Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

NRA BoD Candidates

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 NRATC53

NRATC53

Soon to be Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 20,835 posts

Posted February 02 2017 - 09:12 PM

Every voting member should have received a ballot in their NRA Magazine, those with digital subscriptions will get a ballot by mail. Please take the time to fill out your ballot and mail it in. It drives me nuts to see magazines lying around with ballots still inside. Having the opportunity to know quite a few past and present NRA Board members, I'd like to offer my 2c on the ballot for those who might hav e questions about a daunting task- Choosing 1/3 of the folks who will run America's largest 2A rights organization...

While you DO need folks with MBAs etc, they should not make up the whole Board. As I see it, you need different types of folks on the Board. You need some folks with vision, to help set the future goals for the organization, you need managerial types, who can foresee where resources should be apportioned and plot the course to get there, you need folks with name recognition or other credentials to get you in the rooms where you need to discuss policy with lawmakers and discuss contributions with heavy hitters and you need grassroots folks who know how it gets done in the ground game. John is a good fit because he knows the ground game, and has 30 years on the NYS Conservation Council and many legislators cell phone numbers

A bit about John-
SAFE President, one of SASI's founding members and SAFE 's as well. originated and still a big part of 2A Civil Rights Conference right here on LI, met with Duwayne Gregory after the hearings and got the Safe Storage bill killed in Suffolk (we have the letter from Gregory), part of Trap & Skeet relocation committee and when Browning ignored him he wrote and filed a Minority report showing that there was no place better suited than the current facility, and many other 2A fights he's won for us. He's a tireless fighter for 2A rights. Actively serves on NRA Board and Board of Whittington Center, serves on Veterans committee in NRA and several others. USMC Vet, NRA Instructor, spread Women on Target Clinics on LI and a big part of getting the program changed from an afterthought of NRA to an integral part of NRA Training/Grassroots

John Cushman

Linda Walker

Alan Cors

Jay Printz

all good solid folks who do a lot for the NRA

vote for who YOU want, I'm just filling in some details for folks who might not be aware

Edited by NRATC53, February 02 2017 - 09:20 PM.

• Parashooter, anothersteve and RJG like this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member + Classifieds
  • 10,468 posts

Posted February 02 2017 - 11:16 PM

I agree with all of Bill's points - additionally, I'll mention that you MAY vote for up to 25 - you are not REQUIRED to.   I only vote for the candidates that I really want elected...  extra votes for others actually dilute the power of your vote.

John Cushman works his ass off for our rights - some here may have a dislike for him, but the fact remains he's done a good job for us, and continues to work hard for our rights Here in New York.

Meanwhile we've got "celebrity" board members who I've heard from different sources are never there...  

and then there's "celebrity" board member Erik Estrada - I'm still trying to figure that one out - He has been seen on ANTI_GUN commercials.... He should have never been elected.  

Use your votes wisely.

• RoadRage and RJG like this

#3 NRATC53

NRATC53

Soon to be Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 20,835 posts

Posted February 03 2017 - 08:27 AM

Tom Selleck, R. Lee Ermey etc will get enough votes no matter what, purely on name recognition. It is important to vote for folks who actually get things done

• Parashooter, gcloss and RJG like this

#4 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • Others: , , ,
  • 4,989 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, all the time

Posted February 03 2017 - 08:40 AM

Well, I agree with at least a part of what is said: "Use your votes wisely." Unfortunately, I and the county federations do not agree that Mr. Cushman should be considered a viable candidate. He is a phony and a liar. For the better part of 20 years, Mr. Cushman laid claim, in his NRA election bids, to an undergraduate degree in industrial labor relations and a law degree, with a specialty in labor relations, both from Cornell University. Mr. Cushman never matriculated at ANY college of university, let alone graduated from one. He did, however, take a few non-credit, adult education courses, in those subjects, at Cornell EXTENSION, for which he received a certificate of attendance/completion.

In his NRA Director Spotlight biography, he also claimed to have spent his "39 year professional career in the trucking industry, working with its powerful unions." That's a direct quote. In fact, he spent his "professional career" as a truck driver.

His NRA bio data has also made several spurious claims, regarding his activities, within the Suffolk Alliance of Sportsmen, Inc., from which he was ousted, many years ago.

NRA's Ethics Committee finally told him to stop making false claims and NRA even published the confirmation that Mr. Cushman does not hold any degrees.

See the attached PDFs, for documentation.

