Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Suffolk county hunting license information

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Plinkster88

Plinkster88

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSuffolk county

Posted February 01 2017 - 10:32 PM

Does anyone know how to sign up for a class to get my hunting permit? Or how to look for a class to take?

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Camaro45th

Camaro45th

Sharp Shooter!

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted February 02 2017 - 05:26 AM

Did you take the hunter safety course?

#3 LarryD23

LarryD23

Sharp Shooter!

• 403 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted February 02 2017 - 06:35 AM

Did you take the hunter safety course?

Does anyone know where the course is being offered? I check the NYS DEC website almost every day and have yet to find anything within 100 miles. It seems like most courses are full by the time they are posted.

Unfortunately, you can't take your kids to the Nassau Rifle and Pistol Range without taking this course. Because... you know... every target shooter needs to know how long to wait before you start tracking a wounded deer. (BTW It's 30 minutes if you haven't completed the online part of the course. LOL)

#4 Camaro45th

Camaro45th

Sharp Shooter!

• 424 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted February 02 2017 - 06:40 AM

If your out in Suffolk I took my class last year at some archery range. Maybe try giving them a call? I want to say in patchogue?

#5 LarryD23

LarryD23

Sharp Shooter!

• 403 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted February 02 2017 - 07:01 AM

If your out in Suffolk I took my class last year at some archery range. Maybe try giving them a call? I want to say in patchogue?

You're probably thinking about Smith Point Archery. They have a class on the 11th which was also full by the time I found it.

I have been told that Campsite offers classes but there is no information posted on their website.

#6 Camaro45th

Camaro45th

Sharp Shooter!

• 424 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted February 02 2017 - 07:02 AM

That sounds about right.

#7 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 7,348 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted February 02 2017 - 07:44 AM

If you have an out of state non resident hunting license, New York will honor it and let you buy a NY hunting license. This is a great time to hunt predators upstate. Coyote hunting in Sullivan County is very popular.
Spring Turkey opens in May. Good time to scout the land for deer.

#8 Plinkster88

Plinkster88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSuffolk county

Posted February 02 2017 - 07:53 AM

Yea I can find anything online for hunting safety course. All the classes I find are full.

#9 Plinkster88

Plinkster88

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSuffolk county

Posted February 02 2017 - 08:09 AM

I honestly don't even know who offers them

#10 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,348 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted February 02 2017 - 08:09 AM

Yea I can find anything online for hunting safety course. All the classes I find are full.

T&T Gunnery has offered the class. It's offered during the summer just before hunting license go on sale in time to apply for DMP doe tags.

#11 Camaro45th

Camaro45th

Sharp Shooter!

• 424 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted February 02 2017 - 08:47 AM

T&T Gunnery has offered the class. It's offered during the summer just before hunting license go on sale in time to apply for DMP doe tags.

I would say your better off looking for Mitchell field. I tried waiting for them last year they didn't offer it once. They can't seem to figure out what to do about giving the class.

#12 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,348 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted February 02 2017 - 09:12 AM

I would say your better off looking for Mitchell field. I tried waiting for them last year they didn't offer it once. They can't seem to figure out what to do about giving the class.

I took it back in 1983 at Mitchell Field. The RO for T&T his name is Joe. He gives the class.

#13 Camaro45th

Camaro45th

Sharp Shooter!

• 424 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted February 02 2017 - 09:19 AM

I took it back in 1983 at Mitchell Field. The RO for T&T his name is Joe. He gives the class.

yeah I know who your talking about, I kept hearing that they were trying to figure out when to have it, never happened. I was going to take it at Mitchell field last year, but the smith point archery one came up and it was better. 1 Saturday like 9-3ish. Instead of a couple of nights.

#14 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,348 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted February 02 2017 - 09:41 AM

yeah I know who your talking about, I kept hearing that they were trying to figure out when to have it, never happened. I was going to take it at Mitchell field last year, but the smith point archery one came up and it was better. 1 Saturday like 9-3ish. Instead of a couple of nights.

Take the Bow Hunter course. Gives you the opportunity to hunt early and a chance at of seeing more deer.

#15 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 3,974 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted February 02 2017 - 10:07 AM

You need to take the Hunter Safety course first.

#16 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,348 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted February 02 2017 - 10:21 AM

You need to take the Hunter Safety course first.

The OP needs that portion completed. I recommend people who have a hunting license to take a bow hunting course since the season starts early, better opportunity for deer hunting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users