Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Norinco SKS Info?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Jaredwii

Jaredwii

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 165 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County, ISLIP

Posted February 12 2017 - 07:28 PM

Recently i started an topic about Troy pump action but then i spotted this nice SKS in good/great condition without any crack or rust but there's some scratches which doesn't bothers me that much anyway i brought it right away for $300 and i sort of got confused with serial numbers in year of production.. I've been looking around online to find some answers but i got mixed answers from bunch of Forums so i figure why not ask everyone on here.  The serial numbers is 24001411 

Attached Files

• Attached File  s.jpg   16.35KB   4 downloads
  • Attached File  d.jpg   32.73KB   5 downloads
  • Attached File  f.jpg   28.04KB   3 downloads
  • Attached File  g.jpg   41.34KB   2 downloads

• ProGodProGunProLife likes this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 12,110 posts
  • LocationRunning with the spirits of the Nesaquake & Caleb Smith

Posted February 12 2017 - 07:47 PM

First you need to find the Factory code, then you can go off the additional info like serial numbers

factorycode41-1.jpg

Scroll down this page, it has all you need.

http://www.milsurps....ead.php?t=26665

By that number it's possibly a later model. Hmmm..not sure what it has that spike bayo, unless it's a paratrooper or someone put another one on? Don't know, need better pics.

Most type 56s have a bayo/stock like this:

ad7339cd3f6dd0d88feecbcae99a3c2f.jpg

Edited by Destro, February 12 2017 - 07:54 PM.

#3 Jaredwii

Jaredwii

Respected Gunowner

• 165 posts

Posted February 12 2017 - 07:52 PM

First you need to find the Factory code, then you can go off the additional info like serial numbers

factorycode41-1.jpg

Scroll down this page, it has all you need.

http://www.milsurps....ead.php?t=26665

Look like its 36

#4 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12,110 posts

Posted February 12 2017 - 07:56 PM

Well, go to that page and read up. Only you can figure it out, it's all there... it's an intricate process.

Is that spike bayo something someone put on later? Just caught my eye right away. Most Type 56s have a bayo that looks like this:

Anyway 300 bucks is a fair deal nowadays so good luck!

Edited by Destro, February 12 2017 - 07:57 PM.

#5 CommonSense

CommonSense

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 3,743 posts
  • LocationSouth Shore Nassau

Posted February 12 2017 - 07:58 PM

could be 1980

• Jaredwii likes this

#6 Jaredwii

Jaredwii

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 165 posts

Posted February 12 2017 - 07:59 PM

Well, go to that page and read up. Only you can figure it out, it's all there... it's an intricate process.

Is that spike bayo something someone put on later? Just caught my eye right away. Most Type 56s have a bayo that looks like this:

Chinese sks normally have Spike bayonet but their earlier models have blade before turned to Spike due to impenetrable some heavy armor. I think my SKS is somewhere in 1980ish

#7 Jaredwii

Jaredwii

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 165 posts

Posted February 12 2017 - 09:02 PM

Chinese sks normally have Spike bayonet but their earlier models have blade before turned to Spike due to impenetrable some heavy armor. I think my SKS is somewhere in 1980ish

So after 1980 is Commercial rather than miltary models? 

#8 Jaredwii

Jaredwii

Respected Gunowner

• 165 posts

Posted February 12 2017 - 09:09 PM

could be 1980

My mistake. its actually in 1979.. 

#9 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• Topic Starter
  • LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 9,932 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted February 12 2017 - 09:15 PM

Very nice 300 is a really good deal for a none cosmoline slug.
Do uo have a picture of the bottom of the stocknwhere the bayo folds in to it may make it easir to figure if it the right type.
  • Jaredwii likes this

#10 Jaredwii

Jaredwii

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 165 posts

Posted February 12 2017 - 09:17 PM

#11 Jaredwii

Jaredwii

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 165 posts

Posted February 12 2017 - 09:23 PM

Very nice 300 is a really good deal for a none cosmoline slug.
Do uo have a picture of the bottom of the stocknwhere the bayo folds in to it may make it easir to figure if it the right type.