Gary

Attached Files

#5 NRATC53

NRATC53

Soon to be Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 20,835 posts

Posted February 03 2017 - 09:47 AM

Gary, I have purposely stayed away from your post on NRA BoD recommendations, hoping you would have the decency to do the same. Obviously, that didn't happen. Your personal hatred and jealousy toward John are well known. If John sat down today and did nothing more to help 2A, you would have to work hard over several lifetimes to do 1/10th of what he's done. Your long crusade against him, including your unsuccessful effort to get him thrown out of NRA is well documented. Could you please stop? John used the word degree instead of certificate. Oh my God the horror. You make a big deal that John  is a retired Truck Driver- So what? He's done more in the legislative arena than you or your degrees ever will. John wasn't "ousted" from SASI, he left when it became a mutual back-patting club instead of a useful tool for Sportsmen and women. This bothers you no end. Get over it. or don't- but stop the childish nonsense

• Parashooter, gcloss and RJG like this

#6 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

• Club LIF Member
  • 4,989 posts

Posted February 03 2017 - 10:33 AM

Gary, I have purposely stayed away from your post on NRA BoD recommendations, hoping you would have the decency to do the same. Obviously, that didn't happen. Your personal hatred and jealousy toward John are well known. If John sat down today and did nothing more to help 2A, you would have to work hard over several lifetimes to do 1/10th of what he's done. Your long crusade against him, including your unsuccessful effort to get him thrown out of NRA is well documented. Could you please stop? John used the word degree instead of certificate. Oh my God the horror. You make a big deal that John  is a retired Truck Driver- So what? He's done more in the legislative arena than you or your degrees ever will. John wasn't "ousted" from SASI, he left when it became a mutual back-patting club instead of a useful tool for Sportsmen and women. This bothers you no end. Get over it. or don't- but stop the childish nonsense

Bill:

I know, as well as do many others, that you have, unfortunately, become an apologist for Mr. Cushman. Regardless of what you say, you cannot change the facts. Trying to throw mud, on me, in this way, is like Obama using the race card, every time anyone disagreed with him or his ideas of what is right. If people still choose to vote for Mr. Cushman, after they know the facts, so be it but they are entitled to the facts. And, no Bill, he was ousted from SASI, told never to return. He was, also, given the opportunity to quietly resign or be ousted, from NYSRPA, until Tom King brought him back.

Gary

#7 Lou G

Lou G

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 593 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted February 03 2017 - 10:51 AM

Gary, I have to agree with Bill on this. I was a SASI board  member and I was at the meeting, No one was ousted we all resigned .  You were not on the board at that time and did not have to put up with the stupidity and back stabbing that took place. John has done more for gun community than any body I know and I have been involved in this fight since the 70's. Your dislike for John is well known in the gun community. posting it on a public forum shows fragmentation in the community and a total lack of good judgment.

• NRATC53, Parashooter and RJG like this

#8 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 4,989 posts

Posted February 03 2017 - 11:07 AM

Gary, I have to agree with Bill on this. I was a SASI board  member and I was at the meeting, No one was ousted we all resigned .  You were not on the board at that time and did not have to put up with the stupidity and back stabbing that took place. John has done more for gun community than any body I know and I have been involved in this fight since the 70's. Your dislike for John is well known in the gun community. posting it on a public forum shows fragmentation in the community and a total lack of good judgment.

Lou:

I was expecting to hear from you, sooner or later. I, as well as many of us on this forum, know that you, Bill and Pete, as well as a few others, will defend Mr. Cushman, regardless of the facts. So be it. I accept that no one will ever change you mind.

Gary

#9 NRATC53

NRATC53

Soon to be Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 20,835 posts

Posted February 03 2017 - 12:37 PM

Then why are you posting here? We have people who were there (you were not) yet you continue to push your line of fantasy. Should I ask who posed as a prospective employer using John's SSN to get a copy of his records from Cornell (doing so is illegal)? Please stop this, it does no good to the firearms community. It is shown that you have lied repeatedly about this, yet you continue. You wonder why folks don't want to get involved in the 2A rights fight? I have consistently avoided commenting on your posts about SASI, your NRA Board choices etc.Why is it that you can't seem to help yourself but jump in with untruths whenever John's name comes up? It saddens me that you would waste talent on such stuff, time that could be better spent working together

• Parashooter and RoadRage like this

#10 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• 10,468 posts

Posted February 03 2017 - 01:40 PM

Bill:

I know, as well as do many others, that you have, unfortunately, become an apologist for Mr. Cushman. Regardless of what you say, you cannot change the facts. Trying to throw mud, on me, in this way, is like Obama using the race card, every time anyone disagreed with him or his ideas of what is right. If people still choose to vote for Mr. Cushman, after they know the facts, so be it but they are entitled to the facts. And, no Bill, he was ousted from SASI, told never to return. He was, also, given the opportunity to quietly resign or be ousted, from NYSRPA, until Tom King brought him back.

