Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

CZ455 or Savage FV-SR

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 set2374

set2374

Sharp Shooter!

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 471 posts
  • LocationEast Rockaway

Posted January 27 2017 - 10:08 PM

Hey guys,

I want to try to save a few bucks on ammo and have a new experience. I haven't had 22lr bolt action, but I think it's time. After doing my homework it seenms the cz 455 varying (with heavy bull barrel) or the savage fv-Sr also with heavy threaded barrel would be good choices for a tack driver in 22lr. Any of you guys have them? Dor you like them? Any other guns to consider?

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• Topic Starter
  • LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 10,153 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted January 28 2017 - 12:22 AM

I've heard the Savage is very accurate and a good price.

#3 set2374

set2374

Sharp Shooter!

• 471 posts
  • LocationEast Rockaway

Posted January 30 2017 - 11:57 AM

I've heard the Savage is very accurate and a good price.

Me too.  The CZ is pretty gorgeous though.  I love that walnut stock.   The stock on the savage feels kind of cheap.  But if you drop a savage action into a Boyd's stock, it might be an interesting combo.  I wonder if the the CZ is actually better quality though.  I don't know anyone that owns either gun.  I hear Ruger has an American .22lr target model coming out soon that takes 10/22 mags (which I have plenty of).   Anyone have an American 22lr?   Any good?

#4 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator

• 10,153 posts

Posted January 30 2017 - 04:26 PM

Me too.  The CZ is pretty gorgeous though.  I love that walnut stock.   The stock on the savage feels kind of cheap.  But if you drop a savage action into a Boyd's stock, it might be an interesting combo.  I wonder if the the CZ is actually better quality though.  I don't know anyone that owns either gun.  I hear Ruger has an American. 22lr target model coming out soon that takes 10/22 mags (which I have plenty of).   Anyone have an American 22lr?   Any good?

Well I looked at the CZ your right id buy it but i love that style stock.
Attached File  cz-usa-cz-455-fs.png   119.18KB   8 downloads

• set2374 likes this

#5 PaulNYC

PaulNYC

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 51 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted January 30 2017 - 05:02 PM

I really like my cz455 american. They have quite a following on Rimfire Central

-Paul
  • Ancap likes this

#6 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator

• 10,153 posts

Posted January 30 2017 - 06:32 PM

I really like my cz455 american. They have quite a following on Rimfire Central

-Paul

That is a nice looking gun as well pricey just shy oh 500. If i was to by any bolt rimfire it be in 22wmr 

#7 HyFiveGuns

HyFiveGuns

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 109 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted January 30 2017 - 09:31 PM

I don't own the CZ 455 but I do own a CZ 527 in 7.62x39.  It is an excellent rifle with great fit and finish.  I'm a big CZ fan.  

#8 set2374

set2374

Sharp Shooter!

• 471 posts
  • LocationEast Rockaway

Posted January 31 2017 - 10:21 AM

Well I looked at the CZ your right id buy it but i love that style stock.

The Mannlicher stock is pretty sweet.. .except I hate the way it sounds when you have to explain what it is to a guy at the range.  :)  I like the idea of the 22wmr as well, but it's freakin' hard to find and when you do, it's almost as expensive as .223.  Honestly, .17hmr and 22wmr really need to come down in price.  

@HyFiveGuns.  The CZ527 looks great also.  It's chambered for a lot of interesting rounds.  The only thing holding me back on one of those is the cost of bags, $45 for 10 round mag?  I can't find any aftermarket mags for CZ either.  I though ruger was expensive. The 527 is on my list as well, but if I were going to go centerfire, i would probably have to also consider the Howa 1500 mini-action and the Tikka T3X.   Any experience with those?

#9 Ancap

Ancap

Respected Gunowner

• 149 posts

Posted February 02 2017 - 08:49 AM

I love my Savage MK II, it's one of my favorite guns

But the CZ is not only a nicer quality rifle, it is more accurate. Unless you get one of the random mk ii that is a really good shooter

The CZ is the rifle you hand down to your kids

Regarding centerfire, the Howa is the best bang for the buck with great accuracy, the Tikka has a nice smooth bolt action, the CZ is an old school quality gun that you don't see much of today....can't go wrong with any of them. Shoulder them and see which one you like best.

