Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Non-Resident CT CCW permit good in PA?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Shotgun

Mr. Shotgun

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 1,615 posts
  • LocationBehind Enemy Lines

Posted January 30 2017 - 10:10 PM

Hello everyone,

I was just on usacarry.org and clicked on "non-resident CT" CCW and noticed that PA accepts it? Is this true?

I'm a NYC resident with a CT non resident CCW and a FL non-resident CCW. Thanks!

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 7,246 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted January 30 2017 - 10:13 PM

No, only a New Hampshire non resident is recognized in Pennsylvania.
You can drive 4 hours to Centre County Pennsylvania and get a LTC .

#3 LarryD23

LarryD23

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • 349 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted January 31 2017 - 07:01 AM

No, only a New Hampshire non resident is recognized in Pennsylvania.
You can drive 4 hours to Centre County Pennsylvania and get a LTC .

New Hampshire non-resident takes about 4 weeks and does not require a NYS pistol license.

• Mr. Shotgun likes this

#4 Mr. Shotgun

Mr. Shotgun

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 1,615 posts

Posted January 31 2017 - 09:08 AM

New Hampshire non-resident takes about 4 weeks and does not require a NYS pistol license.

If I sent them a copy of my NYC premesis pistol permit, along with my CT non-res carry and FL Non res carry, would they use the NYC permit as a cause to deny me since it's marked "Not for Carry"? I'm just curious, and maybe overthinking it a bit...

#5 LarryD23

LarryD23

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • 349 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted January 31 2017 - 12:25 PM

If I sent them a copy of my NYC premesis pistol permit, along with my CT non-res carry and FL Non res carry, would they use the NYC permit as a cause to deny me since it's marked "Not for Carry"? I'm just curious, and maybe overthinking it a bit...

I got my NH a few months ago. I did not give them any information regarding my NYS pistol license. The only license number I gave them was my drivers license.

Although the NH Non-Resident CCW form has not been updated and still includes a box for your "Resident State License No.", if you read the instructions on their website they note that you do not need to provide that information: 

***UPDATE 10/25/16*** Please be advised that due to the New Hampshire Supreme Court opinion Bach v. New Hampshire Department of Safety, ___ N.H. ___ (No. 2014-0721, decided June 2, 2016), Out-of-State Residents applying for a Non-Resident Pistol/Revolver License are NOT required to supply the Resident State License Number on Form DSSP 260 and are NOT required to supply either a copy of a valid concealed carry license issued by the state, county, or town in which they reside OR a letter from their local police department, as described in Saf-C 2102.03© and on the reverse of Form DSSP 260.

• Mr. Shotgun likes this

#6 Mr. Shotgun

Mr. Shotgun

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 1,615 posts

Posted January 31 2017 - 02:27 PM

I got my NH a few months ago. I did not give them any information regarding my NYS pistol license. The only license number I gave them was my drivers license.

Although the NH Non-Resident CCW form has not been updated and still includes a box for your "Resident State License No.", if you read the instructions on their website they note that you do not need to provide that information: 

***UPDATE 10/25/16*** Please be advised that due to the New Hampshire Supreme Court opinion Bach v. New Hampshire Department of Safety, ___ N.H. ___ (No. 2014-0721, decided June 2, 2016), Out-of-State Residents applying for a Non-Resident Pistol/Revolver License are NOT required to supply the Resident State License Number on Form DSSP 260 and are NOT required to supply either a copy of a valid concealed carry license issued by the state, county, or town in which they reside OR a letter from their local police department, as described in Saf-C 2102.03© and on the reverse of Form DSSP 260.

Thank you! it would be nice if they updated their application form and instructions too...lol

#7 LarryD23

LarryD23

Sharp Shooter!

• 349 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted January 31 2017 - 03:48 PM

Thank you! it would be nice if they updated their application form and instructions too...lol

On the plus side... it doesn't get any easier than this and I think it took around four weeks for me to receive my NH license.