Gary

I didn't see any apology in Bill's comment - there's nothing to apologize for.    

Lou:

I was expecting to hear from you, sooner or later. I, as well as many of us on this forum, know that you, Bill and Pete, as well as a few others, will defend Mr. Cushman, regardless of the facts. So be it. I accept that no one will ever change you mind.

Gary

Yep, now your arrogance is showing - You just brush aside facts presented from someone who was there - when you were not - You must be a closet liberal.

Now - the issue of "degree" versus "certificate"    Nevermind how someone illegally obtained the information...  You do know that the difference between receiving a 'degree' and receiving a 'certificate' is a matter of whether or not you've paid the extra fees right?  Yeah, you simply need to do more paperwork, pay the matriculation, maybe take a couple non-related State-required electives and Oh my! that certificate suddenly transforms magically into a degree....   

So you can stop pissing about that non-issue.

I've studied at several colleges and universities - that I don't have degrees from - because I didn't feel the need to take the required non-related electives....  I am NOT sitting through a semester of "Gay issues" (not the exact name of the course, but that's the short title)...   I don't have my Computer sciences degree either - because I didn't pay the extra $3,000 to get it...  But I made a good living in IT for a long time, with just a 'lowly certificate'  (back then a Microsoft certification was more important than a degree for that matter)

I took the courses that suited my needs and interests.

Now - you want to belittle truck driving as a profession?   You have no idea about that business do you?  it is not a business or job for a dumb person, they have strict requirements to meet.

Remember, there are a lot of people that piss on insurance sales as a 'profession' too....

By your logic, is a mechanic a 'professional'? or a Carpenter?  How about a Plumber?  or are none of those "good enough" to be Directors either?  Since none of those Professions require a "degree"?  (go ahead, say it, alienate most of the members here)

YOU need to go away.   STOP  making personal attacks.   We left your recommendation thread alone, even with its obvious agenda-driven content,  now it's time for you to show some respect.

• NRATC53, John L, RoadRage and 1 other like this

#11 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• 10,468 posts

Posted February 03 2017 - 09:57 PM

Bump for the evening crew... (not gonna be condescending and call you 'newbies')
  • NRATC53 likes this

#12 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 10,468 posts

Posted February 04 2017 - 01:36 PM

Has everyone gotten their ballots in your NRA magazines? - or in the mail if you're a digital subscriber?

You're eligible to vote if you've been either an annual member for 5 years - or are a paid-up Life Member or higher (if you're on Easy-Pay Life, you won't be eligible until either 5 years continuous membership, or Life Member dues are fully paid.)

#13 NRATC53

NRATC53

Soon to be Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 20,835 posts

Posted February 04 2017 - 10:55 PM

John is a local guy, who has done more for 2A than any other 2 folks around here you can name

• Parashooter, killian and RoadRage like this

#14 anothersteve

anothersteve

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 818 posts

Posted February 05 2017 - 06:49 AM

John is a local guy, who has done more for 2A than any other 2 folks around here you can name

And if you ever meet him ask him about the time way back when he caught an intruder in his neighbors house. Not many would do what he did, and take a chance like that. He is a good man.

Later, Steve

• NRATC53, Parashooter and RoadRage like this

#15 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• 10,468 posts

Posted February 05 2017 - 01:23 PM

And if you ever meet him ask him about the time way back when he caught an intruder in his neighbors house. Not many would do what he did, and take a chance like that. He is a good man.

Later, Steve

Yep... I've heard of the incident.

#16 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 10,468 posts

Posted February 05 2017 - 10:21 PM

Evening Kick..