#10 HyFiveGuns

HyFiveGuns

Respected Gunowner

• 109 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted February 02 2017 - 08:08 PM

The Mannlicher stock is pretty sweet.. .except I hate the way it sounds when you have to explain what it is to a guy at the range.   :)  I like the idea of the 22wmr as well, but it's freakin' hard to find and when you do, it's almost as expensive as .223.  Honestly, .17hmr and 22wmr really need to come down in price.  

@HyFiveGuns.  The CZ527 looks great also.  It's chambered for a lot of interesting rounds.  The only thing holding me back on one of those is the cost of bags, $45 for 10 round mag?  I can't find any aftermarket mags for CZ either.  I though ruger was expensive. The 527 is on my list as well, but if I were going to go centerfire, i would probably have to also consider the Howa 1500 mini-action and the Tikka T3X.   Any experience with those?

You are correct that there are no aftermarket mags for the CZ but it's a bolt action rifle, not a semi-auto.  Not exactly the type of gun you need a bag full of mags for.  I'll tell you this, it is a really nice shooter and the action is smooth as silk.  Great fit and finish and quite accurate.  It's a blast to shoot..

• PaulNYC likes this

#11 Fotheringill

Fotheringill

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 618 posts

Posted February 28 2017 - 03:28 PM

I have 2 CZ 22lr's, one of which is the 452 Varmint with the bull barrel. I have shot the Savage extensively.

A few points-

The Cz's are more accurate and their price point reflects that.

The Savage magazines are POS. Even the CZ plastic mags in either 10 or 5 are much sturdier.

If one wishes to change a stock to make it look and feel better, so be it, but to me it is like putting lipstick on a pig which will bring the total cost over what the 455 will cost NIB.

The only modification I would make on the CZ if it is non hunting rifle is a YoDave trigger kit for under $0 or an Ace hardware spring for about 75 cents, both of which will bring the pull down to less than an ounce. NOT for a hunting rifle.

#12 set2374

set2374

Sharp Shooter!

• 471 posts
  • LocationEast Rockaway

Posted February 28 2017 - 06:07 PM

I have 2 CZ 22lr's, one of which is the 452 Varmint with the bull barrel. I have shot the Savage extensively.

A few points-

The Cz's are more accurate and their price point reflects that.

The Savage magazines are POS. Even the CZ plastic mags in either 10 or 5 are much sturdier.

If one wishes to change a stock to make it look and feel better, so be it, but to me it is like putting lipstick on a pig which will bring the total cost over what the 455 will cost NIB.

The only modification I would make on the CZ if it is non hunting rifle is a YoDave trigger kit for under $0 or an Ace hardware spring for about 75 cents, both of which will bring the pull down to less than an ounce. NOT for a hunting rifle.

Thanks for the tip.   Have you had any trigger time on the CZ 512 in .22lr?   If so, is the difference in accuracy between the 512 and 455 noticeable?   

#13 Fotheringill

Fotheringill

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 618 posts

Posted March 02 2017 - 09:59 AM

Never pulled a trigger on a 512. BTW- correction on cost of YoDave trigger kit. It is around $35.00

#14 set2374

set2374

Sharp Shooter!

• 471 posts
  • LocationEast Rockaway

Posted March 02 2017 - 12:14 PM

Never pulled a trigger on a 512. BTW- correction on cost of YoDave trigger kit. It is around $35.00

I thought the CZ had a pretty good trigger out of the box.   How does the YoDave kit improve it?   

#15 frank57

frank57

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationMaryland Florida

Posted March 15 2017 - 05:53 AM

I have a 512 in 22lr great gun more accurate then a 10/22

#16 Fotheringill

Fotheringill

Gun Guru

• 618 posts

Posted March 15 2017 - 08:56 AM

CZ trigger out of the box can go to 2.5 llbs. The YoDave can get it down under a pound. The Ace spring can go as low as 10 oz. If you hunt, don't change anything. If strictly benchrest or controlled situation at a range, you will be amazed at the pull if you modify the CZ trigger. Cost of the YoDave is under $40 for sure.

#17 bill3rail

bill3rail

Respected Gunowner

• 103 posts
  • LocationLI

Posted March 15 2017 - 09:18 AM

I have recently gained a great appreciation for CZ arms, and looking to buy another one.  Their reputation is amazing and they have a great following also.

I do have a CZ 452 but have not shot it.  From what I understand, it is a tack driver. 

Bill

Note to self...Get those unfired guns out to the range!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users