• Mr. Shotgun likes this

#8 Steyr AUG man

Steyr AUG man

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 1,049 posts

Posted January 31 2017 - 07:06 PM

Here's a link to the N.H. decision.  http://cases.justia....f?ts=1464874340

It is an interesting decision. The court decided that the Public Safety department acted Ultra vires in inventing a new licensing requirement, and was therefore acting outside of their powers.

The gist of it is that anything that adds any requirement to a statute, which is not in the statute, is outside of the authority of the agency attempting to do so.

The state licensing law has no requirement for out of state applicants to have a CCW permit in their home state. Apparently, the State Dept of Public Safety unilaterally decided to make that a requirement for non-residents to get licenses in N.H.  Like the police departments in our state, they are a government administrative licensing agency. not a legislative agency. They cant write laws. They can only administer laws written by the legislature. They were reminded of that when they went too far with that policy.

I think some 2A lawyers in new york need to take a look at that case and see if we can find any applicability to our situation to challenge our rogue licensing agencies who come up with new restrictions not in state law.

New Hampshire is sure a free state. They dont even require photos or fingerprints for CCW's.

Excerpts from the law: 

CHAPTER 159
PISTOLS AND REVOLVERS
Section 159:6

Hunting, target shooting, or self-defense shall be considered a proper purpose.

No photograph or fingerprint shall be required or used as a basis to grant, deny, or renew a license to carry for a resident or nonresident, unless requested by the applicant.

• Mr. Shotgun likes this

#9 Mr. Shotgun

Mr. Shotgun

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 1,615 posts

Posted April 20 2017 - 08:00 PM

Just an update, I overnighted my NH non-res CCW application on Monday along with a color copy of my enhanced NYS driver license, my FL non-res CCW and a copy of my CT non-res CCW permit as well. They received it on Tuesday, so now I'll just wait until I get a response.

#10 2edgesword

2edgesword

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 5,995 posts

Posted April 20 2017 - 08:24 PM

Here's a link to the N.H. decision.  http://cases.justia....f?ts=1464874340

It is an interesting decision. The court decided that the Public Safety department acted Ultra vires in inventing a new licensing requirement, and was therefore acting outside of their powers.

The gist of it is that anything that adds any requirement to a statute, which is not in the statute, is outside of the authority of the agency attempting to do so.

The state licensing law has no requirement for out of state applicants to have a CCW permit in their home state. Apparently, the State Dept of Public Safety unilaterally decided to make that a requirement for non-residents to get licenses in N.H.  Like the police departments in our state, they are a government administrative licensing agency. not a legislative agency. They cant write laws. They can only administer laws written by the legislature. They were reminded of that when they went too far with that policy.

I think some 2A lawyers in new york need to take a look at that case and see if we can find any applicability to our situation to challenge our rogue licensing agencies who come up with new restrictions not in state law.

New Hampshire is sure a free state. They dont even require photos or fingerprints for CCW's.

Excerpts from the law: 

CHAPTER 159
PISTOLS AND REVOLVERS
Section 159:6

Hunting, target shooting, or self-defense shall be considered a proper purpose.

No photograph or fingerprint shall be required or used as a basis to grant, deny, or renew a license to carry for a resident or nonresident, unless requested by the applicant.

I think the situation in NYS is different because NYS courts have interpreted PL400 as granting the licensing agent the right to restrict the issuing of licenses. This is why you have such varying rules from county to county in NYS. The courts interpretation of the laws seems to be the issuing authority can pretty much do what they want when in comes to issuing a license. Some counties issues full carry with no restrictions, some don't, some require firearms training, others don't. One of the ironies is one of the stated purposes of the law is to make the licensing situation uniformed throughout the state. What a joke!

#11 Steyr AUG man

Steyr AUG man

Gun Guru

• 1,049 posts

Posted April 21 2017 - 09:25 AM

Just an update, I overnighted my NH non-res CCW application on Monday along with a color copy of my enhanced NYS driver license, my FL non-res CCW and a copy of my CT non-res CCW permit as well. They received it on Tuesday, so now I'll just wait until I get a response.

they will just chuck the copies away. they are not part of the application process

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users