Thanks and here the pic.

Attached Files

• Attached File  b.jpg   13.3KB   3 downloads

#12 Jaredwii

Jaredwii

Respected Gunowner

• 165 posts

Posted February 12 2017 - 09:24 PM

http://chinesesks.we...--23-25mil.html  Completely details for my Rifle in that link.  Thank you for the help.   :thankyou

#13 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator

• 9,932 posts

Posted February 13 2017 - 04:54 PM

Thanks and here the pic.

My SKS has a bayo not a spike my cut looks different narrower.

#14 set2374

set2374

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • 451 posts
  • LocationEast Rockaway

Posted February 13 2017 - 05:24 PM

Curious why you would switch for a PAR to an SKS.  Totally different weapons.  Anyway, $300 for any SKS in good condition is a good deal.  That said, although the Norinco's are good weapons, there is a huge difference in quality between the Norinco and the SKSs built by Tula or Zastava.   I would spend a $150 more for one of the European SKSs.   You can definitely find Yugo's in good to great condition for $400 to $450.   Russians in good to great condition will cost you $600 or more.   Given the choice, Yugos are the best SKS value at the moment.   

#15 Jaredwii

Jaredwii

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 165 posts

Posted February 13 2017 - 07:05 PM

Curious why you would switch for a PAR to an SKS.  Totally different weapons.  Anyway, $300 for any SKS in good condition is a good deal.  That said, although the Norinco's are good weapons, there is a huge difference in quality between the Norinco and the SKSs built by Tula or Zastava.   I would spend a $150 more for one of the European SKSs.   You can definitely find Yugo's in good to great condition for $400 to $450.   Russians in good to great condition will cost you $600 or more.   Given the choice, Yugos are the best SKS value at t

Well almost everyone from the shop (DSI) told me to not to get it because of pump action on AR style configuration would get stuck on some ammo then i went to my local pawn to pay off electric bills and spotted this nice SKS which basically grandfather of the AK so i had to grab it since i like 7.62X39 i shot earlier with my old friend from PA. He has Zastava AK but sadly i cant have it in NY without cut the pistol grip in half... Pretty much this is closest thing i could get to AK without butchering anything.

#16 Jaredwii

Jaredwii

Respected Gunowner

• 165 posts

Posted February 13 2017 - 07:07 PM

My SKS has a bayo not a spike my cut looks different narrower.

your SKS would be Earliest model of production unless its something else like Yugo or Russian.

#17 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• Topic Starter
  • LIF Site Moderator

• 9,932 posts

Posted February 13 2017 - 07:27 PM

your SKS would be Earliest model of production unless its something else like Yugo or Russian.

No shes a old china girl it had so much cosmoline it took me a week of soaking the barreled actoin and othe mettal part to get the Cozmo off and out of them. The stock was a different story of pain and suffering. But she look good and shoots great.
Your look good and the price was great.
  • Jaredwii likes this

#18 Jaredwii

Jaredwii

Respected Gunowner

• 165 posts

Posted February 13 2017 - 07:28 PM

No shes a old china girl it had so much cosmoline it took me a week of soaking the barreled actoin and othe mettal part to get the Cozmo off and out of them. The stock was a different story of pain and suffering. But she look good and shoots great.
Your look good and the price was great.

Glad to see your SKS works without any problem but yeah Cosmoline is PITA to remove but worth your time in the end.

#19 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 12,110 posts

Posted February 13 2017 - 07:32 PM

Well almost everyone from the shop (DSI) told me to not to get it because of pump action on AR style configuration would get stuck on some ammo then i went to my local pawn to pay off electric bills and spotted this nice SKS which basically grandfather of the AK so i had to grab it since i like 7.62X39 i shot earlier with my old friend from PA. He has Zastava AK but sadly i cant have it in NY without cut the pistol grip in half... Pretty much this is closest thing i could get to AK without butchering anything.