#17 NRATC53

NRATC53

Soon to be Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 20,835 posts

Posted February 06 2017 - 08:45 AM

Later, Steve

I know of it, have done similar. John is a great guy with no fear, some folks don't know how to handle that, and it scares them. Too bad for them

• Parashooter likes this

#18 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

• Club LIF Member
  • 4,989 posts

Posted February 06 2017 - 09:28 AM

Then why are you posting here? We have people who were there (you were not) yet you continue to push your line of fantasy. Should I ask who posed as a prospective employer using John's SSN to get a copy of his records from Cornell (doing so is illegal)? Please stop this, it does no good to the firearms community. It is shown that you have lied repeatedly about this, yet you continue. You wonder why folks don't want to get involved in the 2A rights fight? I have consistently avoided commenting on your posts about SASI, your NRA Board choices etc.Why is it that you can't seem to help yourself but jump in with untruths whenever John's name comes up? It saddens me that you would waste talent on such stuff, time that could be better spent working together

Bill:

The one, who is telling lies, is you. I've documented what I've said. Don't you think it's time you stopped using  your mud-slinging tactics, to try to cover the truth?
Gary

#19 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 4,989 posts

Posted February 06 2017 - 09:32 AM

I didn't see any apology in Bill's comment - there's nothing to apologize for.    

Yep, now your arrogance is showing - You just brush aside facts presented from someone who was there - when you were not - You must be a closet liberal.

Now - the issue of "degree" versus "certificate"    Nevermind how someone illegally obtained the information...  You do know that the difference between receiving a 'degree' and receiving a 'certificate' is a matter of whether or not you've paid the extra fees right?  Yeah, you simply need to do more paperwork, pay the matriculation, maybe take a couple non-related State-required electives and Oh my! that certificate suddenly transforms magically into a degree....   

So you can stop pissing about that non-issue.

I've studied at several colleges and universities - that I don't have degrees from - because I didn't feel the need to take the required non-related electives....  I am NOT sitting through a semester of "Gay issues" (not the exact name of the course, but that's the short title)...   I don't have my Computer sciences degree either - because I didn't pay the extra $3,000 to get it...  But I made a good living in IT for a long time, with just a 'lowly certificate'  (back then a Microsoft certification was more important than a degree for that matter)

I took the courses that suited my needs and interests.

Now - you want to belittle truck driving as a profession?   You have no idea about that business do you?  it is not a business or job for a dumb person, they have strict requirements to meet.

Remember, there are a lot of people that piss on insurance sales as a 'profession' too....

By your logic, is a mechanic a 'professional'? or a Carpenter?  How about a Plumber?  or are none of those "good enough" to be Directors either?  Since none of those Professions require a "degree"?  (go ahead, say it, alienate most of the members here)

YOU need to go away.   STOP  making personal attacks.   We left your recommendation thread alone, even with its obvious agenda-driven content,  now it's time for you to show some respect.

Pete:

As usual, you're trying to obfuscate and change to focus of the issue. I never denigrated truck driving, as an occupation. All I did was clarify that he claimed one thing, while the facts were another. There is nothing wrong, with being a truck driver. It's an honorable occupation.

Gary

#20 NRATC53

NRATC53

Soon to be Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 20,835 posts

Posted February 06 2017 - 10:18 AM

Bill:

The one, who is telling lies, is you. I've documented what I've said. Don't you think it's time you stopped using  your mud-slinging tactics, to try to cover the truth?
Gary

Gary- Go away already. It has been clearly shown that YOU are the one lying about many things. Your personal crusade against John is well documented. You have sat in your little corner and stamped your feet like a spoiled child, denying what transpired, even when those who were there have said what really happened. Being the bigger man, John did not have you prosecuted, you should be glad for that and just stop. The word degree was used instead of certificate. Big Deal. As I said earlier, if John stopped doing any 2A work right this second, you'd be hard pressed to get 1/10th of what he's accomplished done in that arena if you spent several lifetimes at it. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm apologizing....

Pete:

As usual, you're trying to obfuscate and change to focus of the issue. I never denigrated truck driving, as an occupation. All I did was clarify that he claimed one thing, while the facts were another. There is nothing wrong, with being a truck driver. It's an honorable occupation.

Gary

Yes, John is a retired Professional Driver. He has also worked with the Teamsters Union both in his own shop and on other levels, sometimes taking them to task for things they should not have been doing, sometimes advocating for his fellow union members. He took his Labor Law classes with Bill Lindsey, former Presiding Officer of the Suffolk Legislature. Although they disagreed on some things, there was a mutual respect of each other's accomplishments and PO Lindsey was careful not to tangle with John as he knew John knew his stuff, and would pin anyone to the mat if they tried anything underhanded in the Legislature.

Please, use your talents to help the cause, NOT  to bang the tired drum of your personal crusade

• Parashooter, John L and Lou G like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users