Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Looking for a Suffolk County shop that has a range so you can test fire?

suffolk

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 puck

puck

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted February 14 2017 - 01:51 PM

Hi folks,

Brand new to the forum.  Happy to say after approximately a year I finally acquired my Suffolk County license!   Now that I am licensed I would like to get my first pistol.  Question is is there a shop and range combo where I can go and test fire before purchasing in Suffolk?  Does such a place exist?  Preferably it would be in western Suffolk, fairly priced, and a staff that treats newbs ok.  Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 7,335 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted February 14 2017 - 01:54 PM

You can rent pistols at LISC. DSI in Oakdale and Forum sponsor has an indoor range. I don't believe they are renting Firearms yet.
I doubt any shop will let you test fire a pistol.
Best to see which handgun fits your hand and ask the salesman his opinion what would work best for you.

#3 ProGodProGunProLife

ProGodProGunProLife

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 6,096 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted February 14 2017 - 01:56 PM

Hi folks,

Brand new to the forum.  Happy to say after approximately a year I finally acquired my Suffolk County license!   Now that I am licensed I would like to get my first pistol.  Question is is there a shop and range combo where I can go and test fire before purchasing in Suffolk?  Does such a place exist?  Preferably it would be in western Suffolk, fairly priced, and a staff that treats newbs ok.  Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

Dark Storm Industries in Oakdale has a new range.  I'm not sure if they are renting guns yet, but their website mentions a rental program under development.

https://www.dark-sto...om/gun-rentals/

#4 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• 10,515 posts

Posted February 14 2017 - 02:08 PM

You might want to check out some places in NJ or PA - lots of ranges there with rentals, then you can come home and pick your shop to buy what you liked.

#5 Jaredwii

Jaredwii

Respected Gunowner

• 175 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County, ISLIP

Posted February 14 2017 - 06:12 PM

You can rent pistols at LISC. DSI in Oakdale and Forum sponsor has an indoor range. I don't believe they are renting Firearms yet.
I doubt any shop will let you test fire a pistol.
Best to see which handgun fits your hand and ask the salesman his opinion what would work best for you.

I didn't know they rented out pistols... All i see is few posters of rifles and prices.

#6 tom2009

tom2009

Respected Gunowner

• Donated Member
  • 139 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted February 14 2017 - 06:46 PM

Bensons on route 112 rents Pistols

#7 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: , , ,
  • 4,995 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, all the time

Posted February 15 2017 - 07:31 AM

Bensons on route 112 rents Pistols

Their range is called Executive Shooting Range and it's on the East side of Route 112, just South of LIE exit 64, in Medford. Benson's is the gun shop and gun smith portion, located at 35 Middle Country Rd., in Coram. Their phone is 631 736 0065.

Gary

#8 BLAMMO

BLAMMO

Lousy Shot

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 16,102 posts
  • LocationTrapped behind enemy lines

Posted February 15 2017 - 12:29 PM

You might want to check out some places in NJ or PA - lots of ranges there with rentals, then you can come home and pick your shop to buy what you liked.

Just be sure to bring someone with you. Most ranges that rent guns are getting into the habit of not renting to lone walk-ins. They sometimes use the range to snuff themselves.

#9 ProGodProGunProLife

ProGodProGunProLife

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 6,096 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted February 15 2017 - 01:16 PM

Just be sure to bring someone with you. Most ranges that rent guns are getting into the habit of not renting to lone walk-ins. They sometimes use the range to snuff themselves.

Yes, I know two of the more popular ranges in NJ have policies listed on their websites,  that lone men cannot rent without a NJ FOID card, but I believe they allow unaccompanied women to rent.  They don't say it, but is clearly is to prevent suicides with rented guns.  

#10 NRATC53

NRATC53

Soon to be Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 20,934 posts

Posted February 15 2017 - 01:54 PM

Ask around if someone else has one of what you're looking for, and you may be able to do a range meet, with someone who's not trying to sell you anything

• boosti, gcloss and dank27 like this

#11 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,335 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted February 15 2017 - 03:20 PM

Ask around if someone else has one of what you're looking for, and you may be able to do a range meet, with someone who's not trying to sell you anything

We had this one guy come to the club, he visited three times with shooting members various pistols. He shot over 100 rounds out of members pistols. The odd part was on his third visit, he never returned once he had a member say to him bring ammo if you want to try another pistol.
  • TJ Ironhorse likes this

#12 NRATC53

NRATC53

Soon to be Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 20,934 posts

Posted February 15 2017 - 05:22 PM

We had this one guy come to the club, he visited three times with shooting members various pistols. He shot over 100 rounds out of members pistols. The odd part was on his third visit, he never returned once he had a member say to him bring ammo if you want to try another pistol.

Oh Hell no! If he wanted to try them, he should have paid for ammo up front. I didn't think I had to say that, but then again, scumsuckers everywhere

• mickeyblueyes and Camaro45th like this

#13 rlitman

rlitman

Gun Guru

• 1,911 posts
  • LocationBellmore

Posted February 15 2017 - 08:41 PM

Yes, I know two of the more popular ranges in NJ have policies listed on their websites, that lone men cannot rent without a NJ FOID card, but I believe they allow unaccompanied women to rent. They don't say it, but is clearly is to prevent suicides with rented guns.

I suspect that a valid NYS license would be fine too.

#14 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 3,970 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted February 16 2017 - 09:06 AM

Oh Hell no! If he wanted to try them, he should have paid for ammo up front. I didn't think I had to say that, but then again, scumsuckers everywhere

I was going to suggest this (bringing your own ammo with you to try others' guns if they offer) but thought that some shops might only allow you to buy ammo if its a caliber already on your license.   But this is not the norm, most shops and big box stores at most will only ask to see a pistol license and never look at the back.   Besides which, there are carbines that shoot 9mm. 45cal, .38 and of course .22.      My single recommendation is to select a .22 as your first or one of your first handguns.   although the ammo isn't as cheap as it was (none of my bricks cost me more than $15. lol ) it still can be had and the lack of recoil (unless you are an experienced shooter and just didn't have a NY license) avails itself to better marksmanship skill training starting out.

#15 NRATC53

NRATC53

Soon to be Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 20,934 posts

Posted February 16 2017 - 08:48 PM

I was going to suggest this (bringing your own ammo with you to try others' guns if they offer) but thought that some shops might only allow you to buy ammo if its a caliber already on your license.   But this is not the norm, most shops and big box stores at most will only ask to see a pistol license and never look at the back.   Besides which, there are carbines that shoot 9mm. 45cal, .38 and of course .22.      My single recommendation is to select a .22 as your first or one of your first handguns.   although the ammo isn't as cheap as it was (none of my bricks cost me more than $15. lol ) it still can be had and the lack of recoil (unless you are an experienced shooter and just didn't have a NY license) avails itself to better marksmanship skill training starting out.

Best to ask the prospective lender "I'd like to buy the ammo- What kind do you use?" and go from there

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suffolk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users