The closest thing to an AK you can get would be a sporterized Saiga. It is a mil spec AK barrel and a dimpled Russian AK receiver, the heart and guts of any true AKM, and it is made in the the same factory that military AK74s are made. Sure, the BAFTE import restrictions (not the embargo, but import rules preventing mil style guns which have been around for decades) require "evil" features to be neutered for stateside import, but there is a reason it is the platform for most AK builds in free states (including Arsenals and small custom shops like Red Jacket and Tromix). In free states you can still score real E. European AKMs for the same price as SKSs go for.

Attached File  Saiga_x7 (2).jpg   452.72KB   3 downloads

Even before SAFE there was a lot of stuff you could do with sporters that would make them more AK-ish without doing a pistol grip conversion, and they still function and shoot closest to an AK even in a sporter config.

Attached File  saiga_temp_pistolgrip.jpg   183.65KB   1 downloads

Attached File  SaigaButtstocks.jpg   199.38KB   1 downloads

Now the Siminov is a different action and design entirely, but a great history in Comblock countries and a nice addition to any collection, but really a different animal that a Kalashnikov, though they share the legacy 7.62x39mm round. I own several SKSs and several Saigas and if I was starting out and could only own one, if would be a Saiga hands down for several reasons. Still for the money an SKS is good rifle to add these days, but not nearly as versatile and dependable as a detachable mag Saiga (which of course go for a lot more now).

Attached File  SKSsss.jpg   588.58KB   2 downloads

Now, funny that DSI would tell you that as they've sold PARs. Their reputation on here and other boards is very mixed to say the least. You will find that some local gun stores give out very erroneous information, sometimes have even sold dubious items, and you can look up reputations and such incidents on the forums. Prior to SAFE we had pre-ban guns and items which were much more expensive, and there was a lot of confusion with some shops on the legality or classification of said guns. Gun shops sometimes give out very wrong information or are not that informed.

\I'd get acquainted with several local stores, and continue doing your hw on shops on here and other local gun forums. Good luck!

Edited by Destro, February 13 2017 - 07:42 PM.

• Jaredwii likes this

#20 Jaredwii

Jaredwii

Respected Gunowner

• 165 posts

Posted February 13 2017 - 07:41 PM

The closest thing to an AK you can get would be a sporterized Saiga. It is a mil spec AK barrel and a dimpled Russian AK receiver, the heart and guts of any true AKM, and it is made in the the same factory that military AK74s are made. Sure, the BAFTE import restrictions (not the embargo, but import rules preventing mil style guns which have been around for decades) require "evil" features to be neutered for stateside import, but there is a reason it is the platform for most AK builds in free states (including Arsenals and small custom shops like Red Jacket and Tromix). In free states you can still score real E. European AKMs for the same price as SKSs go for.

attachicon.gifSaiga_x7 (2).jpg

Even before SAFE there was a lot of stuff you could do with sporters that would make them more AK-ish without doing a pistol grip conversion, and they still function and shoot closest to an AK even in a sporter config.

attachicon.gifsaiga_temp_pistolgrip.jpg

attachicon.gifSaigaButtstocks.jpg

Now the Siminov is a different action and design entirely, but a great history in Comblock countries and a nice addition to any collection, but really a different animal that a Kalashnikov, though they share the legacy 7.62x39mm round. I own several SKSs and several Saigas and if I was starting out and could only own one, if would be a Saiga hands down for several reasons. Still for the money an SKS is good rifle to add these days, but not nearly as versatile and dependable as a detachable mag Saiga (which of course go for a lot more now).

attachicon.gifSKSsss.jpg

Now, funny that DSI would tell you that as they've sold PARs. Their reputation on here and other boards is very mixed to say the least. You will find that some local gun stores give out very erroneous information, sometimes have even sold dubious items, and you can look up reputations and such incidents on the forums.

\I'd get acquainted with several local stores, and continue doing your hw on shops on here and other local gun forums. Good luck!

Say, these pics is really nice.. but i'll definitely keep them in mind when i'm in the mood for another gun, Right now SKS need some love for awhile (restoration)  :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users