are too frustrating.

What type of ammunition are you using. Some of these semi automatic .22 LR requires a 40 grain high velocity bullet. The one .22 LR Pistol worked great with Remington Thunderbolts which is very dirty.

#19 LarryD23

LarryD23

Respected Gunowner

• 288 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted March 18 2017 - 08:40 PM

I took my brand new Beretta 9M-22 to the range for the first time today. I planned on playing with the 22 for a little while before switching to my Colt. I had so much fun, the Colt never left my range bag.The grips are a little too large and not "grippy" enough  for me, so I'll probably put on a pair of Wilson Combat Ultra Thin G-10 grips. Other than that, this is an amazingly fun handgun. A little pricey for a 22, but worth every penny.

M922LR_main0012.jpg

#20 Steyr AUG man

Steyr AUG man

Gun Guru

• 734 posts

Posted March 19 2017 - 03:40 AM

Why dont you try a Beretta 21A. This way when they have the federal reciprocity law passed, you could drop it in your front pocket and hit 95 South for a trip down south in your t-shirt and shorts. I've had mine for over 30 years, and it is a fun little gun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users